ok dumb water question

Options
13»

Replies

• graciemom828
    Options
    I have found the colder the water is the more I could drink it while I was getting into the "drink water" mode - I use the Crystal Light sorts of drinks as well. I live in North Dakota and we have a discount store in our town called Alco - they have this drink called Ice something or another and it comes in many flavors, is cheap and has zero calories, zero everything so that is kind of fun.
  • allisonlerner
    Options
    try adding MIO!!
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    My Doctor said that tea and coffee count as part of your water intake - yes, they have a slight diuretic action, but not enough to counteract the amount of water in the mug. And certainly not enough to leave you dehydrated.

I didn't ask him about soda (pop) because I don't drink it.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    ALL non-alcohol liquid, including water in your food, counts in the 8 glasses.
    Some alcohol counts, too. Beer and wine count, as they have far more water to hydrate you than the diuretic effect of the relatively low alcohol content would pull out of you.

I don't know the science, but as someone with a long familiarity with both wine and beer they HAVE to be dehydrating just from the after effects! Hangovers are supposed to be due to dehydration, and like everyone else who's ever had a seriously dry mouth, dark wee and griity eyes after an excess I believe it! I log all fluids as water, but list alcohol and diest sodas as snacks so as to count the calories they contain.

Herbal/green/mint tea can be a great way to wean yourself onto "cleaner" drinks if you don't like plain water. We don't have Mio and crystal light etc in the UK, so I read about them after I saw them metioned here - personally wouldn't go anywhere near them.

I'm also trying to get off my occasional diet cokes, and have found carbonated water with or without fresh lime juice to be the great salvation.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I count Crystal Light! :) and Mio, too. I rarely drink just water.

I also count my decaffeinated iced green tea - I usually drink that all day long. I loooooooooooove it! I sweeten it with Splenda, but it's still "water" as far as I am concerned. Plus, I get the metabolism boost from the green tea! :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You can count the crystal light and other "flavors" as water however keep in mind that they're still sweet and loaded with artificial crap and the fact that it still has calories.
  • marticapitt
    marticapitt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It counts. But what is your goal? For me I have to count caloires right now, so that 5 calories I'd rather spend elsewhere. Find a water you like the taste of! Propel is good if you like flavored water. I drink a really good reverse osmosis water because the tap water here is awful. If you just want to cut out sugar - you found a winner!. I also will drink green tea (ones with wild blueberry and pomegramate) and sweeten with Toranni syrup (either vanilla or raspberry) which has 0 calories. Tea is a natural diruetic and I get the decafe version. I found that artificial sweeteners tend to make me thirstier so I try to stay clear of them as much as I can.
  • jmweber76
    Options
    I wanted to throw out a couple of suggestions for those people that don't like drinking plain water....because I know it gets boring.

I bought a water infuser. It's basically something that you can drop in your favorite fruit or herbs and let it flavor your water the natural way. They make water pitchers with a place that keeps the fruit separately so you don't end up with a mushy slurry of stuff in your drink. So add some strawberries, peaches, watermelon, cucumber, or mint (or some combo of those) to the infuser, let it sit for a few hours in the fridge, then dump the fruit (or eat it in a smoothie) and enjoy your own flavored water. You can get pretty creative. I actually bought an infuser you can drop in your own pitchers if you don't want to buy a new pitcher. Check out Amazon.com and search "Water Infuser".

Or else....I've been loving the new Coconut LaCroix carbonated water for a little something extra. It's yummy!
  • wvtracyann
    wvtracyann Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am only eating 1200 calories a day but sometimes I do bump it up to 1250 or 1300 because I usually burn 400 calories or more with excerise. The only reason I asked about crystal light is because it was a cheap way for me to get water on the go. I love a lemon slice in my water and can drink it just fine that way if I am at a restaraunt or something but it isn't something that is easy for me to carry in my purse through the day. Plus when I do workout I dont mind to drink plain water because I am just that thirsty. I just have a really hard time getting to my 8 glasses of anything so I am trying to switch it up a little to make me drink more. Even before I started exercising I didnt' drink much at all. So I am really trying.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    I just have a really hard time getting to my 8 glasses of anything so I am trying to switch it up a little to make me drink more. Even before I started exercising I didnt' drink much at all. So I am really trying.

This.

I think at some point in time we all had this problem. Nowwwwww I understand more specifically your concern.

You can't cart around a bag of lemons in your purse (ok well I guess you COULD......) but one thing you can do is take a small bottle of lemon juice in your purse! Or lime, or whatever. I know groceries around here sell them in little glass bottles, or there's the little quirt bottles shaped like lemons and limes too.

One thing that really got me going on my water intake was a fancy-schmancy water bottle. No, you don't really *need* a fancy-schmancy water bottle, but it gives you a little incentive. When I was looking for a bottle, I looked for something 32+ oz because in my mind, the way I broke it down was that after two of these babies, I've reached my MFP water goal! (Personally, I got a 34oz Bobble bottle because our tap water tastes awful.) And what have I found? I end up drinking anywhere from 3-5 of these a day. Yeah. You read that right. Not just 64oz of water that they'd like you to drink. 102-170oz of water a day. Trick your mind. You'll build up the habit in no time.

Oh. And eat your exercise calories back. (I felt really weird not saying something about that.)
  • blen85
    blen85 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try MiO -- its real good ((: