Restore my faith in men

Options
13»

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    IMO, as a once single guy that is now married, if a guy is worth his salt he'd be willing to wait until you're ready.

My wife and I went out for quite a while before we went down that road and that was because I thought she was something special. I wanted to make it clear to her that I was interested in her for more than her hot bod. There were nights when we were dating when I was ready to go but she wasn't yet wanting to start that sort or relationship. I was OK with that because I knew I had long term plans with her and that eventually it would happen.

If a guy wants to get you in the sack or he's going to break up with you then he's probably not worth the time. IMO, it's not unreasonable to expect to wait as long as she wants. Waiting is good, it lets you know who the weeds in the garden are.

Also, you may just be going out with guys in a different stage in life than you. Maybe you're looking for something that can be come something serious and finding only guys who want to hookup. Granted, guys have a history of not being honest but you need to make it clear from the start that you are not looking to be just a hookup.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    It's just that I met someone that seemed absolutely wonderful. And then he showed his true colors. It's just kind of disappointing.

You just need to keep at it. I had to kiss a lot of toads before I found my prince. You deserve someone wonderful and I hope you find him soon. :heart:
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Not single, but my wife is out of town. Rawr.

"When the cat's away, the mouse will play"! :laugh:
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Most guys just want sex, and that's it.
  • Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options

And a sammich...LOL

I coudln't resist.

If that's all a guy wants...karma usually comes around...most guys I know wants sex, but also want peace :)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

All guys want sex all of the time (baring health issues or being odd..lol) but some see at as a bonus and others see it as a necessity.

I always want it, but not so much if the wife doesn't want it. It's not any fun if they are just taking one for the team. :laugh:
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    We all like it and want it but that doesn`t mean we can`t be decent and loving too and happy to go without when we are caring for a lady. :flowerforyou:

This.
    Plus, if you don't allow them to go there right at the beginning, then you have a better chance of developing something with them.
    I'm not saying the "no sex until the 5th date" rule or whatever, but the constant sexting and emails about sex opens that door and you are less likely to make a lasting connection.

And women do it, too. I admit, I've gone with a guy simply because he was a tiger in the sack but his personal life was a mess.

Make sure the contact you have with the man is more well rounded, the give and take of conversation that doesn't revolve around sex. Once he is interested in you as a person, you have a better chance of it being about more than just sex. And if he isn't interested in anything more than sex, ditch his *kitten* and move onto the next one.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

Geez, generalize much? Would it be appropriate if I said most women are gold diggers? No?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If you just stop looking and are content with who you are and where you are you will find the right person. That happened to me. As soon as I was fine being single and completely and totally content with myself and being alone BAM! In walks the man I eventually married.

They are out there.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    It's just that I met someone that seemed absolutely wonderful. And then he showed his true colors. It's just kind of disappointing.

You just need to keep at it. I had to kiss a lot of toads before I found my prince. You deserve someone wonderful and I hope you find him soon. :heart:

I found someone wonderful!
  • nursedb
    nursedb Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Expectations lead to disappointments...

Don't go looking for the "perfect man"...you'll never find him. Instead, find the one whose flaws are minimally irritating :laugh:
    EXACTLY!!!! what she said ...absolutely!!!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I found someone wonderful!

I have to agree with you threre!
  • ConcordPhil
    ConcordPhil Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'll answer your question in a roundabout manner.

I think we, I mean men, need to do a lot more to recognize that what modern society sees as beautiful is only skin-deep. We are bombarded with messages on tv, movies and advertising that a "beautiful" woman is one who is thin, young and "sexy".

One exercise that I am doing is to work hard at recognizing when a woman does something that itself is a beautiful act. And then I will compliment her on it. This is regardless of whether or not I see her as a potential partner.

For example, I have a friend who is a grandmother and whose daughter, well let's just say her daughter does not have her life in order quite yet. My friend has taken on the responsibility of raising her grandson in what I see as an act of self-sacrifice. She could just have allowed the grandchild to be in a bad situation but she decided that she would sacrifice her current freedom so that the child could have a chance at a better life. I told my friend that I thought she was doing a really beautiful thing by being a parent to this child. And I used the exact words "a really beautiful thing". It may sound silly but by using the word "beautiful" to directly describe a selfless action, I am re-training my mind to see women not as objects but as full participants in this little journey of ours... with brains and hearts and potential and accomplishments. The other benefit I've found is that it helps me to see if a woman is more interested in her outer beauty and is neglecting those things that make her beautiful inside.

It isn't easy, like I say we are bombarded with superficiality every day. But it is worth it. And sex should be a normal healthy part of a loving relationship. So I would say take your time before going to bed with a guy. Give yourself the opportunity to see if he sees your inner beauty rather than just your outsides.

The flip side for women is this: are you more concerned with your outside appearance as opposed to your inside self? If you spend much of your time trying to emulate the appearance of so-called stars and celebrities, I would say that you will get what you are looking for.... a man who only sees the outside and is more interested in sex rather than getting to know you as a human being.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It might help if you "looked" at church, or volunteering. It isn't perfect, but it raises the odds of finding someone who isn't an *kitten* hat.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    @ConcordPhil - Thank you for posting!! I truly appreciate your kind advice.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Expectations lead to disappointments...

Don't go looking for the "perfect man"...you'll never find him. Instead, find the one whose flaws are minimally irritating :laugh:

Or the one who has flaws...that make him perfect to you.

I know, sounds stupid...until you meet him.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Thanks KristyKat! That was nice!

You're very welcome :flowerforyou: