How to survive on 40-50 dollars per month on food.

Options

Replies

• EatWholeFoods
    EatWholeFoods Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When I had barely any money, I lived off of 4 or 5 corn ears for $1 sales, fresh chicken breast, tortillas, bread, eggs, and beans...oh and pasta!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    plant a garden!

THIS totally! :drinker:
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    I'm in shock. I stopped eating junk and started buying more produce and better quality meats, and my grocery expenses leapt from $500 per month for a family of four to about $1000...that's half my battle with eating right some days...don't feel like I can afford it...
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    beans are filling and cheap as well!!

and loaded w/ protein! just be sure to have some of that brown rice w/ them to complete it ;)
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    quinoa, dry beans & lentils, frozen edemame are all high value foods :)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I spend over $500 a fortnight on food for myself and my family (2 adults and 2 kids). There is no way I could do it for $50 per month

Wow, I have 3 siblings and I'm pretty sure my mom never spent that much in an entire month to feed us when we were growing up. I don't even have that much money to spend in a month.

Like, what do all these people who spend a couple hundred bucks a week or more on food actually buy in terms of groceries? Maybe it's just because I've always been poor, but I can't fathom spending that much on food.
    Those people who spend $100+ a week aren't so ethnocentric to assume everyone they chat to on here is also from the US.
    For those of us who don't live in the US, the relative cheapness of your food / living expenses / wages just aren't real to us.

I guess I should've specified Americans, because I was completely disregarding all the people who specifically said they were from places like Australia and New Zealand. I understand that our dollar is worth a different amount than other countries' dollars.
    A lot of people on here, though, from various regions, seem to be under the impression that a food budget this small is a choice. For some of us, it's not about the cost of anything, it's about the fact that we simply don't have the money.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Its great you are trying to do it on your own. You might try and supplement from a local food pantry. It is there for you.

I know, I keep telling myself that it's there... but I feel like I'm taking away from others. It's been a battle for me. I gotta suck it up, I guess!!!
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I spend over $500 a fortnight on food for myself and my family (2 adults and 2 kids). There is no way I could do it for $50 per month

Wow, I have 3 siblings and I'm pretty sure my mom never spent that much in an entire month to feed us when we were growing up. I don't even have that much money to spend in a month.

Like, what do all these people who spend a couple hundred bucks a week or more on food actually buy in terms of groceries? Maybe it's just because I've always been poor, but I can't fathom spending that much on food.
    Those people who spend $100+ a week aren't so ethnocentric to assume everyone they chat to on here is also from the US.
    For those of us who don't live in the US, the relative cheapness of your food / living expenses / wages just aren't real to us.

I guess I should've specified Americans, because I was completely disregarding all the people who specifically said they were from places like Australia and New Zealand. I understand that our dollar is worth a different amount than other countries' dollars.
    A lot of people on here, though, from various regions, seem to be under the impression that a food budget this small is a choice. For some of us, it's not about the cost of anything, it's about the fact that we simply don't have the money.

Amen.

I simply do NOT have the money, I cannot find a job, I'm in college etc. I would much rather not have to do this. I wish I could spend the extra 50 dollars and buy a bountiful amount of food... I just CANT.

This post was for people like me that cant afford it. It was just for tips. I got through it on my own, this thread helped me and I hope it's helping others.
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    make your own yogurt. it is easy. google how to do it without a yogurt maker. super easy.
  • leelafit_mtl
    leelafit_mtl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    I'm sue someone else has probably already said this but canned chunk tuna in water is great for you, filling, and CHEAP. Lsap some in a tortilla and you are good to go. I like mine with a little salsa too :happy:
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    bump
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    make your own yogurt. it is easy. google how to do it without a yogurt maker. super easy.

you can also use a crockpot!! I use mine and after you have a starter... it only costs the cost of 1/2 gallon of milk for a 1/2 gallon of yogurt :)
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm on a tight budget myself, I tend to look for deals of buy one get one free and things that I can bulk up and then freeze like stews (whatever veg is on offer and we like, dried pulses, barley, lentil bean mix, mixed dry herbs sometime with, sometimes without meat, a cheap low fat sauce like dolmio, sometimes pasta sometimes not.) This often stretches 4 to 6 decent main meals and often comes in at around £12 -14. It also depends on how you are about eating the same things often, I personally don't pay it much attention but I know a lot of people who go pale at the idea. But definitely the best thing to do is shop around for good deals, use coupons and store cards for points later where ever you can. Hopefully that helps a little and good luck budgeting :-)
  • fit21red
    fit21red Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi

Not sure if you are still on a budget, but some ideas.

How about making batches of soup and freezing them, also minced meat is great, you can make a bolgonese, add it to pasta, make a shephered pie, eat it with tortilla, pitta bread, use it to fill a jacket potato, chilli con carnie add beans (baked beans even) !!! Also freeze meals as well, going to the store towards the end of the day when they are reducing food and sometimes freezing them.

I always freeze my bread, thereby I always have some in store.

sorry if these are too late :noway: :bigsmile:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    make your own bread!! that will help considerably
  • Hickskjh
    Hickskjh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are so many good ideas on here, but I just wanted to mention one thing. Food is probably on of the most important things we spend money on. Be careful when you cut its budget to save money short term. It might not be worth it in the long run. Eating well, and exercising are the two biggest energy boosters. For me 50 dollars a month wouldn't give me enough food to have any energy at work or school, and my productivity would suffer. My productivity level is what helps me eat well. Its a cycle...anyway food for thought. Good luck!
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A jar of peanut butter and a couple of loafs of whole wheat bread will go a long way for about $9.+

Amen. I go to Costco for the huge jars of Jiff. Love me some peanut butter!
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this was mentioned, but I use those special green bags ("Debbie Meyer") that keep fruit and vegetables fresh longer; that way I am not wasting any produce. I also use the special brown bags for bread. They both work really well.
    Also, I get my non-edibles and non-produce using coupons, store sales, buy 1 get 1 free etc. I try to buy healthy cereals when they are on sale 2 for $5. But for my meat/protein and produce, I only buy what I really really love and what is easy for me to prepare (I'm disabled so don't cook much). While I do try to buy some produce locally (I live in So Cal so there is lots), sometimes I will spend $ on the $2.99 per lb Honeycrisp apples or the doughnut white peaches or fresh blackberries.

I don't know how you can live on only $50 per month for groceries. When my food money was extremely tight last year, I DID go to a church that buys food and then resells for cheap. But that organization no longer exists. Here is a link to another one that I haven't tried, maybe they have a sister organization in your area: http://www.goldensharefoods.com/

I agree with Hickskjh; I try to cut down on all other bills (electricity, phone, water, etc) so I can buy healthy food that I love and that gives me enough energy and nutrients to exercise..