How to survive on 40-50 dollars per month on food.

Options

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    If you like Indian food, check my blog for some cheap recipes. Indian food in general is cheap (my average meal costs 75 cents).
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/riz9007

Now, some other tricks is to cook mostly yourself. Like instead of buying canned beans, buy the dried beans, soak em up overnight and then cook them next day. Also, try to use spices rather than sauces which is not only healthier but alot cheaper.

The best advice I can give you is that when you're buying produce, try to buy at farmers market rather than a grocery store. ALWAYS cheaper to buy at a farmers market.
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    Bump
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Get a big ole' bag of black beans.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Dang, I wish I could live off $50 a month! I spend $40-50 a WEEK! :x
  • ballsofrock
    Options
    My neighbor a few blocks up has an orange grove in his yard. If someone near you has one or be it any kind of fruit, ask them if you can have some oranges. They tend to fall on the ground and rot anyways. Most people are willing if you are nice to them :D
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I live in Australia as well. I am from the US though. I think one thing to remember is that Aussies, get paid WAY more, for the most part than they do in the US. Honestly the equivalent for her spending 100 a month would most likely be 200 here. Before I left 8 years ago, and yes prices have gone up since then. You could get a gallon of milk for 99 cents. Bread was 50 cents, and so on. The minimum wage in the US is like 7-8 bucks if I am not mistaken. When I lived there I made a whooping 5:50 and hour and that was above minimum wage in the state I lived in. Oh and minimum wage doesn't go by age in the US like here. I usually spend about 400 a fortnight on groceries. I have tried and tried to get it under that but can't.
    Far out! $50/mth I wish I could only spend $100/mth! The kids milk comes in at $4.97 per 2lt and having 3 little ones means a whole heap of milk - they have to drink A2 milk but it is much better than regular (regulat milk is around $3 per $2lt!

Groceries are really expensive in Australia ... 'cheap' apples are when they are $2.95/kg, tomatoes range between $3-$8/kg a single head of lettuce is around $2.80 on a cheap day! Oh, and these are regular prices, not organic or anything. I bought a 1lt of almond milk trying to be a bit healthy and it cost $3.95! Wont be buying that again!!!!! The cheapest cage eggs run around the $3 per dozen.

I will be watching this thread for some ideas ... am down to our last $$$ before our monthly pay day in 5 days ... grrr I hate getting paid monthly!

Oh, and I would love some of your tips for getting down to $100/mth spend :)

Edit: WOW! "$5 rotisserie chicken" the cheapest I have ever found one around here is $9.98 for a small one, the large ones (that barely feed a family of 5) are around $12.95!
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think the last dozen eggs I bought I spent over $5.00 for. I do have to say I buy the barn laid eggs though.
    Wow, $50/mth??? It cost me $400/mth for my wife & I. But I do live in Canada were everything is 4x the price as the rest of the world.
    i.e. dozen eggs $3.00 ;(
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    i also live in Canada, and I agree, groceries are so expensive here!! I pay about 3.50 for a dozen egg! Milk is 4 bucks for a 2 liter. Isnt that ridiculous??
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    i also live in Canada, and I agree, groceries are so expensive here!! I pay about 3.50 for a dozen egg! Milk is 4 bucks for a 2 liter. Isnt that ridiculous??

Very much so!!!

I believe minimum wage is higher in Can. and Aus., though. Minimum wage in my state is 8.00/hour.
  • californiansun
    Options
    If anyone has anymore ideas, please let me know!!!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do $50 a month. I am single and spend around $150/mo, not counting eating out.

I spend more than $50/mo in chicken alone I bet. I eat a lot. But I burn a lot. Takes a lot of fuel to feed my body.
    I do my best not to waste, especially veggies. Tuna is cheap, decent food as well.

Speaking of, I have to go to the grocery store tomorrow. I'll try to keep it under $100 for the rest of the week.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    If anyone has anymore ideas, please let me know!!!

One thing that helps me is not wasting foods, if you have extra, use it the next day for lunch, etc. That way I don't waste food and money. I hate throwing away food that I don't use in time.
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    dont know if anyone has suggested this yet but i LOVE livingrichwithcoupons.com ....has changed my life and the way i shop for everything... for example last week or week b4 land o lakes eggs were 1.99 at acme...she had a printable coupon for .75 which doubled to 1.50 ...u can print 2 coupons per computer...anyway eggs for .49 a dozen.....just one small example of the incredible savings.

She has many different supermarkets and the matchups for coupons to sale prices...check it out.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I spend about $400 a month
  • californiansun
    Options
    I spend about $400 a month

I think it's easier for me to spend less because I am single, I don't need/want to eat that much and I eat mostly vegetarian. Meat gets expensive!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do $50 a month. I am single and spend around $150/mo, not counting eating out.

Same boat. Much of my diet is protein from meats, hell a tub of whey protein costs $20 bucks alone! I stick to pretty much all the same foods, really not much I can cut out and still make my calorie goals.
  • TRISHA9714
    Options
    I am not sure if this has been mentioned but homemade soups can be real cheap to make and you can make a great big pot and freeze individual servings. Soups can also be bulked up with veggies, beans etc.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bulk Onions, lentils, potatoes. Get indian and french recipes (esp. indian for vegetarians!)--a lot of them are based on "poor" foods, like legumes and cheap cuts of meat. Make sure you have a good spice cabinet. Go to outlet groceries or bulk food sellers. If you can prove you lack of income don't be to proud to visit your local food bank, you can get some staples there.

Indian is a great idea. I could live for a long time on moong dal and paratha both of which are super cheap, quick, and easy to make. I love this site she has recipes and videos to show you how to cook the different items http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2010/12/05/moong-dal-soup/

I'm a big fan of Manjula's kitchen!! I'm Indian and still learn so much from her. Her videos are great. Try the dahi vada recipe if you haven't..it's deep fried but they come up SO well. I love that she is spreading the joy of Indian cooking among Indians and others too!

On topic: I'll echo what others have already said. Cook from scratch, stock up when things are cheaper, freeze fruits and vegetables yourself. Make soup stalks, boil your own beans and lentils rather than buying canned, make loads of spaghetti sauce and can or freeze it when tomatoes are cheap. Supplement meals with little meat but mostly veggie and your bill will come down.