Scales

Options
Hey! I've just gotten motivated to lose the excess weight and wondered what kind of scales do you use to weigh on. I'm squinting at tiny pound lines on mine. Do you use digital scales? A particular brand name? Or do you just make your best guess at the closest line?

Replies

• leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of getting a digital scale. I try to make my best guess but if you guess on the right side of the number it may feel like it takes longer to drop that next pound!
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My parents have a good digital scale, but I am also a "line squinter". I would prefer a digital scale, a FREE digital scale would be nice :smile:
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you can, I would invest in a good digital scale that also measures body fat %, and some even measure hydration. I use the body fat% to remind myself that this is working, even when the number on the scale does not move.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have had both.. but I do prefer the digital.
    One suggestion is to weigh yourself on both atleast when you first get it cause thier may be a weight difference. Mine was a crazy eight lbs more than my old scale. Even though I didn't care much to see a bigger number than what I had been seeing I told myself it didn't matter cause I still lost the same amount of weight.... it was just that I started at a bigger number than I thought originally.
  • anthrochix
    anthrochix Posts: 264
    Options
    i got an el-cheapo digital scale from target. You put in your height and you get both your weight and BMI. Wasn't more than $35 if I remember right. No idea of the brand, though, sorry.:grumble:
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    There are lots of scales that are pretty good. Here is a link to one, I have used a weightwatchers scale similar to this one and found it as Costco for around $25.

http://www.target.com/Health-O-Meter-Glass-Digital-Scale/dp/B001UCCPLY/sr=1-5/qid=1244119270/ref=sr_1_5/182-4050181-6238939?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&rh=k:digital glass scale&page=1

If you get one that measures body fat %, just be aware that this just an estimate and could be off by quite a bit.
  • rsalgado
    rsalgado Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I bought a weight watchers one at target for around $30 and I LOVE it. You can step on it 20 times in a row and it will give you the same number every time!
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii to weigh in.
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know you could weigh on a Wii!
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Be careful weighing in on the Wii Fit. If you're on carpet you have to place it in the same spot of the floor every time or the weight could be off. There have been times that I weighed myself in the beginning, then worked out, and weighed myself again and there was an 8lb difference. Either Wii Fit is amazing and I lost 8lb in 20 minutes, or the scale is touchy.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know you could weigh on a Wii!

yeah, with wii fit! it is part of the fit test i think.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If you can, I would invest in a good digital scale that also measures body fat %, and some even measure hydration. I use the body fat% to remind myself that this is working, even when the number on the scale does not move.

how does the scale measure body fat....if you just step on it. may sound like a dumb question, but i don't understand.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

how does the scale measure body fat....if you just step on it. may sound like a dumb question, but i don't understand.

I believe that it sends a small electric pulse (not stong enough to feel) through your body and uses that to measure body fat because muscle is more dense than fat but I could be wrong.
  • ntminter
    ntminter Posts: 10
    Options
    I too am seeking a scale that actually works, I work at a hospital and we don't even have an acurate scale....hmmm, our beds take daily weights if you zero them out properly and I have threatened to lay in a clean one and be weighed once a week..lol

218737.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well, after all the suggestions, I bit the bullet(no calories) and went to Wal-Mart. I bought a Health-O-Meter Weight Tracking Scale on sale for $24.88. You can program it with 4 users(height, weight, goal) and it mathematically figures a BMI(Yikes), so all of the family at home currently can become a user! The old scale has been regulated to the boys' bathroom as they all have younger, sharper eyes!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I use a cheapo "Health-O-Meter" brand digital scale in the bathroom for li'l check-in's, but I really trust and record what I get from the Wii-fit. I body test once or twice a week.

Sadly, the Wii-fit always has me a pound or 2 heavier than the bathroom scale, dammit! :angry:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I believe that it sends a small electric pulse (not stong enough to feel) through your body and uses that to measure body fat because muscle is more dense than fat but I could be wrong.

Correct, mostly. It uses bio-impedance. Which is basically the scale sending electrical signals up one leg and it comes down the other, then the scale measures the time it takes, basically the idea is that fat has more water in it (a specific, known amount) then muscle and bone, so it has a formula to calculate it because water is a conductor of electricity.

BUT and this is a BIIIIIIG but (no pun intended)

these scales are wildly inaccurate. They depend on LOTS of stuff being perfect, and you really can't be either dehydrated or over hydrated for it to even be remotely close. If you use one, expect it to be up to 15% off, better to have a hydrostatic test done once every 6 months or so or a bod pod (both have the same margin for error, about 1%) You can ususally find one by calling a local gym, ask for anywhere doing hydrostatic or bod pod testing, they usually cost about 50 bucks or so, but very worth it. Body Fat % is probably the best way to get an accurate measurement of how overweight you are.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I use a Tanita scale.............
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Digital! Measures to the points too so its pretty good :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I use a Tanita scale.............

Yeah, of the impedance ones, this is supposed to be one of the best, mind you, I just go based on what reviews have been written on them. I would never buy one myself (far too many other things need my money more :tongue: )