How Do You Quit Soda???

Options
I drink 8-12 cans of Pepsi a day!!! I bought stock in Pepsi so I didnt feel so bad on how much i spend every month, every time I buy a pepsi it brings my stocks up lol, thats seriously how bad of an addict I am. I swear its like crack, I keep trying to kill this addiction I have to Pepsi...but then after a few hours if I dont have one I get *****y and lazy and I just have to have one...I tried diet its so gross. I am thankful that they just came out with Pepsi next which is still bad but has less calories. I recently added more water into my diet, I went from 0 a day to 2 Liters, but I just cant give up the Pepsi in between. Everyone says wheen off and I try. Is there something I can substitute. I think its the carbiation that attracts me honestly, water is just so plane... :( HELP!!!

Replies

• PurpleStarKatz
    PurpleStarKatz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe try club soda or tonic water instead of pepsi.
    Also maybe try tea or coffee, something with a bit of caffeine because the caffeine is probably part of the reason you are getting irritable.
    I know I used to drink one can a day, and then it started making me really sick.. So I just abandoned it altogether. But I was still drinking tea, so I still got caffeine without the pepsi.
    Good luck to you!
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I drink 4-8 cans of Diet Mt. Dew.. I need the carbonation too.. but I also try to drink 100oz of water a day... I use a couple propel fitness additions to help drink all that water.. Try and find another completely different soda (diet) so that it's not close enough to pepsi to think it's just bad pepsi.. maybe try diet dew.. or Sprite Zero.. or Diet dr. Pepper... then wean off...
  • brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Put some frozen fruit in sparkling water(: It's so good and it makes me feel like I'm drinking soda because if fizzes. Way better for you than soda.
  • MrVixen84
    MrVixen84 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank god for Pepsi Max here in the UK is all I can say. God knows how much I would weight without this virtual Calorie Free option!
  • steffihoney
    steffihoney Posts: 392
    Options
    I have a hard time quitting Pepsi myself. I was only drinking a 20 oz. a day, but I knew I had to cut them out.
    All I can say is...willpower! I do my best not to buy it, but on my cheat day I might have a little, especially if I am eating Chinese or Mexican. I crave it worse then and when TOM shows up.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I drank tons of Diet Coke most of my life (Diet because of the sugar - diabetic) but I definitely had a psychological attachment to it. I just up and quit buying it one day and *forced* myself to drink water.

I'd say after about a week or so I didn't crave it and when I do have one (maybe once every few weeks) it isn't as good as I remember it :ohwell:
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I tried and failed to give up soda many times, but eventually succeeded. I was probably drinking four or more cans of Coke a day at the peak.

I did it by getting a seltzer machine, so that I could still have carbonated beverages. I went cold turkey for a month, and then switched to allowing myself up to 2 sodas a week, but only if I was out of the house. I had found, in the past, when I tried to give it up, I would be annoyed if I went out to eat and "couldn't" have a soda, and then I'd end up feeling deprived and giving up on the whole project. Letting myself have a few, in certain specific situations, was really helpful. I still have the up to two a week rule, but most weeks I have one can or none.
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just decided to stop drinking soda. the last soda I had was on March 3rd. I didnt cut back and try to drink less I just stopped drinking it. I do not buy it anymore. My kids are the ones who want me to buy it but I refuse to and tell them no it isnt good for you. I drink more water now.
  • LisaD1025
    LisaD1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try quitting the way I quit smoking: have one less per day, until you don't have any. Start by breaking habits: if you always have one with lunch, make that the first one to go and replace it with water. Do that for a couple of days and then move one to another one. The "most important" one of the day should be the last one to go. For example, the "most important" cigarette of my day was the first one, so I gave that one up last; and it was habit for me to smoke when I was driving (except when my daughter was in the car, of course), so I told myself no more smoking in the car, that I could have one when I got where I was going, but not in the car, and 90% of the time by the time I got there, I didn't need one anymore.

Anyways, this worked for me. It might work for you, it might not, but it's worth a shot. Eight to twelve sodas a day is a TON!! If you replaced those with water, you'd be way above the amount of water you should be drinking each day. And I bet that if you replace water for the soda, you'll see the pounds just drop off!!

