Not everyone can get a flat stomach - True or False?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Gonna say false. Its not just about low body fat but having enough muscle to show your abs. That is what many people tend to forget is you need developed muscles to show abs. Unfortunately a lot of people do extremely low calories and lose a lot of muscle on the way.

People have to remember that 10% body fat with 120 lbs of muscle is different then 10% body fat at 145 lbs of muscle.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Btw if you are doing p90x you have to eat enough to cut fat. Most women are around 1800 calories.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Genetics a very important. I store my excess fat in my thighs so my stomach is flat. Women who store fat in their abdomen might have to get to really low (unnatural or undesired) body fat levels to get a flat stomach. Some women's uterus protrudes out slightly from their pelvis which can look like a "pot belly".

Also, no, you don't need to eat clean or paleo to get a flat stomach.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You can get a flat belly (no exercise involved). I got my belly flat not by exercise but by ditching grains/flour/legume/sugars/processed food. Exercise just helped my shape a bit. And moderate exercise is just good for the body. The human body is designed for movement. But body composition is mostly about your diet. Genetics and exercise cover the rest.

If you are skinny but have a "pot belly" - that is called "skinny fat". That's what happens when you lose weight my losing lean muscle mass. And huge amounts of cardio will do more for eating into muslce mass than fat mass. Especially when you aren't that overweight to start with.

The belly is from grains/flours/sugars/high PUFA vegetable-seed oils and processed edible food-like substances. (i.e. about 90% of the grocery store).

"If it takes multiple layers of brightly-colored packaging and a $multi-million, multi-media ad campaign to sell it, it’s not food. No one has to put meat or eggs in a brightly colored box with a cartoon character on it.

"Eat what you can pick, dig or spear. Mostly spear. LIve in Freedom, live in beauty."
    ---http://www.gnolls.org/2074/why-snack-food-is-addictive-the-grand-unified-theory-of-snack-appeal/

EDIT: I eat lots of fat. Mainly saturated fats. I get my fat through pastured butter, coconut oil, olive/avocado oil, eggs (have four today!!) meat - mostly red meat but I buy lean and add fat (all the bad crap they are fed ends up in their fat). I love Hormel's All Natural Uncured bacon!! Hoping to one day get my hands on some pastured meats. All veggies are cooked in butter and/or bacon fat. My occasional berries have either coconut cream (unshaken can of coconut milk) or full fat greek yogurt on them. Fat is the main part of what I eat each day. This is what got my stomach flat.

Oh good, glad we cleared this up, because I've been wondering why Olympic athletes, runners, swimmers, and fitness competitors who eat a lot of carbs and do cardio are such disgusting fat@$$es with big pot bellies....mystery solved!

Could it be that there is MORE THAN ONE WAY to get fit, lean and reach your goals?...Nah, that's too reasonable. Well, glad you found THE answer. Cheers.:drinker:
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Oh good, glad we cleared this up, because I've been wondering why Olympic athletes, runners, swimmers, and fitness competitors who eat a lot of carbs and do cardio are such disgusting fat@$$es with big pot bellies....mystery solved!

Could it be that there is MORE THAN ONE WAY to get fit, lean and reach your goals?...Nah, that's too reasonable. Well, glad you found THE answer. Cheers.:drinker:

LMFAO!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    As a friend pointed out, we could get a group rate to just remove some of those pesky pot belly causing organs that we don't need...

appendix, gall bladder, i'm done with my uterus... Out with it I say!!!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Gonna say false. Its not just about low body fat but having enough muscle to show your abs. That is what many people tend to forget is you need developed muscles to show abs. Unfortunately a lot of people do extremely low calories and lose a lot of muscle on the way.

People have to remember that 10% body fat with 120 lbs of muscle is different then 10% body fat at 145 lbs of muscle.
    Bingo!!!! Yes my answer is false. You not only have to lose fat but also preserve your existing lean muscle and strengthen your core to get a flat stomach.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You can get a flat belly (no exercise involved). I got my belly flat not by exercise but by ditching grains/flour/legume/sugars/processed food. Exercise just helped my shape a bit. And moderate exercise is just good for the body. The human body is designed for movement. But body composition is mostly about your diet. Genetics and exercise cover the rest.

If you are skinny but have a "pot belly" - that is called "skinny fat". That's what happens when you lose weight my losing lean muscle mass. And huge amounts of cardio will do more for eating into muslce mass than fat mass. Especially when you aren't that overweight to start with.

The belly is from grains/flours/sugars/high PUFA vegetable-seed oils and processed edible food-like substances. (i.e. about 90% of the grocery store).

"If it takes multiple layers of brightly-colored packaging and a $multi-million, multi-media ad campaign to sell it, it’s not food. No one has to put meat or eggs in a brightly colored box with a cartoon character on it.

