How to survive on 40-50 dollars per month on food.

Options
Hi all,

I'm really trying to cut down my budget on food, extras, gas, etc. I can only spend at most 50 dollars a month on food. I usually spend about 100; I'm trying to cut it as close to half as I can. I eat pretty healthy (most of the time) and I eat mostly vegetarian.

I'm trying to come up with ideas of what I can buy at the store that is cheap, healthy and filling.

So far I've come up with: eggs, brown rice, bread, milk, some produce (apples, bananas, and frozen veggies), beans, whole wheat pasta, a little bit of cheese and yogurt. (and butter on occasion)

Does anyone else have any ideas/recipes for me?

Thanks!

Replies

• sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    plant a garden!
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This site has many frugal recipes, and a sample menu for how to feed a family on $50/month.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/recipeindex.htm
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    beans are filling and cheap as well!!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Cabbage and potatoes. Potatoes get such a bum rap.

I've got a cookbook for cheap people, it's British though =/

Anyways it says peas also.
  • KitchenCourses
    Options
    It looks like you have some good solid choices with fiber and protein which will keep you full without having to eat a whole lot! Be sure to get as much fresh fruit and veggies as your budget will allow - your body will thank you for it!

In terms of ideas/recipes: fried rice with eggs and brown rice
    frittata with eggs and frozen veggies
    whole wheat pasta with frozen veggies and tuna or canned chicken
    crockpot chili or soup
    you could buy a $5 rotisserie chicken and eat off that for 3 nights, easily (night one: breast meat, night two: leftover meat with rice, pasta and veggies, night three: using the bones to create stock for a soup base(easy in a slow cooker!)

I have a number of ideas on my blog, as well as this post in particular: http://kitchencourses.com/5-ingredients-that-will-make-100-meals/
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    To save money on fresh produce try going to a farmer's market! You can buy a TON of produce for super cheap.
  • DSCLBD
    DSCLBD Posts: 40
    Options
    Far out! $50/mth I wish I could only spend $100/mth! The kids milk comes in at $4.97 per 2lt and having 3 little ones means a whole heap of milk - they have to drink A2 milk but it is much better than regular (regulat milk is around $3 per $2lt!

Groceries are really expensive in Australia ... 'cheap' apples are when they are $2.95/kg, tomatoes range between $3-$8/kg a single head of lettuce is around $2.80 on a cheap day! Oh, and these are regular prices, not organic or anything. I bought a 1lt of almond milk trying to be a bit healthy and it cost $3.95! Wont be buying that again!!!!! The cheapest cage eggs run around the $3 per dozen.

I will be watching this thread for some ideas ... am down to our last $$$ before our monthly pay day in 5 days ... grrr I hate getting paid monthly!

Oh, and I would love some of your tips for getting down to $100/mth spend :)

Edit: WOW! "$5 rotisserie chicken" the cheapest I have ever found one around here is $9.98 for a small one, the large ones (that barely feed a family of 5) are around $12.95!
  • HopeFaithLove71
    HopeFaithLove71 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The cheap eats I buy (I don't eat milk, bread, pasta or eggs) are dry beans, lentils, tofu, brown rice, oats, on sale fruits and vegetables. Look for a store that offers a day when they reduce their produce when they bring in the new. Stock up on sales of frozen fruits and veggies.

Make your own, hummus, dips, soups, chilis, salad dressings, salsa, "ice cream" (frozen fruit placed in blender, such as over ripe bananas). I cut my veggies early and keep cooked rice ready to go in advance to help for quick foods.

I forgot to add (thus the edit), find a place that doubles coupons and match with a sale and sometimes even with a store coupon. Look at sites such as coupon mom (free) to find free and next to free items. Many coupons apply to processed boxed food, but there is much out there for canned beans, and frozen veggies as well as soy, rice and almond milk.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Far out! $50/mth I wish I could only spend $100/mth! The kids milk comes in at $4.97 per 2lt and having 3 little ones means a whole heap of milk - they have to drink A2 milk but it is much better than regular (regulat milk is around $3 per $2lt!

