*rant* Don't tell me it tastes like...

Options
I am sick and tired of hearing that "this tastes like pie" or "you can't even tell the difference between them"... ok I am all about eating healthier, but don't try and push that health products "taste like the real thing" because it NEVER does! I am tired of hearing about people also drinking their calories to try and lose weight "oh it tastes like pie!". We all know it does not and you have to be pretty far into your delusion of thinking that it really does taste like pie to try and defend it. Besides, I would much rather have a lunch/dinner replacement taste like dinner! When they start making a roast beef smoothie "so good it tastes like the real thing" I will try it. I do not want sweets for my meals!

On that note, the Pure Protein Revolution Peanut Caramel Bars DO.NOT.TASTE.LIKE.A.SNICKERS. I do enjoy my pure protein stuff, but don't sell it as something it isn't.

Rant over.

Replies

• JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    LOL

I feel this way about Yoplait ads in particular. They show a scrumptious piece of Cheesecake and then say hey have this cheesecake "flavored" tub of yogurt. It's just as good!

WHAT??????

I don't care what you do to it! It's not Cheesecake and it can't even approach it in being delicious!

And I like yogurt. They just don't compare.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    B-b-but vanilla soymilk tastes like vanilla ice cream to me! D: Lol but I guess I know what you mean...but still a lot of the stuff DOES tastes almost exactly the same. It's the texture that's majorly different.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Somebody needs a hug
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    I hate yogurt, but I have always attempted to try the ones that are "like pie"! lol And I have never liked them because as you said, it still tastes like yogurt! lol
  • cassblue21
    Options
    B-b-but vanilla soymilk tastes like vanilla ice cream to me! D: Lol but I guess I know what you mean...but still a lot of the stuff DOES tastes almost exactly the same. It's the texture that's majorly different.

After all the stuff I have tried that is supposed to be similar or the same, it NEVER is! It may have the same components, but it is never close enough that you would EVER mistake it for the real deal! :) Its like Fiber Ones brownies, they are good, but they are no real brownie!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Well, hate to break it to you, but I perfected a concoction with a certain brand of chocolate milkshake flavored protein powder, with some other stuff, to make a shake that I swear (and so does my teenage son) is exactly like a Frosty at Wendy's. I can't tell you how serious I am on that. Crazy identical, down to the consistancy. Nom Nom Nom!!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I was going to post about this on my wall. I've decided I don't like the Extra dessert flavored gum. It's good and all, but all it does is make me want a real piece of pie afterward.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Well, hate to break it to you, but I perfected a concoction with a certain brand of chocolate milkshake flavored protein powder, with some other stuff, to make a shake that I swear (and so does my teenage son) is exactly like a Frosty at Wendy's. I can't tell you how serious I am on that. Crazy identical, down to the consistancy. Nom Nom Nom!!
    I want that recipe, damnit!
  • cassblue21
    Options

I would LOVE to try this! Wendys is not my favorite ice cream, but it is delicious! I would try this with a very open...stomach! :P
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump on the 'Frosty' :)
  • sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You're right, butter and cream have no substitute (as my german chef friend tells me) but you have to love the food that is healthy, otherwise it will be torture. I have turned it around 180 degrees, so now foods with sugar and butter and cream and white bread are torturous to me.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    It may not taste like pie, but it totally tastes like a pie flavored milkshake. Mm-mm-mm.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Frosty Protein Shake:
    6 ounces fat free milk
    2 ounces sugar free chocolate syrup (not Hershey's syrup.. it's the syrup you find in the coffee isle. My brand is Torani)

2 scoops of the Chocolate Milkshake protein powder from Premier Nutrition (I buy mine at Sam's club. Tastes way better than regular old chocolate protein powder!!)

LOTS of ice= at least 8 cubes.

Pulse all ingredients until right consistancy.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste like pie...only pie tastes like pie.

Yogurt doesn't taste like cheesecake. Yogurts that need to be dressed up like they are cake or pie aren't real yogurt and generally aren't worth eating IMO. Yoplait greek yogurt is really plain Yoplait yogurt with cornstarch to thicken it instead of straining the yogurt to naturally thicken it like real greek yogurt. Check out the ingredients list of a Chobani yogurt and a yoplait greek thing.

You have to be able to appreciate different food for that they are. If there was a healthy, protein shake that tasted and gave the same sensation as eating a greasy cheesesteak, the inventor would be a multi millionaire in a week! Stuff like that doesn't exist.

If you want a piece of pie, have a piece of pie. Account for it in your daily calorie intake and enjoy.
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    I was looking at a low fat 'pie' recipe yesterday, the only problem with it being.......you guessed it, there wasn't actually any pie there!

The definition of a pie includes pastry, so how can they call it a pie? How about a pile of fruit in a bowl.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do, however, make a nice fruit crisp. It is NOT pie, and it is not zero calorie, but it IS tasty in it's own right and it is LOWER calorie. Think Dutch apple pie without the bottom crust, only the top struesel part.

Personally, I really like butter. So I eat butter. I eat kerrygold butter, which I measure in 1/2 tablespoon servings, and it is delicious. There is NO replacement for butter in my world.
  • Jackieb301
    Jackieb301 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Frosty Protein Shake:
    6 ounces fat free milk
    2 ounces sugar free chocolate syrup (not Hershey's syrup.. it's the syrup you find in the coffee isle. My brand is Torani)

2 scoops of the Chocolate Milkshake protein powder from Premier Nutrition (I buy mine at Sam's club. Tastes way better than regular old chocolate protein powder!!)

LOTS of ice= at least 8 cubes.

Pulse all ingredients until right consistancy.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste like pie...only pie tastes like pie.

Yogurt doesn't taste like cheesecake. Yogurts that need to be dressed up like they are cake or pie aren't real yogurt and generally aren't worth eating IMO. Yoplait greek yogurt is really plain Yoplait yogurt with cornstarch to thicken it instead of straining the yogurt to naturally thicken it like real greek yogurt. Check out the ingredients list of a Chobani yogurt and a yoplait greek thing.

You have to be able to appreciate different food for that they are. If there was a healthy, protein shake that tasted and gave the same sensation as eating a greasy cheesesteak, the inventor would be a multi millionaire in a week! Stuff like that doesn't exist.

If you want a piece of pie, have a piece of pie. Account for it in your daily calorie intake and enjoy.

^^ This right here. Stop trying to find substitutes for the high calories yummies we like. Greek yogurt (real greek yogurt) is delicious and creamy, but it is NOT key lime pie. Veggie burgers are tasty but they are NOT hamburgers. If you want key lime pie or a hamburger, then fit the REAL thing into your calories. And enjoy greek yogurt because it's delicious greek yogurt and nothing more.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression everything tastes like chicken.:happy:
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I had moonshine in South Carolina a few weeks ago, that honest to god tasted like apple pie. Not similar, but spot on. Got myself into a mess of trouble. O.o

I get where you're coming from though... I would rather have one tablespoon of key lime pie than an entire carton of key lime pie yogurt...