"Eat what you can pick, dig or spear. Mostly spear. LIve in Freedom, live in beauty."
    ---http://www.gnolls.org/2074/why-snack-food-is-addictive-the-grand-unified-theory-of-snack-appeal/

EDIT: I eat lots of fat. Mainly saturated fats. I get my fat through pastured butter, coconut oil, olive/avocado oil, eggs (have four today!!) meat - mostly red meat but I buy lean and add fat (all the bad crap they are fed ends up in their fat). I love Hormel's All Natural Uncured bacon!! Hoping to one day get my hands on some pastured meats. All veggies are cooked in butter and/or bacon fat. My occasional berries have either coconut cream (unshaken can of coconut milk) or full fat greek yogurt on them. Fat is the main part of what I eat each day. This is what got my stomach flat.
    broscar.jpg
    My personal definition of broscience? Achieving results without having any idea how it actually happened.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    what exactly is flat to you? some people think that means having a six pack, some think you have to have no muscle and have your pelvic bones stick out.

i would rather have abs and a little pudge than no abs and boney hips.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I've done Insanity twice through. It promises you'll be cut in 60 days. After 120 days I still have a tummy :(

My arms are well toned, I must say and I am toned all over but I have to suck my tummy in when I'm out and about. If I forget, people ask if I'm pregnant :(:(
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Really? "Skinny fat?" :huh:

I have a bit of a "pot belly," do mostly cardio with some kettlebell for my workouts, eat grains/flours/sugars/processed things EVERYDAY (with the occasional cheeseburger thrown in)...

And have 19% BF. Not to mention well-defined muscles everywhere else.

Try again.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    I've done Insanity twice through. It promises you'll be cut in 60 days. After 120 days I still have a tummy :(

My arms are well toned, I must say and I am toned all over but I have to suck my tummy in when I'm out and about. If I forget, people ask if I'm pregnant :(:(
    Thats because abs are made in the kitchen not the gym. And if your not doing weighted ab exercises to strengthen your abs. your wasting your time. Insanity is a great workout but dont believe the late night infomercial.
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know I will never get a flat stomach becasue I had 3 c-sections and back in the day they cut you up and down instead of the bikini cut so they had to cut the muscles. So no matter how many crunches I do it will never be flat I can lose the fat but no muscle tone in that area :sad:

They still cut that way sometimes. Not all c-sections are bikini cut. I have a few friends who had the transverse c-sections within the past 5 years.

Back to topic....when I was in my early 20's and doing cardio 6 days a week, my personal trainer said that there are just some woman who hold on to a pouch no matter what....this was pre-kids for me. With that being said, don't give up, I'm not. I'm still trying to get the flat stomach I so want. Good luck!
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Genetics a very important. I store my excess fat in my thighs so my stomach is flat. Women who store fat in their abdomen might have to get to really low (unnatural or undesired) body fat levels to get a flat stomach. Some women's uterus protrudes out slightly from their pelvis which can look like a "pot belly".

Also, no, you don't need to eat clean or paleo to get a flat stomach.

This is exactly how I am! Even when I'm over weight I still have a relatively flat stomach (even some muscle definition) but no matter how hard I work out and how much weight I lose, the hips and thighs stay. Annoying but true. I have friends who are skinny, yet they store fat in the belly. Obviously I think it has to do most with genetic make up, some things you just can't change (without surgery)
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I think true.

For me, personally. I have a flat-ish stomach...but had the lower belly pooch still. Even when I was at my smallest and lowest weight. I think it has a fair amount to do with genetics in why some people can't get completely flat stomachs.

PLUS if I EVER had a completely flat stomach I would have to be anorexic or look it because of my ribcage. I would just look funny if I could ever get a completely flat stomach. Also...I don't think I'd have room for my organs and such. :P
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Thats because abs are made in the kitchen not the gym. And if your not doing weighted ab exercises your wasting your time.

Thanks. What are weighted ab exercises? Insanity uses body weight. I also do turbofire but that only uses resistance bands. Oh, I'm so confused :(
  • psuLemon
    Options

Its either what you are eating or in many cases people tend to under eat. How many calories you eating?
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options

Its either what you are eating or in many cases people tend to under eat. How many calories you eating?

Have a nosey at my food diary. I think it's open. Thank you.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Thats because abs are made in the kitchen not the gym. And if your not doing weighted ab exercises your wasting your time.

Thanks. What are weighted ab exercises? Insanity uses body weight. I also do turbofire but that only uses resistance bands. Oh, I'm so confused :(
    weighted ab crunches using an excercise ball and holding a 5,10,20 lb. plate behind your head. Squats and deadlifts work great as well.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Check this link
    http://life.dailyburn.com/fitness/get-abs-fast-with-this-weighted-ab-workout/