Why a Cheat Day is a misnomer

Options

Replies

• callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think many of you didn't even read my original post. Or perhaps you don't know what the word "misnomer" means.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    how about a Splurge Day! I always liked that word.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    I call it a cheat day, because to me i am cheating myself.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Well, if you ate it intentionally with no regret, don't call it anything! Just log it and move on instead of proclaiming to the world like most people do.

This is why I never have 'cheat days'. I eat plenty of indulgent food - but it is always planned and enjoyed to the fullest. I don't consider it a lapse or a regression because it hasn't hurt my progress. :-)
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. There is no such thing as a "cheat day".
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    No one is perfect all of the time.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Although I do not do it myself I see no problem in people working out their weekly calorie allowance, divide by 8, set that as your daily calorie allowance 6 days a week and have double on the 7th day.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    "Cheat" days can be many things and even helpful at times.

The better question is why do you care enough to start a new thread?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I think many of you didn't even read my original post. Or perhaps you don't know what the word "misnomer" means.

Wow. Harsh much?

I read your post.

I know what misnomer means.

I still call it a cheat day.
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This is comical......

CallmeBam has a point... words have specific definitions......we should be careful how and when we use them

What I don't understand is......... Why is this such a big deal?
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Wow. Harsh much?

I read your post.

I know what misnomer means.

I still call it a cheat day.

He's a smug fellow, isn't he?
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I justify the occasional indulgence food if I find a place for it. For instance, I grab one of those snack cups of Ben and Jerry's frozen yogurt, it's around 200 calories. But I will just find a place for it in that day. Perhaps I will work out more or eat less, or perhaps a combination of both.

So I don't really consider that a "cheat," but it is still an indulgence. That is my strategy at least.

I try not to judge other people because thier diet is thier business, but I know if I give myself permission to cheat I will, and that has never worked out for me before.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Or perhaps many just disagree with you. Planned or not, one day is unlikely to have much of an impact on a diet, no matter what you call it. Even if you pig out all day on that one day.

You ask if we even know what "cheat day" means. It seems obvious that it does not mean the same thing to everyone.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Shouldn't be more like a cheat meal not cheat day? Anyone who has entire cheat day is an idiot... that being said I had entire cheat weekend...
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    So changing the name makes it different? Sorry, but Administrative Assistants are still secretaries, Sanitation Engineers are still garbage men and special needs kids are still retarded. And please understand I don't mean any of that in a bad way.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I always love the inevitable "why do you care?" responses to any post like this that may be controversial.

The answer is: Because this is a messageboard for open discussion on topics related to fitness and nutrition. There are some specific things that people care about and others don't. If YOU didn't care, then why did you feel the need to respond?

If a topic doesn't interest you, you can ignore it and move on with your day. Or you could fight for JUSTICE and get defensive that someone feels differently than you.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Good thing I'm not on a 'diet'

Diet is the sum of food consumed by a person or other organism. Everyone has a diet. Whatever you eat is your diet.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When people ask me if I am "on a diet', I always respond... isn't everyone? A diet is what you consume, no matter what that is. I tell them, I am changing my lifestyle.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    "Spike Day" makes more sense, at least if it's planned.

I think at the core I agree with what the OP is saying, however, there are many other stupid words people use when they shouldn't. Best not to loose your head about it.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like this guy.