Good luck!!!
  • mcgwnkrista
    Options
    I was in the exact same boat as you a month ago! What I did was I didn't say "I'm not drinking soda from now on" but I did tell myself I needed to cut back. Now I try to make tons of iced tea (usually peach flavor with agave nectar sweetening) or stock up on flavored sparkling water. When there is a special occasion or a huge family holiday dinner, I'll get Dr. Pepper 10 but only one liter. That way it's usually gone by the time everyone leaves.
  • Ballerina_Cara
    Options
    A nail drives out another nail. So replace the soda with another drink. They have lots of carbonated flavored waters in cans so it still feels like you're drinking a soda. This is something I struggle with a lot too, I'll be okay for a couple of days but slip up and have to refocus so plan ahead for your replacements.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, Today I have not had any yet and the craving is BAADD...But I am going to try and go all day without one just water, if I do really have to have one my body will have no choice but to deal with some form of diet soda option, but it wont be pepsi because the taste is just too artificial for me!
  • manthajill
    manthajill Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda entirely around 10 years ago. It's really hard at first, but once you get used to the new habit, it's not a big deal. Personally, going cold turkey was more effective than trying to wean off it. The nice thing about soda is it's an acquired taste. Once I'd gone a year or so without it, I tried it again and thought it tasted revolting. Unfortunately, I gave up candy at the same time, and fell off the wagon with that one!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water/seltzer water. I am looking at getting a seltzer bottle to carbonate my own water, and add lemon or lime juice to it.

Tonic water and club soda typically have sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) added to carbonate them so that adds salt to your drink.

It does take time, but I was able to quit soda by switching to 'pure cane sugar' soda only for a while, then went to the seltzer water. Now I can't even finish a can of regular HFC soda.

Good Luck!
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    So glad to read there are other people with similar experiences! I used to be well and truly addicted to energy drinks - it was all I drank! When I fell pregnant last year I gave them up cold turkey because of the caffeine (which was horrible because I couldn't even have coffee or regular Coke either!) but once my daughter was born, I slipped back into bad habits and was drinking 2-3 double size cans of energy drink a day. I convinced myself I needed the caffeine because of being tired with a new baby and lack of sleep etc. I tried replacing them with other fizzy drinks but it wasn't the same and I was crabby and irritable if I couldn't have one.
    The only thing that has stopped me since then, is following a strict calorie-controlled diet. As soon as I realised that 3 of those big cans was HALF my daily calories, I had a wake-up call! Now I still have one sugar-free can in the morning as my only treat, if I have a soda now it's always Diet Coke, which has almost no calories at all. When you add up all those calories, it's shocking how much you're saving by ditching them. Think of all those other things you could be enjoying instead!
    I know it'll be hard, but focus on dropping a dress size or seeing the scales go down. It won't be easy, but I promise you it's worth it!

Hazel, 25, UK.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The only way I could do it was cold turkey. Took all of about a week for the cravings to subside. Now soda makes me gassy and uncomfortable. Helps if you can substitute something you like for it - fruit teas, green teas and Earl Grey got me there :D
  • Zephyrmeadowds
    Options
    I like xs energy drinks. Loaded with vitamin b- no sugar/carbs in the ones I have
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Just switch to diet. And don't let the sky-is-falling brigade scare you away with ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS ARE THE DEVIL!
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    i havent had a soda in awhile. ( a natural ginger ale when i was sick on monday... but before that it had been a couple weeks, thats a lot for me)

all that to say this. i dunno how to quit soda. its so darn delicious! *smirk*

for me, it isnt the caffeine, its the super-bubbly-tickles-my-nose freshness of the CO2.

im cool with other bubbly substitutes like perrier... but sometimes nothing beats an ICE COLD, Diet 7Up, Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale, or a Diet Coke. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!
  • KP5555
    KP5555 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also had a diet soda addiction.... I drank 6-8 cans of either Diet Mt Dew or Diet Pepsi, a day.... Some days I drank more.... I quit cold turkey last year.... I stopped buying the stuff, and just made myself drink bottled water instead.... After about a week I didn't miss drinking the soda at all. Now if I even taste the stuff I can't believe I ever drank that nasty stuff. Yuck... Just stop... It is nasty stuff filled with crazy chemicals (not good for you)....