Quick question

Options
So I've been on MFP since Feb now and I've always kept my activity level at active. The question is...is this an ok level for me for my diary? I usually burn around 700-1300 calories a day 5 times a week and I have my setting for 5 days a week for 60 mins a piece. I also chose the lose 2 lb option.

Replies

• LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LenaMena87
    Options
    Can someone answer my question PLEASE!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    So I've been on MFP since Feb now and I've always kept my activity level at active. The question is...is this an ok level for me for my diary? I usually burn around 700-1300 calories a day 5 times a week and I have my setting for 5 days a week for 60 mins a piece. I also chose the lose 2 lb option.

Are you truly "active"? If so, then yes, that is an ok level for your diary. If not, then no.
  • LenaMena87
    Options

Are you truly "active"? If so, then yes, that is an ok level for your diary. If not, then no.

I do strength training 3 days a week, zumba 3-5 days a week and I run at least 4 miles 5 days a week.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    activity level is meant to account for your activity outside of exercise...like your job and making dinner and running kids around that kind of thing not necessarily exercise. That's why our exercises that we enter in the diary affect our daily totals.
  • LenaMena87
    Options
    activity level is meant to account for your activity outside of exercise...like your job and making dinner and running kids around that kind of thing not necessarily exercise. That's why our exercises that we enter in the diary affect our daily totals.

Ok so which level should I have it on? I'm confused now.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options

^^ Yep! That's how the MFP system is based.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Ok so which level should I have it on? I'm confused now.

MFP assume you're activity level is based on you daily activities outside of added exercise. What do you do for a living? How murph activity do you get from that?
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Here's some definitions from a quick search from google (http://weightloss.about.com/od/exercis1/qt/benefitsexp.htm):

Sedentary Lifestyle - MFP equivalent Sedentary

A sedentary or inactive lifestyle refers to exercising fewer than three times per week.

Lifestyle Activity - MFP equivalent Lightly Active

Lifestyle physical activity refers to activities you do regularly as a part of your everyday life. These types of activities typically burn about 150 calories a day for the average person.

Moderate Exercise Program - MFP equivalent Active

A moderate exercise program refers to participating in some type of cardiorespiratory endurance exercise for at least 20 to 60 minutes, three to five days per week. This can also include strength training and stretching exercises.

Vigorous Exercise Program - MFP equivalent Very Active

A vigorous exercise program refers to exercising for 20 to 60 minutes most days a week, which may include aerobic exercise, interval training, strength training and stretching exercises.

---

Sounds to me that you're definitely in the Very Active range since you're exercising pretty much every day.

You should still be careful that you don't over do it. With this much exercise you will need to be very cautious about which muscles you are working out on. Be mindful for injuries because if you have to sit out for a week due to over-straining your body, you would lose a week of exercise and pretty much make your activity level fall down to the Active/Lightly Active ranges.

Sounds like you're doing fine. Keep it up!
  • munkysmama
    munkysmama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What kind of work do you do? Are you on your feet most of the day? Or do you sit at a desk all day? The exercises we log are what we burn above and beyond our regular daily activities. I sit at a desk 9 hours a day, so my level is sedentary. MFP calculates your suggested calories based on your BMR-and your BMR is based on your daily activity level.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I personally like to keep mine at sedentary and log all of my exercise...
    (Don't count your activity in both places or MFP will add twice as many calories as it should)

Seeing it written down 1) helps me see how even little things can add up and 2) helps me to see the progress I've made in how much more I can do now than I when I first started

I find seeing progress keeps me motivated.

From looking at your pict. I'm thinking your a healthy BMI or pretty close to it.
    2 lbs a week sounds like an awful lot to expect of your body. You may be setting yourself up for frustration.
    Even if you selected 2 lbs a week doesn't mean MFP will give that to you. Because It want's you to get in your proper nutrition so that you don't lose muscle mass it won't give you less than 1200 cal a day.

Go to MY HOME > GOALS
    Look at the lower right corner of your stats chart and it will say PROJECTED WEIGHT LOSS. This is the maximum rate of loss that MFP thinks you can do healthily.

I lost my first 15 at lose 1 lb a week and the next 10 at lose 1/2 lb a week for the last 5 every time I lost a pound I added 100 calories to my diet so I'd get used to eating at maintenance, by the time I got to my goal. I still need to use MFP so that I know I'm eating the correct amount of food. I'm planning to track for a year or so until I can internalized what the correct amount feels like.

Doesn't matter how hardcore you get if you can't come up with something you can live with.