IT Band Syndrome

Options
Hello everyone,

About a month ago when I started training for a 5K, I developed excruiating hip pain in my left leg to the point where I could barely walk. After that would subside after a day or two, I started getting stabbing pain in my left knee that would ultimately make my toes go numb. After experiencing that after two training runs, I decided to seek help from a chiropractor thinking I just needed an adjustment. She diagnosed me with ITBS. I've been meeting with her on a bi-weekly basis for deep tissue massages (ouch! :cry:), but she still hasn't cleared me to run, which is a huge setback for me. Does anyone else in the MFP world have this syndrome? If so, how do you cope with it and/or what have you found that alleviates the pain? I bought an IT compression band, but I haven't given it a try yet...wondering if anyone else has had success with one?? I've done the stretches she recommended, but they never feel as if I'm doing anything; perhaps I'm doing them incorrectly? I'm still able to partake in other exercise routines, such as Zumba, walking, & resistance training, so it hasn't destroyed my weight loss goals, but running a 5K before I turned 30 was high on my bucket list. I have a feeling this is going to be something that plagues me for the rest of my life, so any feedback, suggestions, or advice on how to deal with this inconvenience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading & I look forward to all of your responses! :smile:

Replies

• alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to my doctor, but I'd bet dollars to donuts (mmm... donuts) that my IT band is responsible for my current hip and knee pain. I wouldn't characterize my pain as excruciating, but definitely present and accounted for. I purchased a foam roller (ouch!) and have been using that, I've seen some minor improvement. I have continued to run

So, I guess what I'm saying is.... IT Band pain sucks, I'm sorry your dealing with it, and what stretches are you doing? :)
  • KySny82
    KySny82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to my doctor, but I'd bet dollars to donuts (mmm... donuts) that my IT band is responsible for my current hip and knee pain. I wouldn't characterize my pain as excruciating, but definitely present and accounted for. I purchased a foam roller (ouch!) and have been using that, I've seen some minor improvement. I have continued to run

So, I guess what I'm saying is.... IT Band pain sucks, I'm sorry your dealing with it, and what stretches are you doing? :)

If you don't mind me asking, how much was your foam roller? I've thought about buying one, but not sure that I'd actually use it. It's too hard to describe the stretches my chiropractor recommended, but I did find this site:

http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099&CategoryID=&PageNum=1

I've tried the 3rd stretch when I'm really bothered by it and it's been effective; haven't given the other 2 a try yet.

I've thought about just running anyway, but my chiropractor tells me that's the WORST thing you can do. She currently wants me to walk on a flat surface & log how long/how far I go before I experience any pain...not sure what that's going to prove, though, as I don't get pain while walking. Hmm...

Thanks for the response; hopefully, the stretches in that article will help you & if not, I'd recommend going to a chiropractor. No sense living with pain if you don't have to, right? :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    I use a foam roller to help keep me from developing this although I am not a runner. Usually before my workout, and sometimes on my rest days, I will do a bunch of foam rolling to loosen things up. Google and Youtube search for foam rolling. I have tightness in the thoracic muscles of my back, and foam rolling has done wonders to deal with that, and similarly for the tightness in my legs. It is not comfortable, and I don't know if it would help for full blown IT band syndrome, but it certainly does help avoid it.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I spent 40 bucks on mine. (http://www.amazon.com/The-Grid-Revolutionary-Foam-Roller/dp/B0040EKZDY/ref=sr_1_3?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1333814861&sr=1-3) You can find them much cheaper, but I like supporting my local running store :) I use it pretty consistently, sometimes I really have to force myself because it does not feel good at all!

I don't recommend you run through the pain, especially if your chiro has recommended otherwise. I'm just bull headed :)
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My sister is a physical therapist and has me using a foam roller on a daily basis. My pain went away after using it. I picked up mine at a sporting goods store for about $40. I use it on all my muscles though. It helps a lot with recovery times.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I currently suffer from IT Band Syndrome and I took the following steps.

Went to see my doctor who put me on anti-inflamatory meds, had my knee X-ray and gave me a referral to a sports medicine doctor.

Started rehab today with a physical therapist with sessions twice a week

Doing exercises 2 times a day for 10 minutes

Absolutely no running

Hope to make a full recovery in a month!!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    i too have had it band issues and zumba made mind worse with the jumping and such. i found some stretches on youtube for it band stretches to do everyday in general and stretches to do both before and after a workout. all of that is very important. stretch stretch and more stretch. also the shoes i wore were allowing overpronation and pulling my whole strids out oc alignment. j bought shoes that hold my foot, ankle and knee etc in a better more stable position. that has really helped! ive heard foam rollers can help but it seemed like a good bit of money for a foam deal so i took an old swimming noodle (the super big ones for 300 lb people) and cut it up. i know its not the same but i think i could fashion my own roller out of that. for now, i just rely on stretching and my shoes.
  • KySny82
    Options
    My sister is a physical therapist and has me using a foam roller on a daily basis. My pain went away after using it. I picked up mine at a sporting goods store for about $40. I use it on all my muscles though. It helps a lot with recovery times.

If it helps with recovery times, I just may need to bite the bullet & buy one...$40 does seem a bit steep for a big piece of foam, though. I guess you can't really put a price on something that helps make you feel better, though. I'll have to look into it a little more; thanks for the input! :)
  • KySny82
    Options
    I currently suffer from IT Band Syndrome and I took the following steps.

