Low carb -help?

Options

Replies

• mariporter
    Options
    Since you're not actually on a no/low carb diet, just keep in mind that anything that has flour or refined sugar in it is usually high in carbs. Cut back on those things and you will see your weight drop.
  • Kal_n_130
    Kal_n_130 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Im not scared of muscles ... pretty much im a college student with a job and i dont know how to cook... and i live with my parents.. = dont eat much meat. i do protein shakes some days
  • Kal_n_130
    Kal_n_130 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    tuesday april 3 was a good protein day!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    @tigersworld yeah i was just wanting to cut back... like i said mine to day was almost 200! what would be a good number for me to start out? id eventually get it down to 50 or less but i loveeeeeee my carbs lol, if i could live on bread i would.
    If you love carbs, there's no reason not to eat them. I routinely eat 200-300 grams of carbs a day. There's no benefit to low carb dieting compared to any other diet.
  • afcgirl
    afcgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "If you love carbs, there's no reason not to eat them. I routinely eat 200-300 grams of carbs a day. There's no benefit to low carb dieting compared to any other diet."
    [/quote]

I don't agree. Read Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat" (amongst many others) and you may change your mind.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I'm familiar with Gary Taubes. He has no idea what he's talking about, quite honestly. He uses very bad science, and completely misinterprets studies in order to push his agenda. The man isn't a scientist, and has no education in nutrition, he's a journalist. It's his job to write sensationalistic crap to scare people into buying his books.
  • BeingWellAware
    Options
    Those that follow a Paleo diet plan, are also eating low-carb, but they include lots of vegetables, which are also low carbs but the healthy kind. Paleo dieters avoid dairy, grains and legumes (aka beans) so for some that can be pretty tough to do. But they have a diet plan if you're looking to follow a low-carb path that includes eating vegetables and some fruits.

I think the problem we get into trying to maintain a low-carb diet is when we also eliminate vegetables and fruits. We need their nutrients! They are good carbs. Fruits like berries, are good fruits, while others are higher is sugar content. Low-glycemic choices are best. In my opinion if there are any foods to avoid or reduce on a low-carb diet, it would be grains. But if you're going to eat grains, try brown rice or quinoa instead of white rice or wheat-products.

Good luck!

Carla
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat less cards help
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm familiar with Gary Taubes. He has no idea what he's talking about, quite honestly. He uses very bad science, and completely misinterprets studies in order to push his agenda. The man isn't a scientist, and has no education in nutrition, he's a journalist. It's his job to write sensationalistic crap to scare people into buying his books.

I thought Gary Taubes had a BS degree in physics from Harvard, an MS degree in aerospace engineering from Stanford and an MA degree in journalism from Columbia. So I guess that makes him a physicist, rocket scientist and a journalist (scientist =2, journalist = 1). The fact that he didn't study nutrition science doesn't bug me, given the loads of incoherent and inconsistent blather spewing out of the nutritionist camp.
  • tigersword
    Options
    That makes him an engineer, not a scientist. Also, he stopped writing about about physics and aerospace when he was discredited writing about both subjects for unethical behavior, including falsifying evidence to support his writing.

He's not a reliable source for anything, especially nutrition.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    That makes him an engineer, not a scientist. Also, he stopped writing about about physics and aerospace when he was discredited writing about both subjects for unethical behavior, including falsifying evidence to support his writing.

This. His lack credibility totally. Read James Kreiger's (who actually a nutritionist) critique of Taube's book. To think of him as credible is a joke quite honestly.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

This. His lack credibility totally. Read James Kreiger's (who actually a nutritionist) critique of Taube's book. To think of him as credible is a joke quite honestly.

I'm pretty sure Taubes isn't the only guy who thinks carbs and insulin matter. Probably enough people on that bandwagon to at least make it something to not be trivially dismissed.
  • tigersword
    Options

I'm pretty sure Taubes isn't the only guy who thinks carbs and insulin matter. Probably enough people on that bandwagon to at least make it something to not be trivially dismissed.
    Not really, the reason it can be trivially dismissed is because science has proven many times over that it's just not true. Protein spikes insulin just as much as carbs do. Heck, EATING spikes insulin, even if all you eat is fat. If the "insulin hypothesis" really held any merit, than the simple fact of eating, regardless of macro profile, would make you fat because it causes insulin levels to spike. Then there's also the little fact that insulin doesn't actually have anything to do with fat storage, and insulin causing fat storage is the entire premise of Taubes' theory. Everything about it is completely flawed, based on either a total lack of understanding of human physiology, or outright deception and misrepresentation of facts.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

Not really, the reason it can be trivially dismissed is because science has proven many times over that it's just not true. Protein spikes insulin just as much as carbs do. Heck, EATING spikes insulin, even if all you eat is fat. If the "insulin hypothesis" really held any merit, than the simple fact of eating, regardless of macro profile, would make you fat because it causes insulin levels to spike. Then there's also the little fact that insulin doesn't actually have anything to do with fat storage, and insulin causing fat storage is the entire premise of Taubes' theory. Everything about it is completely flawed, based on either a total lack of understanding of human physiology, or outright deception and misrepresentation of facts.

Ok, so what about Dr Peter Attia? Are you calling him an idiot, too? Attia also states that carbs and insulin matter.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I'm not totally familiar with Attia, but he's also not a medical doctor. He's an engineer with a PHD in enginerring, not a medical doctor with any training in nutrition.

I prefer to get my nutritional information from people with actual; advanced degrees in nutrition. Guys like Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    I'm not totally familiar with Attia, but he's also not a medical doctor. He's an engineer with a PHD in enginerring, not a medical doctor with any training in nutrition.

Sorry, tigersword, you are wrong there. Dr Peter Attia is an MD. He started his Ph.D. in aerospace engineering and then had a change of heart following a profound personal experience, and decided he wanted to become a doctor. He enrolled a year later at Stanford Medical School, and later did his residency in general surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland and while there spent two years as a post-doctoral fellow at NIH in the National Cancer Institute as a surgical oncology fellow.

He did a wonderful TED Talk, here's the link. This guy is certainly no idiot and knows what he is talking about when it comes to carbs and insulin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY

Eta, grammar, typos
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    If you're on a low carb diet then that means you are suppose to be eating lots of meat.

Wrong. Moderate protein intake for low carb.

To the OP............a lot of vegetables are low in carbs. Pair with a dip for a snack that gives you fat, protein and carbs in one shot.

With dinners and such use butter and steam, grill or roast your veggies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just eat the carbs and maintain a daily calorie deficit…

there is nothing wrong with carbs and they do not make you fat..

I am assuming you have no underlying medical condition that would make you sensitive to carbs..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    "If you love carbs, there's no reason not to eat them. I routinely eat 200-300 grams of carbs a day. There's no benefit to low carb dieting compared to any other diet."
    [/quote]

I don't agree. Read Gary Taubes book "Why We Get Fat" (amongst many others) and you may change your mind.
    [/quote]

we get fat because we over eat food…

there are no "bad" foods…

just over indulgences on food...
  • tigersword
    Options

Sorry, tigersword, you are wrong there. Dr Peter Attia is an MD. He started his Ph.D. in aerospace engineering and then had a change of heart following a profound personal experience, and decided he wanted to become a doctor. He enrolled a year later at Stanford Medical School, and later did his residency in general surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland and while there spent two years as a post-doctoral fellow at NIH in the National Cancer Institute as a surgical oncology fellow.

He did a wonderful TED Talk, here's the link. This guy is certainly no idiot and knows what he is talking about when it comes to carbs and insulin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY

Eta, grammar, typos
    Checking out his website now.

He never finished his residency, he left it to become a business consultant. He has a vested interest in supporting Taubes, as they own a corporation together. It would be bad for business if he didn't agree with him. Either way, I don't see advanced nutritional education in his studies, either (med school usually has at most 1 or 2 classes on nutrition unless the student is heading specifically into the nutrition/dietician field.)

I still wouldn't put him above guys like McDonald or Aragon, who have advanced degrees in nutrition.