Over my calorie limit every day...

Options
btm03
btm03 Posts: 38 Member
I've been on here for a little over a week now and I have yet to eat below my calorie limit...I am always WAY OVER. I don't feel like I'm eating a huge amount, but apparently I am or maybe just the wrong foods.

MFP put me at 1200 calories a day and looking at other's intakes everyone else seems to be allotted a lot more. I did lose 3 lbs last week alone so I am not complaining, but just wondering how people actually get below their allotted amount?!?

I am assuming the reason I lost weight was because of all the exercise I've been doing, as my body isn't used to that and that offset my overeating. Just looking for some ideas so that I can continue to lose the weight I would like to lose. Thanks!

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    MFP wants you to eat 1200/day plus whatever you log for exercise. That's the default number for most people who enter 2lb/week as their weight loss goal. 1200 is really low for most people.

A lot of people have higher goals because they've either told MFP they want to lose less than 2lb/week which will increase the amount recommended, or (myself included) they've said "forget THAT!" to MFP's automated goals and set their own.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It takes time to work on it, but the biggest thing is finding the right foods that are lower in cals, and then it becomes alot easier to eat the correct amount. Log things in and expirment. Sometimes it is about what you are eating and that has been the best thing i have learnt from MFP, if you eat the right stuff you can eat plenty of food, change your recipes etc, don't add extras such as sauces and dressings as can really add cals. You'll get there. also plan your day early and then you know what you can eat.
  • btm03
    btm03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I believe I set mine to either .5 or 1 pound a week that I would like to lose. I wouldn't even know what is appropriate, in order to set my own goals!?!?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say.

Exercise helps people to stay under, because the more you burn the more you get to eat. Other people may have lower weight loss goals or be bigger people than you. For example, even if I set my weight loss to .5 pounds per week, I get 1200 because I'm only 5 feet tall. But there are a lot of people who get a lot more than that at .5 pounds and who have lowered their goal to .5 so they get more than 1200. It's a reasonable and healthy goal.

If you can't eat 1200, maybe you can lower your weight loss goal so you are given a more attainable calorie amount.

Also, I stay under my calorie goal by eating a lot of fruits and veggies. You can fill up on those without taking up too many calories.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    1200 cal is the base because any lower than that is dangerous. If you ask it to subtract (500 for 1lb, 1000 for 2lb/week) an amount that would take you lower than 1200, it automatically stops there. It doesn't mean that is a good amount.

Maybe choose a more reasonable goal - like the recommended 1 lb/week.

You get more calories and a more sustainable rate of loss. I am set at 1 lb and consistently lose 1.5 lb/week because I end up slightly under each day.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you're only trying to lose 11 pounds, you need to go slooooow. Figure out your TDEE, and eat about 15-20% less. It might turn out that you won't lose a lot in a short period of time, but the loss will be more sustainable.
  • Missa42
    Missa42 Posts: 2
    Options
    Three words:

Veggies, Veggies, Veggies

I can keep under 1200 if I try but there is no room for BREAD OR PASTA

One low cal recipe => Boneless skinless Chicken fingers in the bottom of a crock pot, top with Zucchini, yellow squash, Eggplant, peppers and onions (fill the pot) => Spice for your taste Cook till done, For 2 fingers and about 1.5 cups of veggies comes out UNDER 300 cals and it is FILLING.

Another staple meal is a 1/4 lb turkey burger (no bun no cheese) and a cup and a half frozen veggies, about 300 cals as well. Remember most mustard is free (ck the label) other condiments are not as they have added sugar!

For breakfast I make an egg bake on the weekend and freese it for easy weekday breafasts filled with protien and veggies. grease a 9 x 13 pan, fill it with 1 potato cubed (soaks up the extra moisture) 1 lb ground sausage (turkey sausage will cut the caloried) 4 oz shreaded chease and FILL the pan with: pepers, onions, spinach, shreaded zuccinin, tomatos really any veggies. Beat 12 eggs with maybe a 1/4 cup skim milk (optional) and poor over the veggie/meat mix. Make sure the eggs get spread out as they will expand when they cook but they need to be all over. Bake for 1 hour at 350 or till a knife come out clean. Depending on the amount of veggies I cut it into 12-16 equal servings
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    Eat clean!!

Add foods like fruit, yogurt, wholemeal bread, peanut butter, eggs, lean meat (chicken breast, steamed fish, salmon) to your diet.

Would you rather eat 1200 calories worth of junk food or 1200 calories worth of healthy food? I would rather you exceed your calorie goal on clean foods than unhealthy foods. It's not that big of a damage than exceeding your limit on unhealthy foods.

STAY AWAY FROM REFINED CARBS! Get your carbs from yogurt and fruit! :)
  • Missa42
    Missa42 Posts: 2
    Options
    I can't believe I like Spinach salad dressing:

Colavita - Raspberry Wine Vinegar, 1/3 cup
    Wegmans - Vegetable Oil, 1 cup
    Sugars - Granulated (sucrose), 1/7 cup
    Keen's - Dry Mustard, 1 tsp
    Hain - Sea Salt, Iodized, 1 tsp
    Mccormick - Poppy Seeds, 1.5 Tablespoon

About 30 cals per teaspoon, over 1/2 a bag of spinach (~ 20 cals) (I break the stems off beacuse I don't like them) Add in some protien (tuna or chicken) (sliceds strawberries are good too) FILLING, tastey and low cal.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    How much are you going over? I cant live off 1200 but 1400-1500 I can do and I am consistently losing weight . I agree with eating clean though as much as possible
  • cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm about 750 calories over my limit. And I haven't even had dinner. :(
    I've only started logging foods yesterday, so right now I'm logging foods just to get into the habit of it. I haven't gone grocery shopping or meal planning for weight-loss stuff yet. I plan on starting next week and actually staying within my limit. I have a feeling this is going to be a challenge.