Scales

Options
2»

Replies

• ntminter
    ntminter Posts: 10
    Options
    just bought my first set of scales, at kohls on sale 60% off...

218737.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I had a standard 3 digit digital scale for years, But I prefer the one my daughter bought me that actually shows 4 digits (I like to see those ounces move down).
  • butterflyangel
    Options
    Any comment as to weigh your self every day or once a week??
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Marm, I love to see those ounces as well. I feel like I'm accomplishing something with all my careful eating!:happy:
    I'd also like to hear the pro vs. con on weighing daily or weekly. I gain weight very quickly.
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale that I bought awhile ago. I love it because the other day I got on it and lost 17 lbs. I had to change the battery and face reality but it was good to fill that joy if only for a minute. LMBO
  • ntminter
    ntminter Posts: 10
    Options
    I got on the scales today first thing allmost naked and I am so excited that I have lost three pounds.

218737.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • chopsticks
    chopsticks Posts: 106 Member
    Options

i prefer once a week so i can see a bigger drop at once...like this week 4 lbs. I had to get off the scale check it over and get back on to be sure it wasn't messed up.:bigsmile:
  • chopsticks
    chopsticks Posts: 106 Member
    Options
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale that I bought awhile ago. I love it because the other day I got on it and lost 17 lbs. I had to change the battery and face reality but it was good to fill that joy if only for a minute. LMBO

Too Funny, I'll have to remember that when it comes time to change the battery too....lol

I weigh myself everyday, I know that weight fluctuates daily but if it goes too far then I can think back to what I did the day before and correct any problems before it gets out of control.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    [I weigh myself everyday, I know that weight fluctuates daily but if it goes too far then I can think back to what I did the day before and correct any problems before it gets out of control.

I do the same as you, except today i KNOW was/is a bad day, not looking forward to the scale in the morning!! LOL
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    I also have a Tanita that I bought at Target. I know the bio-impedance body fat measurement isn't super accurate, but I've heard that it's pretty accurate in terms of loss or gain. In other words, you're measurement might be off by as much as five or seven percent, but if it says that you've lost two percent body fat then you really have lost two percent. And I'm more concerned about moving in the right direction right now than I am about a precise number.

I've been weighing myself everyday lately, but I've just started with the diet change and increased exercise. I'll probably switch to once a week in the next couple of months as I begin to lose more slowly. For now it's great motivation to see a loss on the scale everyday!

I've always heard that you should only weigh yourself once a week while losing weight to avoid getting discouraged by small daily fluctuations, but recently read about a study that showed that people who are maintaining weight loss are more successful if they DO weigh in everyday. I tried to google info about the study and found this poorly edited article that references it:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Be-Weighed-Every-Day-to-Your-Control-Weight&id=2026719
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    don't weigh yourself everyday! you'll drive yourself crazy because of the daily weight fluctuations!
    I bought a homedics digital one at academy sports for 30 dollars and it does body fat % and hydration...it's WAY easier than the analog ones!!! i stepped on both and my digital one was actally weighing me in 6 pounds less!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I am hooked up to a monitor scales that relay my weight back to a nurse station and they keep up with my weight. I have congested heart failure and they keep up with my water weight. I have to weigh every morning and every night. Been doing this for 4 years. My insurance pays for all of this. I really think all this weighing is too much. I like it when I am losing but when I retain water I don't like it. they call me and say its time to see the Doc. And I usally retain fluid once a month or so.
    Caliecat
  • karlira
    karlira Posts: 100
    Options
    Hi, five years ago I lost 35 pounds.. At that time I used to weigh myself every day (except for Sundays) and that usually worked for me.. The official weigh-in was on Mondays, but knowing everyday gave information about how good or bad i ate the day before... Then, when I reached my goel, eventually I stopped weighing, fitst I stopped doing it daily, and finally I stopped it all together.. I figure that's the reason I gained all that weight back.

So bottomline, I think weighing everyday is not that bad:glasses:

Oh, I have a Conair, Weight Watcher edition digital scale, it measures body fat too, I love it
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Here is my guaranteed cure for a bad weigh -in day:

Make sure your scale is near the towel bar in the bathroom--a good strong one. When you step on the scale, nonchalantly place one hand on the towel bar and apply a little downward pressure. This is usually good for at least a 2 lb. loss >>>>>WARNING--RESULTS ARE USUALLY TEMPORARY<<<<<<:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I posted this a while back on another thread and everyone thought it was funny, so this seemed like the place to toss it in again.

Good luck everyone. BTW. I have digital scale purchased on sale at Walgreens. When the battery goes low, it, unfortunately doesn't weigh me light...it just says "error". There have been many times I thought the numbers on the scale must be an "error" but they were not. I am not feeling that way these days. 18 lbs. lost in 8 weeks is making me feel pretty good. :drinker: :drinker:
  • fitmummy
    fitmummy Posts: 9
    Options
    I use the weight watchers digital scales, they are good and show your weight to a quarter of a pound, which is good but can make you quite obsessive!!
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    There have been many times I thought the numbers on the scale must be an "error" but they were not.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Me too!!!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well, after all the suggestions, I bit the bullet(no calories) and went to Wal-Mart. I bought a Health-O-Meter Weight Tracking Scale on sale for $24.88. You can program it with 4 users(height, weight, goal) and it mathematically figures a BMI(Yikes), so all of the family at home currently can become a user! The old scale has been regulated to the boys' bathroom as they all have younger, sharper eyes!

This is what I've had for the last 1 1/2 years and love it. It seems to be accurate and like pp said, I can step on and off 8 times in a row and get the same weight.