Partners with unhealthy diets

Options
Any tips on how to deal with partners that have no concerns about what they eat? I know that ultimately I am solely responsible for what I put in my mouth, but many times I've found my efforts thwarted by situations(fried foods) that I normally wouldn't be exposed to unless my boyfriend was around. He loves to cook and if it isn't delicious(which for him equals crispy, salty, cheesy, and topped with bacon), he wont eat it.

Throughout the week I'm pretty good about exercise and diet (calories goals are met and exercise goals exceeded), but I throw caution to the wind when he comes around on the weekends. Having all of that temptation and happiness is overwhelming, and on Mondays I feel like I have to compensate for all the slip ups. I've gotten better about it because health for me has been prioritized, but it's still difficult and I sometimes feel resentful towards him.

So, although I assume all responsibility, how can I make it easier to get through the weekends with a partner that loves bacon? (Haha, I love bacon, too).

Replies

• Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    Yeah, my family are snack craved teenagers and wife. What I do is cook along with them and make substitutions for what they are having. For example when they have bacon i get the turkey bacon and only cook 2 slices. If going out I order healthy. My wife is supportive and does insanity with me but not really dieting. She is doing great. I cannot pass a McDonalds, smell it without gaining weight.
    Just let him know your goal and hopefully he will support it.
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My husband eats whatever he wants and, like yours, loves to cook with salt and oil. It drives me nuts. I will empty it off my plate and tell him he knows I usually don't eat fried food or ever add salt to my foods. He usually gets a little ticked, but too bad.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That's tough. And I have always had this problem myself. I find that even though I allow myself a cheat day (not entire weekend), I still lose weight. Would I loose more if I didn't do that? Probably. But the way I see it is....if I don't allow myself those guilty pleasures, then I will fail. We have to let it slide once in a while and eat what we want within reason. I do. I have lose nearly 40 pounds doing so. So don't be so hard on yourself. As long as you arent going on long binges, and you are generally pretty good throughout the week, I think you are going to be just fine. :-)
  • laj3918
    laj3918 Posts: 28
    Options
    My husband is the same way. Cheese is its own food group in my house... My approach is to focus on me. He can do whatever damage to his body he chooses...it is ultimately his choice and he will have to deal with the consequences. Me, however, I will not cave to his preferences. I mean, sure I'll steal a fry or two off his plate to reinforce why i shouldn't eat them (weird, right?) but I won't order what he orders.

And it's a bit different in that I'm married and provide the household food... Good luck! Don't give in. Just stay focused... you can do it! (in this case, it is TRULY ALL ABOUT YOU!)

:smile:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Last year, I watched what I ate while my boyfriend ate whatever he wanted. We live together, and you can ask anyone, we are inseparable. There was temptation everywhere, but I decided that I was going to stick to it. He ate pizza while watching me do Insanity.

Honestly, there's no good way except to just do it. If you want something bad enough, you will make no excuses. Now the tables are turned and I eat whatever I want and he's trying to lose weight. Oh well...Its on him if he lets temptation get the best of him.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I just make him what he wants and eat what I want. Not to much of an issue. My diet is mine. Not his.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I definitely know how this feels. My husband is small, and he doesn't watch what he eats at all. He loves anything with bacon, as well!

Usually what I'll do with my husband on the weekends (which is usually when I have the worst trouble) is I will be the one cooking the meals. I'll make dinner, and i'll let him have say in some of the things that he eats, but I try to make him eat a little healthier. If he wants chicken, I'll make baked chicken (lightly spiced), and vegetables. I tell him that he doesn't have to eat all the vegetables, but he has to at least eat some of them.

I can't completely tell him what to eat, and how much, but I can make small changes to make his health better. Plus, it makes it easier for me with my eating habits, too!

