IT Band Syndrome

Options
2»

Replies

• RunChristyRun
    RunChristyRun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have had trouble with my IT band for years. I have tried stretches, Biofreeze and anti-inflammatories. I will have to check out the roller thing...
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I saw an orthopedist for my ITBS. He had me stretch 2x per day as well as use a foam roller. Using the roller was PAINFUL but helped tremendously. I also used a Patt Strap. It helped a great deal. You really need to let it heal before running again or you will make it worse. I ran a race with it (I had trained all year for it) and it was pure hell, my leg was messed up for months afterwards. I tried KT tape which I love but for the IT Band the patt strap worked better.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have it on and off, and seem to have it under control for now. Back when it first flared up big time, I did some really intense physio and took about a month of running (blechhh) before slowwwly creeping my mileage back up.

Like others, I HIGHLY recommend a foam roller. It's the #1 way I keep mine under control. Gait and shoe fit are super important. I also have some "maintenance" stretches my physio gave me that I do every 1-2 days, as well as some exercises to address the muscle imbalances. Once I got the go ahead from my physiotherapist, I started doing some serious weightlifting, and squats and deadlifts have done wonders for evening out the muscle imbalances in my legs and core. Not perfect yet, but SO much better than it was. My IT band still grumbles a bit, but doesn't yell and scream anymore. :smile:

Wish you the best of luck! IT bands can be real jerks, but it's totally something you can overcome if you devote some time to it!!
  • ken1949
    ken1949 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have had ITBS off-and-on for the last few years when training to run half marathons. Based on my experiences and advice I got from a PT place that specializes in runners, I would recommend (as others above have):
    1. foam roller - roll your affected thigh on it for at least 5 minutes twice a day from your hip to your knee (at least 50 rolls per session)
    2. do ITBS streching BEFORE and AFTER you run/walk - there are several very specific ITBS streches (e.g. crossed legs with sideway bend to touch ankle, laying on floor crossing affected leg over bend good leg, etc - look them up on-line)
    3. strengthen hip joint area muscles (helps running allignment) - leg back kick-ups, leg side kick-ups, leg forward kicks, etc.
    4. have your gait looked at for pronation (a good running shoe store should be able to assist) and get appropriate shoes if necessary
    5. REST for a week if it hurts to run (walking is ok and should be done in place of running)
    6. if you run on roads, DO NOT always run on the same side of the road (the crown/slope causes one leg to have to compensate for the difference in elevation) . mix it up very half mile or so (if you can do it safely of course)
    7. use a run/walk approach to build up your leg's strength/tolerance/endurance - you want to keep moving but NOT to the point that it hurts
    8. ICE the ITB ligiments near the knee if they start to feel tender/hurt

Good luck
  • KySny82
    KySny82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I saw an orthopedist for my ITBS. He had me stretch 2x per day as well as use a foam roller. Using the roller was PAINFUL but helped tremendously. I also used a Patt Strap. It helped a great deal. You really need to let it heal before running again or you will make it worse. I ran a race with it (I had trained all year for it) and it was pure hell, my leg was messed up for months afterwards. I tried KT tape which I love but for the IT Band the patt strap worked better.

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but what's a Patt Strap? Is that similar to an IT compression band?? I purchased one of those, but haven't used it yet. I figured I'd try it out when I started running again.
  • KySny82
    KySny82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As almost all of you suggested, I purchased a foam roller at Walmart today for $14.95 (yay!) & decided to use it tonight on both legs. It felt unpleasant & actually more painful (which I heard = greater need for rolling) on my right "unaffected" leg than my "injured" leg. I also found the stretches/exercises to be awkward, but I guess I'll get used to them.

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions; they've been a great help! Many wishes for your continued success in your weigh loss journeys! :)
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    As almost all of you suggested, I purchased a foam roller at Walmart today for $14.95 (yay!) & decided to use it tonight on both legs. It felt unpleasant & actually more painful (which I heard = greater need for rolling) on my right "unaffected" leg than my "injured" leg. I also found the stretches/exercises to be awkward, but I guess I'll get used to them.

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions; they've been a great help! Many wishes for your continued success in your weigh loss journeys! :)

I actually had the same thing (unaffected leg was more painful), and my physiotherapist suggested that it was because my unaffected leg was bearing more of the load because my affected one was painful and changing my gait! Not sure if that applies to you, but I found that interesting. :smile:

Hope you feel better soon!!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    What are the first signs of this syndrome? On my left leg, on the outside area above knee, where my thigh starts (origin/insertion point of my thigh muscle?), there is an achy, almost cold, feeling there. Does this describe the beginning of this syndrome? Everyone once in a while it can be described as a very mild pain. I want to head it off at the pass if I can. I will hold off on running until I see my doctor Monday.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    What are the first signs of this syndrome? On my left leg, on the outside area above knee, where my thigh starts (origin/insertion point of my thigh muscle?), there is an achy, almost cold, feeling there. Does this describe the beginning of this syndrome? Everyone once in a while it can be described as a very mild pain. I want to head it off at the pass if I can. I will hold off on running until I see my doctor Monday.

I had a Orthopod tell me it was hard to diagnosis ITBS, they had to rule out other things first and if nothing was left then by default it was ITBS. I changed Dr's at I didn't like his answer. I would seek an answer from a soft tissue worker like massage therapist prior to a dr if you are thinking it's ITBS. I also am am firm believer that 90% of all running related injuries can be corrected by strengthening and stretching the hips for flexibility and stability.
  • eves313
    Options
    You can also use lacrosse balls, or just go to the hardware store and get some wide PVC pipe. That is what is on the inside of the good foam rollers anyhow and the hard core folks don't bother with the foam rollers. They just go straight to the PVC. It's cheap and effective.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's really not something that needs to plague you forever. You just need to start doing regular IT band stretches and rolling them out with a foam roller. The stretches are easy, static stretches and you can do them pretty much anytime throughout the day, or before, after, or during your run. You should get in the habit of doing them every day. Once you start doing them regularly, you likely won't have ITB problems.

IMO EVERYONE should be doing ITB stretches daily to avoid future problems.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

ITB pain can manifest as any combination of weird knee or hip pain or pain along the outside of the leg between the hip and knee. It can feel different in different people. For me it was mild to moderate knee pain that went away after 1-1.5 miles, so I regularly ignored it on my runs until it developed in to a worse problem. It's very non-specific pain. Yours could be that, or it could be something else. It's a good thing you're getting it checked out.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Holy necrobump...
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Holy necrobump...

lol, I NEVER catch these.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I used to have a great deal of pain from IT band syndrome as diagnosed by an orthopedic surgeon. I also am prone to incredibly tight hamstrings. I did a whole course of physical therapy with little to show for it. The only time my tough, leathery body feels limber is after a few warmup sets of barbell back squats. I also foam roll. The rest was a waste of time for me.
  • Dshed02
    Dshed02 Posts: 11
    Options
    KySny82 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

About a month ago when I started training for a 5K, I developed excruiating hip pain in my left leg to the point where I could barely walk. After that would subside after a day or two, I started getting stabbing pain in my left knee that would ultimately make my toes go numb. After experiencing that after two training runs, I decided to seek help from a chiropractor thinking I just needed an adjustment. She diagnosed me with ITBS. I've been meeting with her on a bi-weekly basis for deep tissue massages (ouch! :cry:), but she still hasn't cleared me to run, which is a huge setback for me. Does anyone else in the MFP world have this syndrome? If so, how do you cope with it and/or what have you found that alleviates the pain? I bought an IT compression band, but I haven't given it a try yet...wondering if anyone else has had success with one?? I've done the stretches she recommended, but they never feel as if I'm doing anything; perhaps I'm doing them incorrectly? I'm still able to partake in other exercise routines, such as Zumba, walking, & resistance training, so it hasn't destroyed my weight loss goals, but running a 5K before I turned 30 was high on my bucket list. I have a feeling this is going to be something that plagues me for the rest of my life, so any feedback, suggestions, or advice on how to deal with this inconvenience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading & I look forward to all of your responses! :smile:

• Dshed02
    Dshed02 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello there KySny82, I have IT band issues that I am currently being treated for by a Physical Therapist who uses workout routines to rehabilitate as well as foam rolling to help massage the muscle. I have been advised to continue my bootcamp style workouts, however I cannot jump, or run, but I still get an excellent workout. Get you a PT who specializes in those who train for things such as marathons and other physical training.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I’ve dealt with this also, except I believe my problem was caused mostly by running shoes that were the wrong fit for me. Thus, some thoughts:
    1. Try a foam roller / spikey ball (i.e. Acuball) - I use mine often and it hurts like hell when muscles are tight, but it works.
    2. Stretches - I recommend stretching your psoas as well as IT bands; a tight psoas can also cause knee pain and back pain.
    3. Strengthen your body - I do the Starting Strength routine of heavy lifting and it’s made running much easier for me.

Mind you, I’m not a professional, but these things have worked for me. I hope everyone here gets better stat!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MoreBean13 wrote: »
    It's really not something that needs to plague you forever. You just need to start doing regular IT band stretches and rolling them out with a foam roller. The stretches are easy, static stretches and you can do them pretty much anytime throughout the day, or before, after, or during your run. You should get in the habit of doing them every day. Once you start doing them regularly, you likely won't have ITB problems.

IMO EVERYONE should be doing ITB stretches daily to avoid future problems.

I'm not sure what type of stretches you're recommending but it nearly impossible to stretch your IT band and there's little evidence about it's effectiveness.

Similarly there's new evidence to suggest that foam rolling your IT bands is actually not good for them.

Read this article

https://www.painscience.com/articles/iliotibial-band-syndrome-stretch.php

What you need to be doing is mobilising and releasing the muscles that the control the IT band (the TFL, the glute max and the quads near the outside of the knee).

Kelly Starrett has some excellent Youtube videos on the subject if you search "Kelly Starrett IT band")