ladies - lean mass.

Options
There's a lot of info in threads lately regarding eating enough protein and doing strength training to maintain lean mass and maximise fat loss.

So, What is your current lean mass?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

I may have been a little innacurate with the measuring tape to start with in January as it gives me a lean mass of 97lbs when I started, and 98.73 now.

If I can keep this lean mass, and aim for a BF% of 29% (midway of the healthy range for my age) I would get an ideal weight of 138lbs. Before looking at this I would have thought 29% is quite a high fat %, but apparently not.

So, those of you that have lost a lot of weight, how much of your lean mass have you maintained? Is it realistic for me to want to keep hold of all of my 98lbs?

I've decided it is more important to aim for a fat% goal rather than a scale weight goal, so ladies, what fat% are you aiming for?

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Ah, maybe 29% body fat is too much after reading this thread :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/511229--bulky-vs-muscular-the-real-definition
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hey, thank you for posting this because I never knew what ideal weight I should be shooting for. Now I think I will do what you suggest and aim for a body fat percentage of 15% (a long term goal for sure). I am starting the book You Are Your Own Gym.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hey, thank you for posting this because I never knew what ideal weight I should be shooting for. Now I think I will do what you suggest and aim for a body fat percentage of 15% (a long term goal for sure). I am starting the book You Are Your Own Gym.

Sounds good.

I'm surprised how many people here aim for a low weight , without actually checking if that weight is possible, and then get discouraged , but really it shouldn't be all about the scales.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was going with an unrealistic body fat target based on the website you provided. I will shoot for 24% (currently 36.6%) which gives me a target weight of 132 (currently 158). Thanks again for the information!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    When I started on January 9, 2012, I had 74% body fat and 81.4 lean muscle mass. Currently, I have 65.5% body fat and 94 lean muscle. My ultimate weight goal is 140#, but I'm going to shoot for 35% body fat (borderline /normal/overweight. I don't think either is unrealistic, just time consuming (2-3 years guesstimate).
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I am just above 20% BF with a goal of 18-19%. I try to eat at least my body weight in protein and I lift heavy to maintain as much muscle mass as possible while eating on a deficit. I started out at around 36% BF. Good luck!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I need to replace my calipers. Different measurement formulas give me anywhere from 22 to 31. I estimate something like 25 based on having it measured in the past and what I look like now, but it's just a guess.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I got hydrostatic testing and learned I was 122 pounds of lean body mass and 17% body fat. I asked him if this could be a mistake. He said no. I just don't think I "look" like I'm that muscular and lean. I look quite average. I *was* aiming to lose ten more pounds but after finding out the numbers I just went into maintenance.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I just did that and I am 94.4 pounds of lean body mass and 9.6 pounds of fat with an estimated 9.3% body fat. Last time I was checked it was around 10% so I guess this is pretty close?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Mine came up with 19.4% which is the same as my bathroom scale that has the body fat sensor on it says. Says my goal weight should be 156.

You are right about people not knowing what their goal weight should be. My original goal was a total guess at 170. Now that Im almost there I can see that I have about 10 more pounds to go. A bit discouraging but not that big of a deal since the plan all along was to be healthy and lean not really a number on a scale.

Sorry ladies I must not have read the title first.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I just recently started tracking this when I started New Rules for Lifting.

Started at 151 lbs, 23.8 % BF for lean mass of 115 lbs
    Currently 150 lbs, 22.8% BF for lean mass of 115.8 lbs

I was aiming for 130 lbs, but if I maintain my lean mass that would put me at like 12% BF, so I'm now aiming for 140 lbs, which would be about 18% BF.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    According to that calculator I am 27% body fat (about 100 lb lean body mass and 37 pounds fat). My scale tells me I am about 25.5% body fat. I started out on that at over 40%. I am actually pretty happy where I am now, although I wouldn't mind getting down to about 23-24% body fat. A test at the rec center told me I was 21%, but I KNOW that is not right!!!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I started out with about 130 pounds of lean mass on my 294 pound body - that means that more than half of me was FAT (56%)

I actually only lost about 10 pounds of lean mass (no clue how I managed that, I think I'm lucky) but have put 3 pounds of lean mass back on over the past several months.

So now I have 123(ish) pounds of lean mass, I weigh 156(ish), and am sitting at around 21% body fat.

Ladies, let this be a lesson - strength training and proper nutrition are wonderful things.
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I am currently 48% fat (shameful), with 137 lbs lean mass. When I used the calculator, I plugged in a goal of 25% fat, and it gives me a goal weight of 183, which is very close to the goal I already chose (180).
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My goal for body fat% is 23ish.

These online calculators have all given me a range of BF from 36 to 42. This calculator said 40.7%/

It gave me a goal weight of 170 to get there, which is inline with where my "goal" is.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    This is pretty fun. Based on this calculator, being at 27% BF (which is about the middle of the healthy range for my age), means I would weigh 180.....Which is just at the top end of overweight/bottom of obese on the BMI scale for my height.

And let's say, I wanted to get to the top end of healthy for my height? My BF% would need to be 12% Which we all know is super lean fitness model territory during competition week, and not something that is attainable over the long term.

Oh and for laughs, if I wanted to be around 135 (you know the so-called conventional healthy weight for people my height?). 4% body fat. Which is completely not healthy for a woman.

***#1 reason I think BMI isn't a great gauge for people to figure out their goal body weight. My goal is actually solidly in the middle of overweight for my height. And well it looks like, I'd be pretty lean at 22-23% body fat if I got to that goal. Not many inches to pinch if you will.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Started with an estimated 32% BF and 108lb lean mass.

Currently an estimated 19% BF and 104lb lean mass.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Lean mass -- approximately 150 lbs. Fat -- nearly 60 lbs.
    And the BMI table tells me that I should weigh low 170s max. *roll*.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 10% body fat- but currently sitting around 13%.
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I’m currently at 24% BF and 129lb, - pre kids I was at 17% BF and 120lb but that was such hard work to maintain so now am thinking somewhere between then and now :happy: