When do you find time to workout w/ having busy kids???

Options
Hi!! I am a very busy mother of 4. Two stepsons, 14 and 11, who are busy w/ learning how to drive and baseball practice/games. I have a daughter, 8, going to volleyball, and I have a very busy 4 year old boy. I am working a full-time job, about 8 hours a day, plus studying at night for my nurse practitioner. Not to mention the regular chores of the house and making dinner at a decent hour.

All and all my question is for all those busy parents out there....how and when do you work out?? How long do you work out?? How do you do on dieting/food choices when you have so many other mouths to feed??

I was doing okay, working out and eating better, but not to what I have been wanting to do, and the scale went up 2 lbs. I was so discourage!! I didn't know what I was doing wrong.

I appreciate your help.

Replies

• Misery03
    Misery03 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i work alot and have a 2 year old so id like to know too,:P im always too tired by time she goes to bed..
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I work out 35 mins a day whenever I can. You can gain during the first few weeks of working out, it's only water retention and it WILL come off (if you're eating in a deficit)

I try to do it in the am so it's done and I can get on with my day. Otherwise, I will find excuses.

Best quote I tell myself "If you want something bad enough you will find a way, and if you don't, you will find an excuse"
  • MelanieL1984
    Options
    I appreciate it!! You are exactly right with your quote. I need to stop finding excuses and just get it done. I do appreciate the water retention comment. I have never heard of that before. I am going to check into it. Thanks!!
  • LadyRush
    LadyRush Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I work out when the kids go to bed....no matter how late it is. Sometimes, okay it sucks a lot, but that's how it gets done! I'm not a morning person at all.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I lift from 12a to 1a, after work, kids get me up by 7, gets me about 5 hours of sleep.............for years i talked myself into sleeping instead because i "needed" that more than the exercise..........now i do the opposite. I will sleep when I'm dead.
  • TLPat
    TLPat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a three year old son and twin 9 month old girls. I set the alarm for 4:30...drive to the gym...work out for about an hour and come home to get ready for work...drop my son at preschool...start my work day. I only manage this twice during the week and then i go on the weekend.
  • Trish1996
    Options
    I have 2 kids ages 8 and 10. And they keep me going. I also work full time. I get up at 5 am so that I can get my workout in otherwise it won't get done with everything that needs done after work and school.
  • agriffitts85
    agriffitts85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    when im cooking i keep moving that burns calories, cleaning the house burns calories, i have a 15 month old child and he is very much a mommas boy and likes to be carried and bounced around so doing that while walkign around burns calories, while sitting i do leg lifts, and i tighten my stomach muscels and release, i do breathing as well, when i can get to the gym i do, but other than that i am constantly consumed with four small children. 7,4,3,and 15 months.... so im very busy all the time.... and i dont drive so if we go anywhere we walk everywhere... plus i live on the second floor, and have to carry a stroller and a baby up and down the stairs, plus the trash i have to carry down the stairs as well... every little movement you do if you really think about it and consentrate on it it can burn calories for you.
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've got 3 kids aged 14, 12, and 6. I found the only time I know I can work out during the week is at 5am. I get on my bike and do my loop that takes me about 1:10. Get home, shower and then start getting the kids up and ready for school. I started getting up that early because that is the only time I am guaranteed to be able to work out.

It was hard at first, but I did get used it (pretty quickly in fact) and now it doesn't phase me. it is actually very peaceful at that time since there are no cars on the road.
  • mimi10453
    mimi10453 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of 10 minute DVDs and I have workouts on my iPhone via YouTube. Whenever the kids are sleep, playing, etc I squeeze one in!
  • jennifer783
    jennifer783 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I work out when the kids go to bed....no matter how late it is. Sometimes, okay it sucks a lot, but that's how it gets done! I'm not a morning person at all.

^this^
    That, or the kiddos work out with us or have quiet play time while we work out. As far as diet....I only stock healthy food now, so family doesn't really have any other choice but to eat healthy with me :wink:

My kids are 3, 5, and 7 so we understand and appreciate all the excuses. It really does come down to what you want more!
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    during my lunch hour at work! I have an hour commute (and a 2 year old)--- leave the house at 630am- home at 6pm. Getting the exercise at lunch time works great for me then I just eat lunch at my desk.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have a three year old son and twin 9 month old girls. I set the alarm for 4:30...drive to the gym...work out for about an hour and come home to get ready for work...drop my son at preschool...start my work day. I only manage this twice during the week and then i go on the weekend.

^^ This except I manage to do it 3 morniings a week and one day on the weekend.
  • Elona_30
    Elona_30 Posts: 66
    Options
    Im a single Mom of a very active 4 year old little girl, Im was in school up untill 2 weeks ago, and it all comes down to what you eat, I have an elipitical and I try to do a workout everynight or first thing in the morning, its 20 min. Now there were days that i was way to tired to even try and do the workout or eating right. Its really not easy but you have to make time for yourself, even if its just a 20 min workout its time for you, you do so much for your family that you forget about your self. Keep trying you can make it work.
  • kgilbert75
    kgilbert75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have SOOOO much respect for all of you! I stay home full-time and have an awesome gym that has great child care so I workout every morning. But I have a friend who owns a veterinary clinic and gets up every morning at 4am so she can get to the gym before her kids get up.My hat is off to all of you for getting up before the sun or staying up late to workout. I was well over 200 pounds when I worked full-time because I didn't have the willpower to do anything about it.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i found a gym that has limited babysitting hours so i try to go during those times. but even so, i get paged for various reasons--like ill be doing bench presses and ill hear my name on the intercom cause i have to change pull ups. lol
  • donnalynn5
    Options
    I wear an east fit from snap fitness. My daily goal is 30 points (you get points from movement) If at the end of the day I have not made 30 I do a little more exercise. wearing it all day makes me think about it and move more (I never strand still) I love my east fit (It is similar to a pedometer but plugs into a computer to SNAP fitness web site.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I get up with my husband when he leaves for the day at 5 am.
  • LCHOLT71
    LCHOLT71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I walk 1/2 hour at lunch, then try to walk 20 - 30 minutes after dinner - the children walk or bike with me. When my daughter is in activities, I walk for at least 20 - 30 minutes.
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I get my husband to do bath time - sometimes I work out while they are having dinner and I just have a shake or something light. Lunch time from work is possible too sometimes.