Pregnancy, MFP and Exercising?!

Options
So we are working on getting pregnant and I was wondering if any of you have continued MFP while you were pregnant? What exercises did you do? Looking for suggestions and information so I can continue my fitness journey.

Replies

• jessdeweerdt
    Options
    I'm not pregnant.. but my husband and I are trying to conceive.. I'm interested in any responses...................... :)
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Cassandra Forsythe's blog http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/ is an invaluable resource!!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The general rule of thimb is that anything you were doing before you got pregnant, you can continue to do while pregnant, within reason. Things with higher probability of serious falls, like mountain biking, may have to be avoided or limited. If there are complications, do whatever your OB tells you to do.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I know some women swear by prenatal yoga. It helps keep you limber and eases many common pregnancy aches and pains.

A pregnant woman only needs 300 more calories a day than a non-pregnant woman.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Also trying to get pregnant here :)

I agree that the general rule is anything you were already doing, you can continue, BUT ASK YOUR DOCTOR FIRST! Just in case!
    There is also prenatal yoga and other prenatal classes.

Good luck getting pregnant! :flowerforyou:
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not pregnant, but would like to be soon, I always heard that if your physically active before pregnancy, you can continue throughout the rest of your pregnancy, Its actually recommended to stay active. Good for you and your babe. and p.s. DO NOT use pregnancy as an escape goat to eating bad foods again and pigging out. If it had no nutritional value to you, it doesn't have any nutritional value to your baby. Just continue healthy eating, not dieting :))
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been on this site since before I got pregnant, and i'm now 8 1/2 months. I will admit I did MUCH better, but it is definately a good site to still use! It helps with weight gain because you tend to fight off alot of the cravings because of the logging. As far as the excersize goes, your not gonna wanna do a bunch of the heavy duty stuff but safe excersizes and walking/swimming/ stuff like that are great and also nice to be able to log!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    as a mom of two....

be careful with the 300 calorie thing.... you really shouldnt put on any weight in the first trimester.

the 300 calories is an average over the span of the whole pregnancy, with your need increasing as your baby grows. So don't start adding 300 cals as soon as you pee on a stick. wait until the second trimester to start adding calories to your maint. level cals.

and yes, exercise, but be aware that abdominal injury (like a soccer ball to the tummy) is now a serious injury.

good luck to all of you trying to conceive!!!!
  • Jessie__86
    Options
    I have two girls 13 months apart, the youngest is 6 months old. I worked out throughout my entire pregnancies, including doing my kickboxing classes(which i love). If you were active before you were pregnant you should continue to be during pregnancy. Mostly anything your body is used to you can continue to do. obviously dont do anything ab related and dont get pregnant and start training to run a marathon if you never ran before! good luck :)
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Ab work is actually fine - planks, crunches, and obliques are totally okay and encouraged until you literally can't do them. Stepups, squats, lunges... within the limitations of your body. (I get pretty loose in the joints, so I think lunges would be a bad idea for me.)

Nothing that involves downward pressure in your pelvis, though - so while I would totally continue weight training throughout being pregnant, I would stop doing heavy weighted squats and would cut my deadlifts to under 100 lb. And you want to pay closer attention to your body's temperature and hydration - get enough to drink, don't overheat, and be mindful of your heart rate. They used to say not to let it go over 150bpm, but now they more say to pay attention to your exertion level in general.

If you're a runner, sure you can keep running. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Moms/marathon-mom-pregnant-woman-amber-miller-finishes-chicago/story?id=14706286 :wink:
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    MFP wasn't around when I was preggers but I kept strength training up until late in the pregnancy - and I swam nearly every day. (we had a pool at the time) I also stretched afterwards. I did isometric ab exercises too. I really think that it helps with delivery. The fitter you are while pregnant the quicker you will recover.

As you get further along you shouldn't do exercises that have you on your back, or on your stomach of course.
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So we are working on getting pregnant and I was wondering if any of you have continued MFP while you were pregnant? What exercises did you do? Looking for suggestions and information so I can continue my fitness journey.

Logging in foods to MFP would be beneficial when you are pregnant because the app version breaks out your nutrition as far as iron, calcium....which could be useful. '

Definitely keep working out, studies have shown that a fit mom = a fit baby...cardiovascular benefits were passed down from mother to fetus. Talk to your OB about what is good/off limits, only they know what your risks are and what you can and cannot do.

Congrats!!!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    One thing I'd add is that if you use trainers or attend group classes, to let the instructors know that you're pregnant. There may be specific things within an otherwise good workout that's not acceptable. Like twists in yoga (which may be used for stretches in other programs).
  • applebottomjeans11
    applebottomjeans11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    WOW thank you for all the responses!!! I look forward to adding you as friends for those of you TTC so we can all support each other through the journey and those of you have continued your fitness know what you're talking about. THANK YOU again!