Who plans their meals in advance and why?

Options

Replies

• kbuelo
    kbuelo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I'm OCD. I plan my dinners out the weekend before and shop on Sunday. I do really simple breakfasts and lunches so I just make sure I have things on hand. I also plan what I am going to eat before I go out to a restaraunt, if at all possible, early in the day, so I can compensate for the calories with extra gym time or lighter meals. I really do fail when I fail to plan. :/
  • whit1108
    whit1108 Posts: 94
    Options
    In the mornings I log everything for the entire day for my meals. I do not log my excercise tell night even if i workout in the morning. Logging everything in the morning for the entire day has really helped me stay on track. I don't log my excercise calories til night time because i really dont like to eat them back. But i have been eating half back if i am hungry at the end of the night for a snack. This system has worked for me. Youll find out what works for you best. Everyone is different.
  • Numptcakes
    Numptcakes Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I tend to plan everything a couple days in advance simply because I feel more in control. Although often I still have too many calories left, or I'm too low on protein. Like today :mad:
  • kajo50
    kajo50 Posts: 12
    Options
    I plan at least my weekday breakfast, lunch, and snacks ahead of time so I can make sure I have what I need to pack them for work. I don't generally plan dinner unless I am going out and then I hunt the restaurant menu and nutritional info sites to come up with a couple possibilities.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've started planning mine the night before. Or sometimes I do it during the day before, while I'm in the kitchen and noticing what foods I have a lot of or is about to go bad, so I can get rid of it and not waste veggies too often. I find it keeps me from going over on my calories too, which is obviously my main goal. =D
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm actually finding it quite fun...

I'm ajusting the food to increase my protein for the day.

i hope i still feel as enthusiastic about this tomorrow

:smile:
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I do a 'well-intentioned' rough draft but then it almost always changes.
    If I don't do a rough draft then I have no idea that I'm overeating, until afterwards.
    In theory the overeating would be preventable.

That said, I still overeat when I do the rough draft - slow process of learning for me... :noway: :embarassed:
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I dont plan weeks in advance but when I wake up I plan and track everything from breakfast, snacks, lunch, snacks, and If I know dinner- then dinner too I like to have some calories left over for the day just in case dinner might change etc. But I do like to plan my day out when it comes. And if i KNOW I am going to a movie, or maybe Ihope-returant etc with the family I will look that up like days- week in advance and then plan my day around it. I will usually sneak 2 apples, cut up, into the movies so that I am not tempted by popcorn or candy!! And a water of course!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I plan mine for the day after my morning workout, mainly to make sure I'm meeting my macros. Planning also helps me make sure I'm using up leftovers instead of letting them rot in the fridge.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I do because prepping certain meals takes a fair amount of time and I try not to spend too much time in the kitchen, especially after evening workouts. And I am a control freak. :glasses:
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    It limits choices and makes shopping more expensive. If I go into the store, I know what is healthy and I look at that stuff and buy what is on sale. It makes me be creative in the kitchen and it saves me tons of money..

Had the opposite effect – shopping food bill dropped from £80-£90 a week to under £40 for a family of 5 (record was £23, and this was when I was a lardy!). Bulk buying long life staples, such as pasta, is far, far cheaper. Not too sure why it limits choice as we eat a varied & normally healthy diet and getting the children involved in the planning and preparing (only eldest allowed to use cooker) allows for some good family time after a hectic day/week at work.
  • Bubbles99207
    Bubbles99207 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes I do on the days that I go to work cause I eat then pretty much the same thing but on the weekends it does get harder. I feel its easier just do it that way and get it all done and I know what I am okay to eat. On the days that I know I am going to eat more - I just pump up my exercise and get more calories that way :-)
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    everynight i decide on breakfast and lunch for the next day, i pack my snacks and everything so im totally prepared. this has helped me with my calories, and my goals - it has helped me to be prepared and make healthier choices.
  • caviarblack
    caviarblack Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do it, especially if I know I'm going to be eating out or drinking with friends. It keeps me accountable while I'm out and I find myself envisioning my preset "allowed" drinks or calories and sticking to it.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes. Not that far in advance, maybe in the morning while I have breakfast I'll log what I'm taking to work for lunch, and what I'm going to fix for dinner, that way I'll know how many calories I'll have available for snacks or a small indulgence later on
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I try and plan the night before although I'll plan in my head the week ahead in case I need to buy anything.

Usually it's just a rough idea, if I fancy something different I'll change it but I like planning my meals so I know how many calories I have left for if I fancy a snack.

Like this
  • muppetsbear
    muppetsbear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do so I know what to eat throughout the day so I can have the planned dinner. My breakfast has little variation as well as my snacks. Lunch may be leftovers which is rare as I try to make meals that are small enough that there are only 3 -4 portions in them. Will a 20 year old oil field worker its easy.
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I plan my meals up to about 900 or 1000 calories. In reality I end up tweaking my diary during the day and end up with 1300-1500 calories.
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i plan a week at a time, I live 25 min from the nearest walmart, and 45 min (im 5 minutes from a grocery store but they are over priced and i still save $$ driving to one of the bigger stores) from the nearest dillons or hyvee. and only go grocery shopping once aweek
  • wally1uk
    wally1uk Posts: 120
    Options
    Yeah I plan ahead, not just days either but normally my whole week. I tend to find that if I don't it makes meal decisions harder and I can end up over cals.

Also, if I've planned it out, it means I know what I'm getting at the weekly shop and save me buying excess stuff or stuff that really doesn't go with anything and I start having weird meals just to use it up!! Golden syrup porridge with crab sticks anyone? :laugh: