How is Eating more and losing more weight working for YOU??

Options

Replies

• carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1800-2500 cals. My higher cal days are mostly from nuts, and nut butters...also when i lift heavy i eat more protein and fats, I have maintained 120 lbs. since Sept. eating this way! Good Luck!!!
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    bump
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Been working great for me..... My MFP is set to lose a pound a week which has my BMR set to 2300 a day... I am a firm believer in eating my exercise calories back (eat 85-90% of them back leaving 10-15% for error in logging or calorie burned numbers) I am currently eating 3200 calories a day (on my exercise days, which is 6 days a week) and 2800 calories a day (on non exercise day, which is one day a week and this is just my BMR 2300 + my 500 calories MFP had subtracted for 1 lb. a week weight loss) I am 34 months into this journey and have lost 305 lbs. and am still losing (last few weeks have been just like the rest, 1 lb. a week lost...)
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I started 2 weeks ago bumping up 200cals and eating half of my workout cals for a total of 2100-2200. I lost a little less the first week than I should have, 1.6lbs, but this week I have lost 4.8lbs with weigh in tomorrow AM. My jaw has literally dropped the last two mornings of looking at the scale. Note: I also increased my water consumption to a full gallon a day from 72oz. Worked for me so far.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I started eating a little over my BMR 1500ish plus exercise calories. When I got close to my goal weight I decided to up it to 1760 before exercise and I'm losing weight even faster, it seems. 3.6 pounds in the last 2 weeks. I'm switching to maintenance next week so I'll be around 2100 before exercise. I hope I don't lose any more weight, I want to build muscle instead.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Well, I work 30-35 hours per week on my feet, walking around all day, so my base calories are 1530. I typically burn 300-500 calories per day, and I try to eat enough back that my net is 1200-1300, and I lose weekly when I'm good (eating right, body is used to my workout and not holding water, etc.) If not weight, I definitely have lost inches the last 3 weeks.
  • lepardmama
    lepardmama Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go to MY HOME and click GOALS - you can either use the MFP goals or change to your own - click this and you will be able to manually change your caloric intake, etc.:wink:
  • mayralee13
    mayralee13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    bump
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump need to go back and read more.
  • KechiaG
    KechiaG Posts: 55
    Options
    I was stuck at a 10 pounds weight loss after 2 months. I asked some other MFP users for advice. The resounding answer was EAT MORE. I thought "what the hell" and gave it a try. I have sense lost another 2 pounds and more importantly, I feel better. When I was eating 1200 calories a day, I was cranky and sluggish. At 1600 - 2000 calories a day (higher on the days that I take Zumba) I have energy to burn! I was also expecting to gain weight because of the increase in calories, but I never did! I know the weight will come, but I'm so excited that I feel great and see my body changing. To me it's well worth it!! Good luck!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I recently upped my calories and started losing again after a plateau, but that is because I wasn't eating enough for my activity level. I work for a health company and do nutritional and weight loss counseling. The best thing since I see you just started in January is first make sure you are eating for your BMR and TDEE. I can help you with this, just private message me your height, weight, age, and activity level (both work and workouts - I need all activity) and I will help you make sure your settings are correct. Most people either overestimate or underestimate their activity levels which puts them in the wrong spot.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    When I started this almost a year ago, I was set to lose 1# a week on 1670 cals+exercise. I ate it all and lost more than was the goal. So I upped the calories again and left it for awhile, even though I was still losing more. Once I hit my goal I upped them by 700 and did an experiment, ate 2500-2800 a day with no exercise, first 2 weeks I stayed the same, the third week I lost. I have learned that mfp is a generic model, and the numbers it comes up with for maintainence for me is too low.......so I have to read when I complete my diary that I will gain weight, even though I know it isn't true.
    In a nutshell, eating more has worked and I lost a ridiculous 65# in even more ridiculous 5 mos.......all without denying myself anything.
    And that was 9 mos ago :)
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Back in 07 I was at my highest weight, 325. I lost 60 pounds in 8 months that year, kept it off for most of 08, and then slowly started creeping back up. I got to about 290 and put the brakes on, lost enough to get myself back to about 265ish by the start of 2011 or so, then stopped. I spent 2011 bouncing around the same 5-6 pound range, no matter what I did.

I started using MFP in January and got very frustrated because even though I was staying under my calorie goal of 1380 most of the time, I was still stuck in that 5-6 pound range. I started reading the forums, seeing all the stuff about eating more, and thought what the hell, I'll give it a shot. I upped my calories and have lost about 1.5 per week since then (about a month ago). I think the trick is finding the right number, something I'm still fussing with a little. I have my MFP goal set at 1800, but that's just because that is my upper limit. I usually net about 1700, which means that I'm eating 2000 or more on days I exercise. I never go lower than 1550. I give myself a range because all this is really kind of inexact and if my goal is too strict I'll just stress about it.

Every Saturday morning when I get on the scale I'm 100% positive I'll have gained five pounds. :laugh: Hasn't happened yet. Tomorrow will be my fourth weigh-in day following this new plan, and I'm sitting here right now convinced I gained, again. We'll see. :)
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's working fine :) MFP started me at 1600 for 1.5 lbs per week, and I was okay doing that... then I went to 2 lbs per week (100 or so to lose) and it put me at 1370 which made me extremely grumpy. I proactively (I did not wait for a plateau) upped them to 1800 after one "cheat" evening where I ate good healthy meals throughout the day except for at night when I stopped off for a poutine and my total was 2500.

The next day I was up one lb from obvious water retention (also, I felt like crap after eating junk). But by my next "official" weigh-in day I was down 2.6 lbs eating 1800 calories a day... and this week it looks like I am on track for at least another 2 lbs lost.

I don't have trouble eating this many calories and feel satisfied... usually plain oatmeal with strawberries, coffee and skim milk for breakfast.... a home-made egg mcmuffin (no meat) on a whole grain english muffin or a grilled chicken/tofu salad (if there are leftovers) and dinner that includes a gigantic salad. Apples if I'm hungry in between (rarely) and if my calories are low I add more goodies into my salad, like extra goat cheese and sunflower seeds or walnuts.

My exercise is really just walking at the moment and I eat most of those back... I might have 100 calories or so left at the end of the day. I am going to experiment with more exercise this week.

In short, it's going awesome... when I've tried to do this on my own I would restrict calories as much as possible and get stuck after 20 lbs lost and be miserable... whereas now I am happy and have easily broken through that 20 lbs.
  • AnotherJenn
    AnotherJenn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Did not work for me. Even under the supervision of a nutritionist and trainer I gained 4 pounds in 3 months :-(
  • Shanai1990
    Options
    bump
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 156lbs. I eat around 2000 cal a day. I very rarely net below my BMR. The number on the scale continues to drop, and I continue to lose inches. Last week I even lost 1.8lbs!
  • irisheyes42us
    Options
    go to goals, then custom, then change.
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of my calories too... but I am a bit hesitant... currently at 1520...but on work out days eat up to 2100.