Guys, how do you feel?

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    I always wonder why she is out of the kitchen
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    this one girl i know on here sent me a message telling me about a new PR on her dead lifts. she dead lifts more then i do (only by 10lbs). i felt really crappy, but then she reminded me i can do an *kitten* ton of pull ups in a row. i felt only slightly better.

what was the original question?
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    If they are lifting correctly, it's admirable. Shows they know what they are doing and are serious.
    I would have to say that the avg. female lifter uses better form than the avg. male lifter. When I was starting out last year I would watch women to learn how to properly do a particular exercise that I wasnt familiar with. They have better hand eye cordination than men and they dont walk into the gym for the first time with that Macho frame of mind (that alot of men have) that they already know everything there is to know about lifting and try to lift more weight than they can handle and still use proper form.

My friend told me once that guys assume weight lifting is something they "should" know how to do or be naturally good at so they tend to just go in there and do WHATEVER they think will be good and put as much weight on there as they can. Women don't have the idea that they SHOULD know how, AND women I find tend to underestimate how much they can lift so they'll naturally start lighter.

I have heard this too. I actually read what pike said in the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. But I agree, women do tend to underestimate themselves on how heavy they can go and how fast they can strengthen their bodies. That or they are afraid lifting too heavy will make them bulky. Oy...
    I dont have to turn in my man card now do I???
  • catattack13
    catattack13 Posts: 117
    if anyone has ever had anything negative to say about me lifting, they haven't dared to say it to my face ;)
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member

I have heard this too. I actually read what pike said in the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. But I agree, women do tend to underestimate themselves on how heavy they can go and how fast they can strengthen their bodies. That or they are afraid lifting too heavy will make them bulky. Oy...

Haha no no. I read the NRoL for men too, so no worries.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    I think they're strong and I think that's sexy.

And they're great motivation when they lift more than me! :embarassed:

The other day someone told me I should be using a weight belt. I said with the weights I'm lifting I should be wearing a pretty dress. But seriously we kid because we love.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    I think they're strong and I think that's sexy.

And they're great motivation when they lift more than me! :embarassed:

The other day someone told me I should be using a weight belt. I said with the weights I'm lifting I should be wearing a pretty dress. But seriously we kid because we love.

If you're lifting anything heavier than a 10 lb dumbell you have to move from the pretty dresses to the Juicy Coture track suits.

Also -- I am now vaguely obsessed with the idea of lifting in a dress. I wouldn't wear makeup though, I wouldn't want people to think I wasn't working out hard enough.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    I have faced some problems at the gym with the guys there ( I am the only girl there that lifts). When they saw me deadlift 160 they seemed to have found a new respect and actually help me now and give me tips ..... Tho there are some that still look at me all skeptical like when I put on my belt
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member

Haha no no. I read the NRoL for men too, so no worries.
    whats the NRoL for men?
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    dont find it sexy at all seeing a women lifting heavy weight
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    i couldn't give a sun dried dingleberry about what anyone else is doing when i am working out, man woman or otherwise.

Hahahahahaha! Awesome answer.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    I lift for the after effects. Lol. I don't give a god d*** who's watching me while I do it. If I'm doing it well, I'm concentrating on what the heck I'm doing. I lift heavy and it takes some concentration not to crap out sometimes under the weight. In fact, I've yelled at my husband for distracting me by making comments about my tits & *kitten*. It is NOT a turn on while I'm under heavy weight to be ogled.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    If you're pushing heavy weights and you still look sexy and feminine.. more power to you! If you're pushing heavier weights than me and you look like its time for you to cycle out of your roids.. then no bueno...
  • Cycl0tr0n
    Cycl0tr0n Posts: 52
    Personally, I think girls who lift heavy weights are awesome. I am your stereotypical cyclist with the t-rex build -- all my muscle is in my legs -- and that's how I came into the world, so I've had lots of time to get comfortable with being out-lifted, out-benched, and out-arm-wrestled by the ladies.

It's the girls (and guys) doing like a million reps with dinky little one-pound weights that make me facepalm.
  • Cycl0tr0n
    Cycl0tr0n Posts: 52
    Also -- I am now vaguely obsessed with the idea of lifting in a dress. I wouldn't wear makeup though, I wouldn't want people to think I wasn't working out hard enough.

Go for it!

IMO, anyone (female or male) with the stones to lift in a dress is automatically impressive in my book!
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    My fiancee does stronglifts. She knocks out squats and dead lifts like a champ. Motivating for me and sexy to watch her work up a sweat.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Love it!

It means she can not only be sexy, but really knows what she's doing too.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    *Note to self* Lift even HEAVIER than the HEAVY I already lift :)
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    How heavy is she lifting? If she can throw me over her shoulder that's sexy:love: If she can beat me at arm wrestling she's too strong for me:angry:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    I think its great when women use the weight room....unless they are hoggin the weights I want to use. :grumble: :laugh:

Just playin.

I agree with the other guy who said the weight room is also intimidating to guys. Nothing like starting out with a bunch of guys that might have been lifting for years. Luckily I looked up proper form on the lifts I wanted to do so I never had anyone correct me. Just keep your headphones on grab some weight and start lifting. Pretty soon you wont even notice other people around you.