has a close friend of yours died?

Options
_snw_
_snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
my very best friend in the world died awhile ago. the anniversary just came and went. I'm sure the lot of us had family pass, but are we collectively at that age where this is more likely to have happened already? (not that i'm at an age where this should happen, at least i hope not - k's death was way too early - i just mean that the older we get, the higher the chance.)

Replies

• j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    my friends ex-wife. they went through a divorce around the same time as I did. died from depression and self-abuse through alcoholism. definitely makes growing up the suck!
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Ugh. From summer 2010 to Christmas 2011, I went to 9 funerals...none were family..all friends.

It blows. And these days I find myself worrying about my parents passing...scares the **** out of me.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I actually lost my very best friend in the entire world 10 years and 4 months ago (not that I count or anything)...he was killed in a house fire in the early morning of January 2nd - I had literally seen him about 4 hours before it happened.

It is possibly one of the hardest things I have gone through. I still think about him every single day, and every year on the anniversary of his death I light the candle he gave me for my 19th birthday (about a half a month before he died) and let it burn for a just a bit.. probably a little pathetic but meh.. it is what it is..
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Yes he was born with cerebral palsy but never quit on life.
    Some days would drive you nuts but had a heart of gold.
    Was in a lot of ways the little brother I never had and was killed in a freak car accident 1998.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It blows. And these days I find myself worrying about my parents passing...scares the **** out of me.

Definitely the worst feeling, especially when it's inevitable in the near term. Sorry to hear about your friends :(
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Sadly to say I have attended too many personal funerals; some came expected and some unexpected. Cancer; Strokes; Alzheimer; Heart failure; In Line of Duty and Military Service deaths.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Lost an ex BF to cancer, childhood friend to a car accident, good friend to suicide. That was all in my 20s though....my parents are definitely getting older and my dad has been sick for a while, which scares the crap out of me.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It is always terrible whatever the age. I lost a close friend 15 yrs ago at the age of 13. he committed suicide. The anniversary was just this past week. Regardless of the situation you always have to remember the positive about the person, and their impact on your life.
  • Kirstenrox
    Options
    Yea my best friend died in 9th grade. She stopped breathing in her sleep and they put her on machines but she was gone, so she was taken off. So sad :(
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I lost my brother, biggest fan, worst enemy, fearless protector, and meanest bully 7 years ago to substance abuse/suicide. His 32nd birthday was yesterday.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I've not, yet, lost a friend. I have lost a brother and many other close family. Loss is hard. I do think of it as I get older.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of people in my life die before they should have. Both of my grandmothers died when I was in middle school (never knew my grandfathers). Also some aunts and uncles.

The worst deaths in my life were:
    My friend from high school (I lost contact with him after graduation) disappeared while in a row boat with two friends. His shoe was found (with the foot bones in it) a few months later in the ocean. That always made me regret not keeping contact with him and I still think about him a lot. That was about 5 years ago now.

Recently (last month), my husband's uncle commited suicide. He was the sweetest guy but very unstable. He left behind his 18 yr old and 15 yr old daughters, who were very close to him. That funeral service was the worst one I had ever been to. The family tried to keep it casual and light-hearted (how he would have wanted it), but it was so hard for everyone to keep a smile on their face. I think about him a lot and I feel so bad for his daughters.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Lost my very good friend Glen 15yrs ago. Sadly he took his own life...always before when he was down, he'd call me. That time he didn't call. I think of him daily...still wonder if there was something else I should have done. I miss him. Never can I listen to the Black Hat Saloon album by Rusty Weir, or the song House Of The Rising Sun by Animals without thinking of him..and without crying.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I lost a friend from college when I was 25 or 26, so we had not been out of college long. He was a severe epileptic. He had horrible siezures every day. One day, his poor body had had enough. I still miss him.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Actually a close friend of mine just passed a way 2 weeks ago in a skiing accident. He was a great guy and had just asked his gf to marry him. Our bdays were just days apart and we alway had a drink on them.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    A girl I had been close to in elementary school died from anorexia just before graduation in 2002. She spent the last two years of her life in the hospital. :(
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    one of my best friends was shot and killed on my 18th birthday, i lost another friend the same way about 2 years later and my friend kevin that died on my birthday his aniversary bothered me for about 10 yrs after. as sad as it was it really made me look at my life and the path i was on and woke me up! sorry your having a tough time
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I lost my very best friend to cancer September 24th 2008. I loved him with all my heart and soul. I miss him every day. I often imagine things that he would do or say in certain situations. Sometimes thinking makes me laugh sometimes it makes me cry sometimes I do both. One thing my heart is heavy and yet so empty.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Ive lost friends ,to drugs,murder,suicide,and a car accident
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I lost my best friend when I was 14. She drowned in the Mississippi River when she jumped in to save a neighbor boy who'd been wading and got swept up in the current. She didn't know how to swim, but knew she had to save him. She got behind him, kicked him to safety, her little sister (then 6) grabbed her hand, but ultimately, my friend let go, not wanting to pull her baby sister in too. The found her 3 days later MILES down the river.

We lost a very close friend last fall to suicide, and my father-in-law last April.

I've been to more funerals than i can count though, and most of them were in high school. Car accidents of different varieties mostly.