Not everyone can get a flat stomach - True or False?

Options

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Love my Tummy Tuck results!! Jus sayin'...

BUT.

The trick is KEEPING IT THAT WAY. That's much harder than the surgery. Believe me. Lots of hard work. Proper diet.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    So is it true that not everyone can achieve a flat stomach unless they restrict their diet extremely, by extreme I mean only steamed veggies, low GI fruits, steamed chicken etc?

No. Not true in that sense. Calorie deficit and training over time will reduce fat and develop one's physique. Some people may have a hard or impossible time achieving visible abs. But that is due to genetics; not due to extremely stupid dieting.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Lifetime of training, boy and man, not yet, but I am trying still... ask me another 10 years, :wink:
  • Lab2809
    Lab2809 Posts: 58
    Options
    false.
    i have an iron.
    be right over.

^^ Yes!
    Bring it over here lol.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Regardless If you answer true or false guys please dont let genetics be your excuse!!
    Genetics isn't an excuse, it's reality. People who are genetically disposed to carry their essential fat on their stomach will never have a truly flat stomach, or visible abs. That's roughly 10% of the population. Seeing as essential fat is essential for a reason, those people are genetically unable to get there, without causing severe health issues.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options

Genetics isn't an excuse, it's reality. People who are genetically disposed to carry their essential fat on their stomach will never have a truly flat stomach, or visible abs. That's roughly 10% of the population. Seeing as essential fat is essential for a reason, those people are genetically unable to get there, without causing severe health issues.

So I've just wasted my money buying a weighted medicine ball for my tummy workouts. Pah!!! My mother's got a big belly lol
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    what if you have belly fat and still have a flat stomach?

let me rephrase...what if you have a "soft" belly but its still flat?

are people who are genetically "supposed" to have flat stomachs always going to have them, even when they don't work on it?
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Regardless If you answer true or false guys please dont let genetics be your excuse!!
    No its not! I had a pouch in grade school even though I was skinny as a rail. And because of that I didnt believe I could have a flat stomach but decided to give it a try anyway. And If I let genetics be an excuse I wouldnt have gotten one.
    In my experience people always believe that they have worse genetics than they actually do, but never put in the work or the time to find out what their true genetic potential really is.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think it may be true for some people, such as those with apple-shaped bodies. They tend to carry their fat in their stomach, so it'd be harder for them to achieve a flat stomach compared to, say, an hourglass body. I'm not an expert on things like this though so don't take my word for it :p
  • tigersword
    Options
    No its not! I had a pouch in grade school even though I was skinny as a rail. And because of that I didnt believe I could have a flat stomach but decided to give it a try anyway. And If I let genetics be an excuse I wouldnt have gotten one.
    In my experience people always believe that they have worse genetics than they actually do, but never put in the work or the time to find out what their true genetic potential really is.
    Just because you aren't part of that 10%, doesn't mean they don't exist. n=1 does not equal reality, it only equals your personal experience.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Just because you aren't part of that 10%, doesn't mean they don't exist. n=1 does not equal reality, it only equals your personal experience.
    Yes but alot more than 10% of the people that commented on this thread answered true ( thats why I said dont let genetics be an excuse). If 9 out of 10 people can acheive a flat stomach its defiantely worth the effort, after all no one knows what their genetic potential is until they actually try to acheive it.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    Ahh thank you everyone for the replies. I think I'll just live with it and try to keep eating clean (a little fun once or twice a month) and strength train. Maybe one day I'll get my dream stomach.

When I weighed 110 pounds @ 5'6, I still had a belly. It was soooo discouraging. I was literally depressed about it. I guess I have to take things slowly and hope for the best.

Thanks again guys.

hpsnickers1 what do you generally eat on everyday basis?

Okay, did everyone miss this? You are 5'6" and when you weighed "only" 110 lbs you were discouraged. How much do you weigh now? Maybe I misunderstood - are you trying to lose weight or gain weight? Not trying to be rude but at 5'7" for myself an average weight range at your age would be about 135 pounds. Your height, your age, small frame would be about 118 lbs, or 130 on a med frame.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    My response:

You'll NEVER know unless you commit. Most people don't really commit to trying to get it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Let's try not to demotivate people by telling them what they cannot achieve without even having seen them before. If we were talking about attempting to fly by jumping off the empire state building, that would be one thing.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Yes but alot more than 10% of the people that commented on this thread answered true ( thats why I said dont let genetics be an excuse). If 9 out of 10 people can acheive a flat stomach its defiantely worth the effort, after all no one knows what their genetic potential is until they actually try to acheive it.
    I have a flat stomach. That doesn't change the fact that the answer is actually true.
  • cassie2467
    cassie2467 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    With everyone's comments, i think we just proved that everyone is different. But let me tell you my pet peeve, and my hubby falls into this category: Don't exercise, eats whatever, and has a six pack. A lot of African american men fall into this category.

....that goes away after they grow up...you guys must be under 40
  • fit_fitter_fittest
    Options
    Ahh thank you everyone for the replies. I think I'll just live with it and try to keep eating clean (a little fun once or twice a month) and strength train. Maybe one day I'll get my dream stomach.

When I weighed 110 pounds @ 5'6, I still had a belly. It was soooo discouraging. I was literally depressed about it. I guess I have to take things slowly and hope for the best.

Thanks again guys.

Okay, did everyone miss this? You are 5'6" and when you weighed "only" 110 lbs you were discouraged. How much do you weigh now? Maybe I misunderstood - are you trying to lose weight or gain weight? Not trying to be rude but at 5'7" for myself an average weight range at your age would be about 135 pounds. Your height, your age, small frame would be about 118 lbs, or 130 on a med frame.

I know I had a ridiculously low weight. That was 2 years back. I weigh 125 lbs now and believe me, I feel so much better. I don't mind gaining weight as long as I lose the inches. But all the inches I have to lose is around my midsection. It won't BUDGE!
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options

Thanks again guys.

I know I had a ridiculously low weight. That was 2 years back. I weigh 125 lbs now and believe me, I feel so much better. I don't mind gaining weight as long as I lose the inches. But all the inches I have to lose is around my midsection. It won't BUDGE!

WHEW! Thank Goodness! Sorry, just the mama bear in me rearing it's head! Good for you - don't worry, and don't be too critical of your pooch - we are generally our worst critics - probably not as bad as you think - I couldn't pull up your pic. :flowerforyou:
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    So is it true that not everyone can achieve a flat stomach unless they restrict their diet extremely, by extreme I mean only steamed veggies, low GI fruits, steamed chicken etc? I've been trying to achieve a flat stomach for over an year but to no avail. I still have a belly. Could it be something else? I eat relatively clean and have junk food once every 2-3 weeks. Currently doing P90x in hopes of getting a flat tummy - not four or six pack, just a nice flat stomach.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I've heard that stress is a huge factor in maintaining the belly fat. Just something to think about if you have a lot of stress in your life.
  • healthbunny
    Options
    Hope this helps. Courtney Prather (fitness model) posted this on her facebook page last night:

Most common question I get: 'What do you do for your abs?' Honestly I think the most underrated core muscle is the TVA (transverse abdominis). It acts as the corset by pulling in what would otherwise be a protruding abdomen. Sure, crunches are great for the 6-pack, but if you want a flat, strong core, don't forget about the TVA. Best move- the vacuum exercise: pulling the navel into the spine and hold. This can be done alone (while sitting at a desk) or during exercise to help stabilize the spine in more complex movements (like the squat).

Found this picture, might help explain >>> http://www.floota.com/images/TVA-floota.com.jpg