Groceries are really expensive in Australia ... 'cheap' apples are when they are $2.95/kg, tomatoes range between $3-$8/kg a single head of lettuce is around $2.80 on a cheap day! Oh, and these are regular prices, not organic or anything. I bought a 1lt of almond milk trying to be a bit healthy and it cost $3.95! Wont be buying that again!!!!! The cheapest cage eggs run around the $3 per dozen.

I will be watching this thread for some ideas ... am down to our last $$$ before our monthly pay day in 5 days ... grrr I hate getting paid monthly!

Oh, and I would love some of your tips for getting down to $100/mth spend :)

I live in the number one city in California that supplies most of the produce in the world, so produce/groceries are very cheap here.

I can get apples for 59 cents/pound, bananas for 13 cents/pound, etc. We have a lot of Farmers Markets in town that sell organic produce on the cheap and milk is from the company that is in my town, so milk is inexpensive. I buy a dozen eggs for about a 1 dollar to 1.23.
  • californiansun
    Options
    To save money on fresh produce try going to a farmer's market! You can buy a TON of produce for super cheap.

I do! :D I forgot to mention that, oppsie!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think someone mentioned it already, but farmers markets, or side of the road produce stands are really cost effective!

also some areas have food co-ops
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    That's about what I'm doing, except I'm not vegetarian --

Make sure you get your local supermarket fliers -- usually you can find them online, and look for comparison shopping. Especially if you like fruits -- I can't afford them unless aldi has them on sale.
  • Sweetmurry
    Sweetmurry Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    wow! I live in upper minnesota and fruit and veggies are $$$$
    I got sick of prices for peppers and started growing my own in my house!
    Looking forward to tomatoes soon!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Where the heck do you live? I want to move there....(In reference to getting all that for such LOW prices!!)
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bulk Onions, lentils, potatoes. Get indian and french recipes (esp. indian for vegetarians!)--a lot of them are based on "poor" foods, like legumes and cheap cuts of meat. Make sure you have a good spice cabinet. Go to outlet groceries or bulk food sellers. If you can prove you lack of income don't be to proud to visit your local food bank, you can get some staples there.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Where the heck do you live? I want to move there....(In reference to getting all that for such LOW prices!!)

Fresno/Clovis, CA :)
  • DSCLBD
    DSCLBD Posts: 40
    Options
    I live in the number one city in California that supplies most of the produce in the world, so produce/groceries are very cheap here.

I can get apples for 59 cents/pound, bananas for 13 cents/pound, etc. We have a lot of Farmers Markets in town that sell organic produce on the cheap and milk is from the company that is in my town, so milk is inexpensive. I buy a dozen eggs for about a 1 dollar to 1.23.

Wow, that seriously blows me away!!!!! Even the farmers markets here are not much off what you pay at the supermarket, sometimes they actually charge more!!! Bananas can range from 99c/kg in the high season right up to $22/kg (although this has only happened a couple of times in the past 10 years when cyclones wiped out the banana farms in QLD) the average price for bananas would be around $3/kg

And I know that a kg is 2.2 x a pound but there is such a big difference still! And my family are big meat eaters ... probably the cheapest half descent meat runs at about $18/kg a little cheaper when on special. I have tried buying the cheaper stuff but it isn't worth it, too fatty or tough, only really fit for the slow cooker!

Thanks for starting this thread, like I said, I will be watching it for some ideas ... I think if I can get our bill down below $500/mth for the whole family I would be really happy!
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bumping I really could use help in this area too.
  • californiansun
    Options

Wow, that seriously blows me away!!!!! Even the farmers markets here are not much off what you pay at the supermarket, sometimes they actually charge more!!! Bananas can range from 99c/kg in the high season right up to $22/kg (although this has only happened a couple of times in the past 10 years when cyclones wiped out the banana farms in QLD) the average price for bananas would be around $3/kg

And I know that a kg is 2.2 x a pound but there is such a big difference still! And my family are big meat eaters ... probably the cheapest half descent meat runs at about $18/kg a little cheaper when on special. I have tried buying the cheaper stuff but it isn't worth it, too fatty or tough, only really fit for the slow cooker!

Thanks for starting this thread, like I said, I will be watching it for some ideas ... I think if I can get our bill down below $500/mth for the whole family I would be really happy!

That's horrible!!! I thought I was paying too much... Thanks for putting things into perspective!