Guys, how do you feel?

Mallory0418
Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
...when you're at the gym and you see a woman lifting heavy? I've gotten VERY mixed reactions from this. Curious to know what you guys think.

Also, I found this interesting. The other day I ran into a guy I see at the gym a lot so he knows how I workout. I was wearing a dress and he couldn't believe it was me! He said "You look so....feminine!" What?! Does working out give me the ultimate tom-boy reputation? Nothing wrong with that, I'm really proud of how strong I am, but his mind was completely blown when he saw me "looking like a girl". Thoughts?

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    i couldn't give a sun dried dingleberry about what anyone else is doing when i am working out, man woman or otherwise.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Girls + Weights= Sexy

Girls + Heavy Weights= Sexier

(Girls X Roids) + Heavy Weights= Confusing
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Nothing sexier than a women that lifts and lifts heavy!!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    I can care less. Good for her.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    It's like not seeing the forest for the trees. I'm usually so preoccupied looking at parts of a lady that I don't notice what she's doing.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 419 Member
    personally I admire women who lift heavy or light. In my opinion it doesn't make them more or less femenine. You're not butch because you lift. I admire the tone of women's muscles that they have worked hard for and I find it extremely feminin. I guess it also depends on what peopl'e perceptions of feminine are.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    ...when you're at the gym and you see a woman lifting heavy? I've gotten VERY mixed reactions from this. Curious to know what you guys think.

Also, I found this interesting. The other day I ran into a guy I see at the gym a lot so he knows how I workout. I was wearing a dress and he couldn't believe it was me! He said "You look so....feminine!" What?! Does working out give me the ultimate tom-boy reputation? Nothing wrong with that, I'm really proud of how strong I am, but his mind was completely blown when he saw me "looking like a girl". Thoughts?

To begin with I'm only starting out at `that' end of the gym so some of those dudes can be quite intimidating, even to a guy like me. Its good to see women lifting weights. Balances things up.
  • Mallory0418
    Well that's good to know. Like I said, I've been kind of surprised but the different points of view I've gotten from men I know. I don't see women who lift as "un-feminine", I just see them as hardcore! For me, I'm at the gym to get it done and not worry about anything else.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Well that's good to know. Like I said, I've been kind of surprised but the different points of view I've gotten from men I know. I don't see women who lift as "un-feminine", I just see them as hardcore! For me, I'm at the gym to get it done and not worry about anything else.

I'm curious now, what kinds of comments do you get?
  • Mallory0418

Well the one that I mentioned in my OP was what really got me thinking. And there have been discussions in and out of the gym with different guys saying things like "I don't like girls who lift heavy and have big muscles", you know, the whole women-will-bulk-up-if-they-strength-train thing. Others have said that women with muscles are hot. It's an on-going debate.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    admirable and sexy, she takes care of herself
  • tameko2

Well the one that I mentioned in my OP was what really got me thinking. And there have been discussions in and out of the gym with different guys saying things like "I don't like girls who lift heavy and have big muscles", you know, the whole women-will-bulk-up-if-they-strength-train thing. Others have said that women with muscles are hot. It's an on-going debate.

My husband said "you're not going to get super muscled are you? I really don't like that look" and I was like "oh, its cute that you think I would care what you like or don't like but thanks for mentioning it!"

but then he actually went to the gym with me and he was so impressed with the lifting (and also he was vaguely aware that it takes a lot of work and potentially drugs to get big like he's thinking of) that he hasn't mentioned it since. He was terribly impressed that I get the veins in my shoulders to pop when I dead lift (I was like "oh my god NO!?!?! WHERE??")
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    is this thread for REAL???
  • Mallory0418
    is this thread for REAL???

Um....yes. What is so unbelieveable about it? It's a question...
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    I hate women lifting. I don't know why they feel they have to show me up every time!
    =P
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    If they are lifting correctly, it's admirable. Shows they know what they are doing and are serious.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    If they are lifting correctly, it's admirable. Shows they know what they are doing and are serious.
    I would have to say that the avg. female lifter uses better form than the avg. male lifter. When I was starting out last year I would watch women to learn how to properly do a particular exercise that I wasnt familiar with. They have better hand eye cordination than men and they dont walk into the gym for the first time with that Macho frame of mind (that alot of men have) that they already know everything there is to know about lifting and try to lift more weight than they can handle and still use proper form.
  • tameko2
    I would have to say that the avg. female lifter uses better form than the avg. male lifter. When I was starting out last year I would watch women to learn how to properly do a particular exercise that I wasnt familiar with. They have better hand eye cordination than men and they dont walk into the gym for the first time with that Macho frame of mind (that alot of men have) that they already know everything there is to know about lifting and try to lift more weight than they can handle and still use proper form.

My friend told me once that guys assume weight lifting is something they "should" know how to do or be naturally good at so they tend to just go in there and do WHATEVER they think will be good and put as much weight on there as they can. Women don't have the idea that they SHOULD know how, AND women I find tend to underestimate how much they can lift so they'll naturally start lighter.
  • You look great, so I wouldn't worry. Some men are just insecure about the fact that women are assimilating well in what was once a mostly male environment. You do your thing, it's paying off :)
  • Mallory0418

My friend told me once that guys assume weight lifting is something they "should" know how to do or be naturally good at so they tend to just go in there and do WHATEVER they think will be good and put as much weight on there as they can. Women don't have the idea that they SHOULD know how, AND women I find tend to underestimate how much they can lift so they'll naturally start lighter.

I have heard this too. I actually read what pike said in the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. But I agree, women do tend to underestimate themselves on how heavy they can go and how fast they can strengthen their bodies. That or they are afraid lifting too heavy will make them bulky. Oy...