Can you ever change your 'body shape?'

Options
13»

Replies

• ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Yes you can change your body shape depending on your exercise. Since doing Pilates with the JM DVD's I've noticed a huge change. Heres a link for a little bit of fun!
    http://www.shopyourshape.com/calculate-your-body-shape.html

Mine just said unavailable body type...
    Thats awesome... I feel 100 times fatter and unusual than I did 10 min ago... Thanks a lot!!!!!!!

(I'm kidding of course, not your fault lol)
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I was an hourglass shape - I gained weight very proportionality all over and had a great shape - when I went on birth control and gained weight I turned into an apple, I had always had a flat stomach, even in plus size clothes and suddenly I looked pregnant all the time! I've dropped 41 lbs so far and its amazing to see the change back towards an hour glass

apple:
    image15.jpg

8:
    image.jpg

still have another 40 to lose, but my body has really changed shape
  • Rizabees
    Options
    I was under the impression that your body type will always be your body type, regardless of how heavy or thin you are.

Same here.

If you lose weight you can be the 'straight' or possibly hour glass figure, but you can't change where the fat decides to sit on you. You can't spot reduce, and you can't push your fat to other parts of your body to get your desired shape.
  • HazelChase
    HazelChase Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    LOL...I'm a spoon! Never heard of that one before!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. Out of curiousity, I used the body shape calculator and entered my current measurements, then my measurements from 2.5 months ago. Both came back as "straight" (a politer way of saying apple). I have lost exactly the same 4" in my bust, waist and hips. I am apple shaped, always will be, but it's all in how I choose to carry the shape. IMO, Jillian Michaels is an apple. The still pictures in her advertisements have been retouched to make her waist look narrow. In her videos she looks like an apple.

Jillian definitely doesn't have a very defined waist, but I've heard her say somewhere that the first place she puts on weight/last place it comes off for her is her thighs/butt.

Mine said hourglass, which is fabulous if I could find it! From my waist up, I look great (and I have a nice sized waist). From my hips down, I look fine. In between... ugh... :p

This makes me laugh because it is so true. I gained weight in my belly first, so it will be the last to go. I used to drink beer and developed the classic beer belly. Even in my twenties. One time I made the mistake of fishing for compliments among fellow beer drinkers. Older male said to me, "No, you don't look like you need to lose weight..........except in your stomach." I had another beer.:drinker:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight obviously, but I don't think it's possible to change your predetermined genetic body shape. When I was overweight, I was a banana with large DD boobs.

At the bottom of my BMI range, I'm still a banana with B cup boobs. I will never have an hourglass figure or a very defined waist no matter how much I lose.

Still, I'm just fine with that.
  • acogg
    Options
    You can lose weight obviously, but I don't think it's possible to change your predetermined genetic body shape. When I was overweight, I was a banana with large DD boobs.

At the bottom of my BMI range, I'm still a banana with B cup boobs. I will never have an hourglass figure or a very defined waist no matter how much I lose.

Still, I'm just fine with that.

Agree completely. It is what it is and everyone looks better fit and healthy.:smile:
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Mine said I am a spoon ( like a figure 8) I guess that's a good thing?

I'm a spoon/figure 8/high hip hourglass too. I think it's a good thing! You get a big a curve from you waist to ur high hip!
    I dont think I really changed changed shapes. I'm trying 2 recomp to get rid of my belly & love handles, but I think my shape will stay the same cuz my hip bones stick our farther then my waist.
    My before & so far. Add me! I know how frustrating it is carrying ur weight on ur belly & love handles!
    0-2_zpsae138c15.png
  • acogg
    Options
    Mine said I am a spoon ( like a figure 8) I guess that's a good thing?

I'm a spoon/figure 8/high hip hourglass too. I think it's a good thing! You get a big a curve from you waist to ur high hip!
    I dont think I really changed changed shapes. I'm trying 2 recomp to get rid of my belly & love handles, but I think my shape will stay the same cuz my hip bones stick our farther then my waist.
    My before & so far. Add me! I know how frustrating it is carrying ur weight on ur belly & love handles!
    0-2_zpsae138c15.png

In your first picture, you look like a pear. In your second photo, you look like an hour glass. Amazing!
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Hey guys, just looking for people with progress pictures/stories and/or opinions!

I think I'm apple shaped, as I carry my excess weight around my tummy.

After losing 54lbs, my body is still the same shape, just a lot smaller and firmer.

However, my belly and love handles are so out of proportion to the rest of my body! And I'm starting to feel that no matter what I do I'll always look this way...and will never have a 'bikini' figure no matter how much effort I put in.

I'm happy in myself and I'm a confident girl, I don't hate my body or anything like that, I think everyone should love and appreciate the body they were born with in order to be generally happy, I just want to know if it is possible to ever have a flat tummy with curves after having a muffin top with love handles for years (love handles stick out and are very noticeable!) :smile:

I've been working out for the last two years and I walk every day. My problem has been unhealthy weekend eating habits. Could this be to blame for my 'apple' shape or am I destined to end up like my mum and all of my aunties who are very wide in the stomach and arms?

xxxx

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819880-size-12-about-40-inches-of-fabric

I seen your other post as well, love yourself and figure out what you want. Hope this thread will inspire you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Since when can you turn an apple into an hourglass or a pear into an apple? I was under the impression that your body type will always be your body type, regardless of how heavy or thin you are.
    You are correct.

You can turn an overweight body into a fit body. You cannot turn a pear/hourglass straight or a straight body into a pear/hourglass.
  • chantalM613
    chantalM613 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You cant really change your body shape... This has been my experience. I am pear shaped. With diet and exercise i have been able to become a smaller pear :)
  • GinaSolanki
    Options
    You should check out a programme called Change My Shape. It is all online and has proven results to change your shape within a ten week period, with less than five hours exercise a week and whilst still being able to eat your favourite foods. My parents both did it and the results have been amazing to see first hand!
  • ololade92
    Options
    you are the only one with the correct answer