Do you ever call in sick when your not?

Options
I just wanted to know if there were other people out there that called in sick every now and again when they weren't really sick?
I'll admit I have done it on occasions. Times when I've felt really crappy but probably still have gone in to work or when I've had a rental inspection and wanted the day before off the clean everything up but forgot to book it for annual leave?
99% of the time I feel a bit guilty. But I can't actually take time off for a holiday because there's no one to cover my work.

Does anyone else do it and do you feel ok doing it once in a blue moon?

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I just did it yesterday.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I just did it yesterday.

Me too. Doesn't everyone?
  • lisapisa1
    lisapisa1 Posts: 115
    Options
    I just don't have it in me to take a day off unless I'm actually sick. Even when I'm sick I try to work that day and request the next day off so I don't have to call out. I hate the people at my work who call out and when everyone knows they aren't sick. They abuse the system and make other people look bad when they really do have to call out for valid reasons.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ive done it
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Let's just say my boss does it because he said we don't get paid for the excessive sick leaves. =P
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Kind of.

Called off Tuesday because I was sick of work!
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    More often that actually being sick... though a lot of those were probably substance related :p
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    I honestly have a really hard time calling in sick, even if I am sick. I always worry they will think I'm lying and being lazy.
    When I was a child I would fake being well when I was sick so I could still go to school.
    I'm odd. I wish I was capable of it though.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Yea, but only a few times over the years. I hate calling in, I even work sick most the time.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I did it all the time at my old job! only about 25% of my 'sick days' i was legitimately sick!

I love my new job, and it really hurts everyone else if someone were to call in--so even if I was sick, I'd probably suck it up!
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    If i have to call in and I am not sick, it's usually called a "personal day"
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I thought of it as a rite of passage into the workforce to do this at least ONCE in your life.

I personally don't, but I have when I hated my job. Now I'm at a job that depends on my input so when I'm at home I'm usually working online when I can. That's the thing with IT - can't escape from it. Especially if it's all virtualised - you literally have no excuse anyway lol.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I did it many times before in my old jobs but now I can't because my immediate superior happens to be a Director & is the son of the CEO.
  • lyxus
    lyxus Posts: 85
    Options
    I don't - It's a privilege that will be taken from us if we abuse from it !
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Never! I can't abide working beside people who call in sick when they're not. Just puts extra pressure on their co workers and costs the employer financially.
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    not too often, but when I do call out its usally a mental break needed, i'm sick of something : )
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Never.

My work is small, if one of us is away it makes it a lot harder for everyone else. We like each other (mostly) even though we don't always like our job, so calling in sick knowing you are adding stress to someone (who you actually like and respect) just isn't kosher in my books.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Rarely, but I have.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I did, when I actually started to pay bills and actually need my job, then I stopped. I get vacation time, so I'll just use those days spread out rather than all at once.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Being a parent - no. I can't rest even when I am really sick (temp 39, throwing up) I still have to do the school run, all the cooking, all the housework. I don't get sick days. Ever.