Went to see my doctor who put me on anti-inflamatory meds, had my knee X-ray and gave me a referral to a sports medicine doctor.

Started rehab today with a physical therapist with sessions twice a week

Doing exercises 2 times a day for 10 minutes

Absolutely no running

Hope to make a full recovery in a month!!

Your IT Band Syndrome sounds to be more severe than mine; I'm trying to avoid getting to that point. I know someone who gets injections every 2 months or so to deal with her's. I've tried the anti-inflammatory meds & they really don't seem to work at all. The only thing I've found that lessens the pain is icing and the Icy Hot patches.

Good luck to you; I hope your recovery goes faster than you're expecting! :)
  • Carmandicus
    Carmandicus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My athletic therapist recommended using a Nalgene water bottle if I couldn't find a foam roller... also those spikey, plastic dryer balls, or a tennis ball, are a great tool for stretching the IT band in the hip.
  • KySny82
    Options
    i too have had it band issues and zumba made mind worse with the jumping and such. i found some stretches on youtube for it band stretches to do everyday in general and stretches to do both before and after a workout. all of that is very important. stretch stretch and more stretch. also the shoes i wore were allowing overpronation and pulling my whole strids out oc alignment. j bought shoes that hold my foot, ankle and knee etc in a better more stable position. that has really helped! ive heard foam rollers can help but it seemed like a good bit of money for a foam deal so i took an old swimming noodle (the super big ones for 300 lb people) and cut it up. i know its not the same but i think i could fashion my own roller out of that. for now, i just rely on stretching and my shoes.

A few people have told me that Zumba would only make mine worse, but my chiropractor OK'ed it and there was only one night I was in some serious pain, but we did A LOT of lunges & squats that night & I think I hurt myself due to poor form. I haven't noticed any pain with Zumba lately & I went to classes 3 times this week. I've also heard that shoes play a HUGE role. As soon as I'm cleared to run again the first thing I'm doing before I start training is getting fitted for shoes. I like your idea on the foam roller. I think my grandparents may still have a few of those noodles left...I may need to try that because like you, I don't know that I want to drop $40 on a piece of foam. Thanks for the idea! :)
  • KySny82
    Options
    My athletic therapist recommended using a Nalgene water bottle if I couldn't find a foam roller... also those spikey, plastic dryer balls, or a tennis ball, are a great tool for stretching the IT band in the hip.

A tennis ball or a water bottle? Now those are somethings I can afford! haha Thanks for the tip! :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I like the rumble roller from amazon. I see a very experienced massage therapist as well as I do yoga. I would suggest doing more weight lifting and cross training. From what I understand IT is harder to diagnosis and other things need to be out ruled first. Id go see a physical therapist in spread of a chiro as they know bones not short tissue as well.
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    I got my foam roller at Walmart for less than $20. It's just as good as the pricier ones and better on your wallet ;)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Focus on strengthening the glutes and IT band. Donkey kicks and the abductor machine would be my first recommendations. Also, have your gait analyzed and your shoes fitted accordingly. And definitely do the stretching with the foam roller. It doesn't have to be a life long problem with the right physical therapy regimen.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I suggest you start rolling it out with a foam rollar although I use my rolling pin and its works wonders...learn the stretches (youtube) and do them every day...also strengthen your hip flexor muscles that will help tremendously...I have that same problem and I am still running after taking a couple days to rest and roll out the pain...youtube has strengthening exercises for the it band...good luck..strength training is essential for runners...
  • KySny82
    Options
    I like the rumble roller from amazon. I see a very experienced massage therapist as well as I do yoga. I would suggest doing more weight lifting and cross training. From what I understand IT is harder to diagnosis and other things need to be out ruled first. Id go see a physical therapist in spread of a chiro as they know bones not short tissue as well.

I have a friend who's son is a PTA and when she described the pain I was having to him & the location, he said IT Band right away. I do plan on doing more resistance training to help strengthen my leg. Thanks for the suggestion on the roller; I'll have to check that out. :)
  • KySny82
    Options
    I suggest you start rolling it out with a foam rollar although I use my rolling pin and its works wonders...learn the stretches (youtube) and do them every day...also strengthen your hip flexor muscles that will help tremendously...I have that same problem and I am still running after taking a couple days to rest and roll out the pain...youtube has strengthening exercises for the it band...good luck..strength training is essential for runners...

Thanks for the tips! I never thought to look on YouTube for stretches & strengthening exercises; silly me! :)
  • KySny82
    Options
    I got my foam roller at Walmart for less than $20. It's just as good as the pricier ones and better on your wallet ;)

$20? I could live with that! Thanks for the info! :)
  • KySny82
    Options
    Focus on strengthening the glutes and IT band. Donkey kicks and the abductor machine would be my first recommendations. Also, have your gait analyzed and your shoes fitted accordingly. And definitely do the stretching with the foam roller. It doesn't have to be a life long problem with the right physical therapy regimen.

As soon as I'm cleared to run again, I plan on getting my shoes fitted. I've been told I kick my feet out to the side while running...never realized I did that or how I even do that, but that's neither here nor there. I'm going to have to research a few things beore I get back into it seriously. Thanks for the advice! :)