When do you find time to workout w/ having busy kids???

Options

Replies

• Determined24
    Determined24 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ok I thought I was busy with working, going to school, and both kids in soccer..... I actually have got to the point I get up early 0450 to start my workout by 0500..... I normally do 60 min...... but if I don't have the time I split it up 30 minutes in the morning thirty in the evening.... even if you can get 10 min here and there it will eventually equal to 30 minutes before the day is over.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    if I need to squeeze excercise in, I will turn on some music and dance with our youngest. Oldest is 16 so dancing with mom would be well, socially unacceptable. we both have a great time and then sometimes he brings me hand weights which is his way of signaling to me to that he wants the music on and to shake our booties!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I make time, not excuses. My alarm goes off at 4.40 and I work out (at the gym) until 6. Back home to take the kids to school/go to work at 7.30.

I have joined a 24 hour gym so I don't have to conform to opening hours. My husband is home (but sleeping) when I go out to the gym. On days taht he's not home I still wake up at 4.40 and workout at home with exercise DVDs
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of 2 (ages 3 & 6), work full-time out of the home and home owner. With the nice weather I'm able to get in a 45 minute walk at lunch time, I do Wii zumba 2 or Just Dance 3 with the kids, take the kids to the bike path/park or I drop them at the Y childcare areas while I do some cardio or zumba. They were doing all kinds of activities a couple of months ago (swimming, gymnastics, basketball etc) and I told them we were going to take a break until fall so I could focus on me. We still do fun things for them, just when we can fit the activities in (no stress and they still have fun). I'm sure with older kids it might be more difficult to put their stuff on hold, but the younger ones were a pretty easy sell. I cook and clean when I want...so right now those are also some "sacrifices" I've made.

I'd say have some of the older kids pitch in for making meal or get the crock pot out. It really is a tough balance, but even a 30 minute walk will benefit you!
  • StoryGirl9
    Options
    I work part-time, but from 2pm-2:30 am. So, the nice thing about that is I work out before work on work days and then when I get my kids off to school in the morning. However, last week was spring break and I still was able to work out all but one day by telling them it was time for me to work out and they were welcome to join me (both boys, age 7) or find something to do while I worked out. A few days they came and worked out and the other days they played with our dogs. They know that I am a better and happier mom when I do exercise so they willingling comply.
  • Lynnibird
    Options
    I've been there myself. If you take your boys to ball practice nd stay until they are done, you can take the 4 year old on a nature hike or play ball with him. It will wear him out and get you excercise. I forget what sport your daughter plays, whether it is inside or outside, bleachers are a great workout, again the 4 year old will have a blast on this one as he tries to ebat you up and down them.

The one thing to remember if you are excercising, you are turning fat into muscle, which weighs more. So even though you are losing, the scale may not show all your hard work. This si where I have problems. It is real discouraging when you work so hard and find the scale going in the wrong direction. The best way to measure is not the scale, but the tape measure. Inches usually fall more quickly than the pounds will!

Good luck!
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You should check out bodyrock.tv! These are HIIT workouts that are usually 20 minutes or less, and you can get a GREAT workout in! Definitely recommend to look into! The success stories on the site are AH-mazing!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom of three- one busy 7 yo and 2 yo twin boys one of whom has special needs and enough appointments in a week that it's like he has a full time job! I work out at 5am. I run outside tues, thur and Saturday and I go to to the gym 2-3 other days. Usually I get to the gym Monday and fri or sat. For some reason I don't want to do anything on. Wednesdays. I also walk on my lunch at least once a week (usually on Wednesday).

I have worked out at night but that cuts into my time with my husband so I really try hard to get it done mornings. Good luck! It's hard but you're not alone!
  • Hawksbillus
    Hawksbillus Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My wife and I get up at 6am 4 times a week and do strength training for about 60-90 minutes. The kids get up about 7am or so.
  • dixeyk
    dixeyk Posts: 20
    Options
    I walk my eight year old to school in the morning (about a mile and a half) and then have another mile and a half up a steep hill to get to my work. Then the reverse at the end of the day. Does us both good and saves on gas. I also jump rope while he's doing his homework...12 minutes at a fast pace jumping rope burns around 230 calories. Add in some pushups, burpees, planks and hill climbers and you can cram a lot into 30 minutes.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 and 3year old. I work from home office so I workout at lunch. If I have to leave to,a customer site, I wake up early.

Good luck. Maybe try writing your schedule down and figure out a gap, maybe squeeze in the gap. Maybe join a gym with kids programs :)
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person AT ALL but have been getting out to run by 6:00am these days - believe it or not, I actually enjoy it out there at that time too - it is peaceful, and cool... with the summer coming, there's no way I am going to run in the heat - I hate being hot. Also, Today... I did Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred WITH my 5 and 3 year olds while a cake baked. We are women - multi-task...you CAN do it! My motto: JUST DECIDE!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm heading to the gym now.....almost 9:30. Mostly because I'm a moron partially because my family/job eats up too much of my personal time. Find time....that's all I got.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I work out after the kids go to bed, try sometimes in the morning. But I'm not near as busy as you are. :-)
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I get up with my husband at 5 am. The only time I really have to myself is in the morning after he leaves and before the kids get up (I have an 8, 6 and 3 yo at home and I watch my niece and nephews during the day/mornings). I usually try to workout in that time, the only other time I have is during the school year when my youngest takes a nap. (I do stay home, but two of my kids are special needs and cleaning and my school, doesn't leave alot of time for other things.)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I go at 8pm four nights a week after my husband gets home from work. It's not babysitting if it's your kids. I consider it a well deserved Mommy hour.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I lift from 12a to 1a, after work, kids get me up by 7, gets me about 5 hours of sleep.............for years i talked myself into sleeping instead because i "needed" that more than the exercise..........now i do the opposite. I will sleep when I'm dead.

I LOVE that!!!! My husband has instilled that saying in my head........sleep when you're dead!! I get up between 4:30 and 5 am (depending on the what I'm doing that day) to workout before my 4 kids get up for the day. I too thought that I needed extra sleep more than exercise but not anymore. I actually sleep better at night when I do exercise.
  • arleylange
    Options
    I understand busy, I have four boys 8 and younger. I work out at 5:30 a.m. If I don't work out before my kids get up, I don't work out. I run and follow DVDs. Early morning is the way to go :-)
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Im a busy mom who works and goes to schooI I start my day at 530 am so I can get my workout in. As exhausted as I am I feel better cause I know its done and out of the way and I like having that hour to myself before everyone else wakes up. On the weekends I tell the kids to go play and I take control of the tv and sometimes they just watch me and I dont care anymore. My kids are 14, 12, and 5. Just find time that works for you whether it be really early , later in the evening after kids bedtime, or finding a time in the day sometimes I come home from work and get a second workout in between going to class. I think you just have to find that time and at first if your not used to waking up early or going to bed maybe a little bit later it will seem tiring like a chore at first until you become used to it and become more of a routine
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids - 13, 11 and 7. I usually get in my workout at 8:30pm. I have a gym set up in our finished basement and we brought a second TV down there for the kids. I am doing 30DS and Zumba each night. I also have a great employer that provides us a 1 hour yoga class on Tuesday and Thursday at 2pm. My middle child is special needs so we have always opted to do our workouts at home instead of at the gym and using childcare.

Good luck! It isn't easy, for any of us!