Have you talked with him in regards to how you feel about all this?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My husband has started to lose weight because I'm making healthier choices. I still offer him whatever he wants, and he does indulge in things I refuse to touch, but he's not snacking or binging as much as he used to! If you want to share something with your boyfriend, just try smaller portions?
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My future hubby is the same way. He could care less how he eats. Thankfully though he supports me and the idea of our son eating like me. This doesn't stop him from bringing in horrible temptations. I pick my battles. It does take a lot of effort to stay strong but there are some things I can't do it with so I had talk with him and asked him to work with me and those certain things keep out. (frozen pizzas was a biggie) and if he is going to have it, hurry up and eat it. Then I tackled my strength with the other things. Now he can have those things that tempt me, when he cooks it I struggle but it helps when I'm already full. So maybe try talking to him and seeing if he can meet you half way and maybe the things that tempt you the most he can enjoy in your absense? And of course always eat before being around bad food. It's still tough but much easier to fight with a full belly!
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It is hard. My husband is fully aware he needs to lose some weight but he loves food and most of the food he loves is really going to kill him. But no man loves a nagging wife/gf and the more you push the more he will turn away. Let him see you doing good and politely turn down his food without saying anything but thank him and praise him for cooking it. Sometimes when my husband cooks i eat some of it but make sure I eat a small portion and then I eat something before or after thats super healthy that can a) fill me up so i dont fill up on icky stuff and b) because well its healthy for me. Once he sees your progress he may make small changes. When he asks about it only talk about the positives of whow much you feel better etc.
  • mellstein
    mellstein Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    same story at my house...so, when my hubby eats things that look really good, i'll have a bite or two. just enough to get the flavor and not have the craving. it works really good for us;)
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    It's really hard staying positive and keep a clean diet when your partner snacks on process chips/cheese dip/slim jims, and wants to have fast food every other day.... makes me want to give up.
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    That's tough. And I have always had this problem myself. I find that even though I allow myself a cheat day (not entire weekend), I still lose weight. Would I loose more if I didn't do that? Probably. But the way I see it is....if I don't allow myself those guilty pleasures, then I will fail. We have to let it slide once in a while and eat what we want within reason. I do. I have lose nearly 40 pounds doing so. So don't be so hard on yourself. As long as you arent going on long binges, and you are generally pretty good throughout the week, I think you are going to be just fine. :-)

I agree! I do the same!
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My wife continually gets confrontational when I don't eat exactly what she eats. I prepare 70% of the dinners in our household. However, she makes the list of what we will be getting 2 weeks in advance because she is OCD. I cook it for her and our son, but will eat something healthier. SHE HATES IT!

I am losing weight and feeling better, so I can take the heat! Wait until I am at my goal weight and toned and then she will see!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I just factor all that stuff into my calorie intake. if I plan on having a big greasy dinner with friends I eat light during the day. some days I save all my calories for beer :drinker:
  • chellk71
    chellk71 Posts: 69
    Options
    my husband drives me nuts, The man can stop snacking for a day and loose weight. But he goes out and buys chips, ice cream, candy and the like. I buy a little cause I have two teens but I don't go outo f my way to get it. And I have no will power if its in the house. I have just asked him to buy the stuff they know I don't like. Seeing if that helps me.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my family are snack craved teenagers and wife. What I do is cook along with them and make substitutions for what they are having. For example when they have bacon i get the turkey bacon and only cook 2 slices. If going out I order healthy. My wife is supportive and does insanity with me but not really dieting. She is doing great. I cannot pass a McDonalds, smell it without gaining weight.
    Just let him know your goal and hopefully he will support it.

What he said above. Have healthy alternatives on hand that you can eat or just eat some (a few bites or small serving). Make healthy choices when you can. And you can eat bacon--but only have two strips and balance it out with other healthy options. My husband often makes dinner, which can include things I shouldn't be eating--so I'll make a salad to go along with it and load up on that while having a small serving of the mac n'cheese so he feels like we're still eating together. It's really just about portion control and making good decisions when you can.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is the worst motivator for me. He is always eating in bed, chips, ice cream, candy, he also hide the items in my lunch box. I just remind him of my goals tell him that I really need his support if I am going to complete this goal, but you need to be strong and remind yourself of your goals.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem when my husband and I were dating. We didn't live together so during the week I did fine and then on the weekends I was surrounded by temptation. When we got married and moved in together the temptations were there every day. I do the grocery shopping but I have and will always buy him whatever he asks for (well, within reason and budget). So we always have ice cream in the freezer. I have learned to pick my indulgences and make them fit into my calories for the day/week. Good luck!
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    my husband eats out on a daily basis.....breakfast and lunch. I finally have learned to say 'no' to eating out at lunch with him (we work next door to one another.) I am learning to be stronger when we stop for breakfast in the morning. Dinner time kills me. I am the cook, but all I hear is complaining unless....like y'all....my dinners are covered in cheese or bacon...or both. *sigh*