Low Carb Fat Free Greek Yogurt Suggestions

Options

Replies

• mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just had a Quest bar from the all natural line and it contains Stevia.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I just had a Quest bar from the all natural line and it contains Stevia.

Interesting. Maybe it can be used in some forms but this is from the FDA website dated 4-4-12:

"Is Stevia an 'FDA approved' sweetener?

FDA has not permitted the use of whole-leaf Stevia or crude Stevia extracts because these substances have not been approved for use as a food additive. FDA does not consider their use in food to be GRAS in light of reports in the literature that raise concerns about the use of these substances. Among these concerns are control of blood sugar and effects on the reproductive, cardiovascular, and renal systems. Food additives and GRAS affirmation petition or pre-petition submissions for the use of such substances that FDA has received in the past have not contained the data and information necessary to establish the safe use of these substances as ingredients in food."
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    what i do is cut up some fruit the night before and just put it in my greek yogurt so it's ready in the morning (i buy the huge containers so i measure them out)

if i'm feeling really lazy, i take some frozen berries and let them thaw in the yogurt overnight. it's really yummy because then the juice is ready for mixing in the morning!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    what i do is cut up some fruit the night before and just put it in my greek yogurt so it's ready in the morning (i buy the huge containers so i measure them out)

if i'm feeling really lazy, i take some frozen berries and let them thaw in the yogurt overnight. it's really yummy because then the juice is ready for mixing in the morning!

i forgot to mention i either eat plain Fage or Chobani.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I start with plain greek yogurt, and I add frozen blueberries. Put it in a sealed container. Later, the berries have thawed, and the juices can mix right in to the yogurt, for natural sweetness. No additional sweeteners or calories required, just what you get from the blueberries.

edit: I didn't see the post above me when I posted this, but basically same idea!
  • prettypaula96
    prettypaula96 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been known to buy plain greek yogurt and mix sugar-free jam, like Smuckers, in. It adds 10 calories and only 5 carbs, but granted the flavor isn't as sweet as the prepackaged ones, for obvious reasons.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't do low fat because it helps with the full feeling, but the Oikos Greek that I eat only has 7g carbs. Its the lowest I've seen. Astro's full fat also has only 8 carbs.
    Generally when you go for low fat, they add crap in that raises the carbs.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    @emilybrokaw Sounds delicious but I think the Liberte is already lower than that though the honey one may be higher than a fruit variety.

I guess this is my baseline:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_nutrition_facts/28344978?date=2012-04-08&show_controls=true
    Kroger brand Fat Free strawberry has 130 cals. 15 grams carbs, and 14 grams of protein. IIRC the plain has 16 g of protein.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I just use the Liberte plain greek yogurt, it's only 6g of carbs for a serving. You're not going to find lower carb and fat-free yogurt, unless you can somehow find a lactose-free variety.

I mix in a tablespoon of Crofters fruit spread and if I need it sweeter still, a few squirts of honey. I tried liquid stevia but it made the yogurt incredibly bitter, so watch out with that. It brings the carbs of a serving up to 18, but only 12g come from added sugar.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to find a Greek yogurt that is low in sugar which is why I stick to Carbmaster yogurt. I would also like to know if anyone knows of a low sugar Greek yogurt.

Plain ones are low in sugar. The only sugars are from lactose. If you notice, the plain serving size is also 20-30% more than the equivalent flavored one. 8 oz of wallaby plain greek has 6 grams of sugar. I don't know how much lower you could get.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Fromage Blanc? No fat and it's as high or higher in protein than Greek yogurt and has 0 to 5g carbs in the serving size you posted.

Most added fruit options really increase the carbs so you might try the frozen berries or fresh blueberries options mentioned. If not I think Activa has a Greek yogurt with fruit and they don't add sugar and other junk to the non-fat options.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    qtiekiki: About average really, no more or less than what I've seen in other brands. I think it might just be the fruit filling they use. It would be great (and I may suggest ) of one of these Greek yogurt makers that they sweeten that fruit filling in the yogurt with stevia instead of sugar. That would probably be all that is needed to get the carbs down. I can't find Fage 0% here in any other flavor than plain. It probably does exist here, I just haven't seen it.

Yes, they exist. I just got some on sale at Target for a $1 each. But I usually just get a big tub of fage 0%, scoop out a cup and add 1tbsp of honey. I am not concern with carbs though, so the honey is fine for me.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I get the plain yogurt and add banana flavoring and stevia. With a few walnuts and some dark chocolate chunks, it's even better than Ben & Jerry's chunky monkey!

I assume it would work with other food flavorings. Stevia adds no carbs, and isn't a sugar alcohol.

yummm...wonder what would happen if I froze it...may have to try this..I use the berry stevia in my yogurt..and dump whatever berries are in the house..but the idea of making chunky monkey at home...hmmm...I feel an experiment coming on
  • hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been known to buy plain greek yogurt and mix sugar-free jam, like Smuckers, in. It adds 10 calories and only 5 carbs, but granted the flavor isn't as sweet as the prepackaged ones, for obvious reasons.

I do the same thing. I eat Fage 2% plain yogurt and I add a tablespoon or so or Polaner's Fruit with Fiber - Sugar Free Strawberry Preserves. The Fage has 8g carbs (all from sugar) and the strawberry preserves have 5g carb with 3g fiber, so net carbs are 2g. The sugar in the preserves is <1g, as it is sweetened with Splenda. (There are also many other Polaner Sugar Free with Fiber options - apricot, grape, raspberry...)

Total Net Carbs = 10g
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    fat free plain greek yogurt.
  • loadedwords
    loadedwords Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You could try adding fruit spread to plain yogurt. I think Polaner Strawberry All Fruit spread tastes very similar to the strawberry mix-in that comes with Fage. It has 10g carbs and 6g sugar per tablespoon. If you wanted to take the carbs lower you could also try a sugar free jam.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    What is up with th greek yogurt ? I don't get it. I can't eat yogurt, can't stomach the bitter taste.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a milk product, so you're not going to really get low in carbs. It's just what it is. Milk has natural sugars in it. The other thing, they usually add sugar to lower fat items to make them more palatable. With dairy, the sugar increases because with the fat removed, the ratio is different. soooooo... you pretty much have two choices

1) nonfat greek yogurt, add artificial sweetener or stevia & fruit
    2) pick either full fat (low carb) or low fat (high carb). You can't really have both at the same time.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I get the plain yogurt and add banana flavoring and stevia. With a few walnuts and some dark chocolate chunks, it's even better than Ben & Jerry's chunky monkey!

I assume it would work with other food flavorings. Stevia adds no carbs, and isn't a sugar alcohol.

This ^^^ I add stevia, unsweetened apple sauce, almonds, cinnamon, liberte 0% greek yogurt plain, mix it up and it tastes like cheesecake! Nom.