sweet potato recipes!! help!

Options
124»

Replies

• Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    Just bake it... gas 5 for 2 hours, or gas 2 for 2hrs 45mins ish. Amazing.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato chips!

Slice them as thinly as you can

Sprinkle on your fave seasonings (salt, paprika, onion powder)

Put it in the microwave with a sheet of parchment below and above it. Microwave until it is crispy =)
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump for when I'm hungry later :)
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump ... bought some to make later this week with steak! =)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Re: Yams versus Sweet Potatoes

Unless you are going to an ethnic grocer, chances are you have never seen real yams (g. dioscorea), just different varieties of sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas). Both come in a variety of different colours of flesh. You won't likely see yams unless you go to an African grocery.

And just for good measure, what is referred to as yam in Asia is konjac, and Mexican yam is jicama!
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    John’s Healthy Sweet Potato Pie
    Pie Crust
    • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    • 3/4 tsp sea salt
    • 2 Tbs almond milk
    • 1/2 cup olive oil

Sift flour and salt. Combine oil and milk. Combine to flour mixture.
    Finger mold the dough around pie pan. Bake a 375 for 10 minutes
    The Pie
    • 2 (1-1/2 lbs) sweet potatoes
    • 2 tbsp light butter, softened
    • 1 tbsp Honey
    • 1/2 cup Almond milk
    • 1/2 cup Egg Beaters
    • 1/2 tsp ground pumpkin pie spice
    • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1 (9 inch) pie crust – From Above

Note: If you can’t find pumpkin spice you can make it as follows
    2 parts cinnamon, 1 part Ginger, 1 part All Spice, and 1 part Nutmeg

Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 50 to 55 minutes, or until soft.
    Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.
    Blend potatoes in a blender and pulse for about one minute to remove all fibers.

Place sweet potatoes in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well.
    Using an electric mixer, mix in honey, almond milk, egg beaters, spices and vanilla.
    Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.

Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 90 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
    Cut pie into 8 slices, serve and enjoy!

Nutritional Information: Serving Size = 1 slice
    Calories 276, Fiber 5, Fat 17, Sodium 245, Cholesterol 4, Sugar 6, Saturated Fat 4, Trans Fat 0, Potassium 328, Carbs 30, Protein 5, Vitamin A 64, Vitamin C 15, Calcium 5, Iron 15
  • khays59
    khays59 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can also speed up cooking process by cutting the sweet potato into strips (one makes a lot of fries), put into microwave for 6 minutes (one large potato) and then put in oven on broil and they are done in less than 10 minutes. These are great! Good luck.
  • Sunny_CA
    Sunny_CA Posts: 20
    Options
    Bump
  • BodyElectric1
    BodyElectric1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potato. Ate it for the first time last year. I just pop them into the oven with some herbs and olive oil and sometimes I'd add butternut and carrots. Simple but delicious.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    When I make sweet potato fries I peel the potato first, then cut into fry size. coat very lightly with EVOO, a little sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake for around 30-45 minutes (depending on personal prefrence, the shorter amount of time the crunchier the fries.) at 425 degrees.
    I have also heard of using honey greek yogurt as a dip, I tried it and I thought the potatos were good enough by themselves!

Have to try this!!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My favourite way is just plain baked!!!
    400 degree oven for about 45-60 mins just toss it right on the rack
    sometimes I sprinkle it with a little cinnamon after cooking :)
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I cut mine into fries and put chili powder on them. I have read that you should cut them and then soak them in water for 30 minutes prior to baking them to get off excess starch. it also said that stirring up an egg white until it's foamy and then tossing the cut potatoes in that will help them crisp better. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to this weekend.

I tried a recipe where you shred the potato like hash browns and then you are supposed to cook them and they form into a patty, but it didn't work for me. it was still good, but I couldn't get it to form a patty
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I peel, boil, then mash with plain greek yogurt for extra protein and smoother texture. Sometimes I add a little brown sugar and/or cinnamon. This fills me up, and if I have a huge potato I can get two meals out of it.
  • morningsun3112
    morningsun3112 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump I love Sweet potatoes!!!
  • ShanaGore
    ShanaGore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    skins are totally edible, if you want fries, cut them into strips, in a bowl mix 1 tablespoon EVOO, some cinnamon, a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon brown sugar, toss and coat the sweet potato strips with the mixture and bake in the oven on 400 for about 20 min. Also, you can make baked sweet potatoes, wash the potato, pierce w/fork then bake in the oven at 350. The time depends on the size of the potato, usually about an hour, when the potato is soft, take out of oven, cut open and put a small amount of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Or you can bake the potato, take the skin off and mash the inside w/some cinnamon, nutmeg and small amount of brown sugar and margerine.
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    Yum! I just bake mine
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    stealing this from a friend:

2x baked sweet potato

bake like normal,
    slice open carefully remove the inside
    mix with goat cheese, little cin and nutmeg
    add back into the potatoe
    bake again for 7-15 min til it looks glorious and delicious

try to wait for it to cool down from lava stage of heat and enjoy
  • bell1973
    bell1973 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Spray butter, Splenda, Cinnamon, and and few drops of maple extract (to your taste -- this can be strong). You have to mix maple and spray butter together and then blend all ingredients into mashed sweet potatoes.