Do you ever call in sick when your not?

Options

Replies

• GlitterGoldJem
    GlitterGoldJem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did at my job when I was in college but they were always class related. I was good friends with my boss so I would end up telling him why I called off and he was always cool with it. I'm not kissing my own butt but I'm an excellent employee so when you're honest with your boss they don't mind you taking a break for a day. My current job I love too much to miss. We are all super close and we all know when we are taking a day off just because we need a break or to do something fun, so never no need to take a non-sick "sick" day, we just take off and let each other know the day before.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    of course when my kids are sick!
    of course my very first job i was a shift manager at mcdonalds(16 years old might i add) and tried to come in for about the 17th straight day of working and had to leave bc I had the flu
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I have only once. I know a lot of people in the company I work for abuse it, they always seem to get sick either at the beginning of their days off or at the end.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i have before ... you gotta do what you gotta do ... plus my judgement is never good when a female is involved :laugh:

guilt nope but I did stay late and come in on sat to make up for it sometimes
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    That's the time I prefer to call in sick. They are called MENTAL HEALTH DAYS.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Sometimes companies policy forces you to call in sick when you're not. As an example, my (soon to be former) employer has a policy that you cannot take a personal day without three days advanced notice. You can, however, call in sick on the same day. So when things come up suddenly... you pretty much have no choice.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I honestly have a really hard time calling in sick, even if I am sick. I always worry they will think I'm lying and being lazy.
    When I was a child I would fake being well when I was sick so I could still go to school.
    I'm odd. I wish I was capable of it though.

Same here, I only call out sick 1-2 times a year and when I do I am really sick and am stuck in bed or at the doctor's office.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't skip class when I'm sick.
    If I'm suffering from illness - and the class sucks.. I may as well double suffer.

If I'm gonna take time off I may as well enjoy it!
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    I sometimes add an additional day when I've been out sick for a few days. I may not be sick anymore, but just can't manage to get out of my jammies. I take mental health days every now and then, but I typically schedule them a week or so in advance knowing that I'll need a day off.
  • vlsalvaggio
    Options
    I am debating wether or not to call in "sick" friday. i just feel burnt and tired. and all my other coworkers or out here and there and im the one that is always here and does everything. when im at this point with my job i dont feel guilty for calling out cause i feel over worked and taking advantage of. and i hate feeling like this!!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, they're called "Mental Health Days!"

Of course they shouldn't be abused by my company is ok w/ 5 personal/sick days out of the year (on top of vacation time). I've taken 1 this year due to going a bit too hard the night before w/ a mixture of a ridiculous week w/ no sleep and crazy exercise!

I also participate in "Mental Health Days"... And usually it's because of exhaustion. Heavy workout the day before --- unable to get to sleep at a decent hour --- and inability to open my eyes and crawl out of bed at 5:30am... or at least half a day of mental health awareness. :)
  • mcarden86
    mcarden86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have before, although not as of late. The job I am at is fun, and I just don't have any reason to call in just because. Plus I've used up most of my sick/vacation time because I have a son that has a habit of getting hurt, and so the ER and I are on good terms!!!

But if I had the time to burn, and the day was nice, heck yeah, I'd do it in a minute.
  • eawilkrsn
    eawilkrsn Posts: 43
    Options
    yes, call it a mental health day. just a day for "me" to relax and do whatever i want. especially when the weather is great!!! and NO i don't feel the least bit guilty about it. i say GO FOR IT!
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    Options
    definately!!
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    I did once, so i could go shopping, next day i was actually ill and had to go to work lol
    needless to say i dont do it anymore.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I was once told that being "sick of working" counted as being sick.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nope never. Took a sick day 10 years ago when I could not crawl out of bed.
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Never have
  • damerdar
    damerdar Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do it, but I'm a cliche poor college student and my internship doesn't pay for sick days :frown: