Food Diary Snooping... OR Why is your diary CLOSED?!

Options

Replies

• nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends because it just gives me a nudge when I'm making bad decisions. That said, I still have bad days but there's no point lying to myself so I may as well log it and wait for the abuse

I also love looking at other peoples diaries as it gives me meal ideas. Anyway, my diet is so boring if someone wants to snoop they can feel free. I see it as my way of helping the insomniacs of the world :laugh:
  • Patty_Petz
    Options
    My diary is currently password protected, but reading the posts and the insecurities in why diaries were closed hit really close to home and there are a lot of the same reasons for me that my diary is basically closed - uncomforatble with food choices, more bad days than good, not confident enough in myself to share that part of me.

I came to MFP for support (the good and the bad), and by closing off my diary, I realize that I am not taking full advantage of this support. So, I have changed the status of my diary to be open.

enjoy - :flowerforyou:
  • trolkeeper
    trolkeeper Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    mine is open. I also like to browse the diarys of people who have lost and also to get some new food ideas. I thought that was one of the perks of this program. It is a learning experience for me.:wink:
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. It was closed because I didn't realise I could make it public.... Or maybe I did know and forgot. I don't know anymore. lol
  • PineappleMartini
    PineappleMartini Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only and I've only recently made it that way. At first I was afraid of doing that and I was afraid I wouldn't track my crap foods, but I am.

The reason opened my diary though is because one of my new friends had her diary open and I saw that she isn't perfect. It seems like we all think we can only put out our perfect front since we're all in the same dieting community. God knows that when I've worked a 12-hour day that the last thing I want to do is go home and cook. Take last night for example. I stopped at Chick-Fil-A and I got a full on meal - and it was heaven.

After reading this and commenting on it, I think I'm going to open my diary up to the public. I don't get any feedback with it open to friends only. Honestly, I only look at someone's food diary when I'm bored so it's not an often habit.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I never look at peoples food diary I just discovered the settings last night. I just wonder where people are from.
    Lets face it we are on here for the same reason young or old. We share a lot of the same problems as women.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    My diary is Open to Friends. Although I do have some questionable entries every now and then, no one has ever made me feel bad. Most of the time they joke about the liquor or tons of coffee.. but nothing offensive. And honestly, if they were really rude, I wouldn't really care. The delete button is alive and well.

Food used to be a personal thing for me (and sometimes, still is). I would eat in private and my diary started Closed. But as I have changed my mindset, I have opened my diary and I am not afraid to log that candy I gobbled down. I make mistakes - I am human. Yeah, I don't hit my calorie goal everyday, yeah I eat junk every so often, but I am logging. I know I am accountable to MFP for every single thing that goes in my mouth (hahah umm not EVERY.. nevermind.). You get the picture. I keep supportive friends on MFP that will give me a good dose of reality if I need/deserve it and I appreciate that.

Food is not my dirty little secret anymore (I have eaten a candy bar in the restroom before out of sheer shame... dirty secret? Yeah, it was bad!). I need help and that is why I am here!

ETA: I do peep my friends diaries to get ideas. I often tell them "good work" if the diary is exceptional. I do poke at them for eating 2 whole pizzas in one day. But, it is in good support, never rude or mean. I whole-heartedly expect the same love from my own friends on here.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends, but I may close it. Since this site s open and searchable on Google, that changes everything to me. I hate that.
  • cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love looking at public diaries! But I keep mine closed. I feel if I made mine public, I would increase the chance that I would omit certain foods due to shame. I want to log everything I eat, even if it's bad, so I keep it private.
  • trababes1971
    trababes1971 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I havnt really seen any weird things in other peoples diaries, but i do sometimes think "oh that sounds nice"..and wish i was as imagiative;) My diary is open as i have nothing to hide and you can see really its pretty boring mine ha! And i like sugary things. But i am slowly trying to be more healthy.. i mean once over i would never dream of having yoghurt and fruit for breakfast.. but this morning i did lol. xx
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open. So far no one's criticized my choices (and I have made some that were less than stellar). I'm adult, I'm responsible for what I eat and drink. While I welcome suggestions and constructive criticism, I won't tolerate anyone being negative.

As for weird foods, I don't think I've had anything unusual.
    ^^This.

I keep mine completely public because I really don't care what people think about me regarding the food I eat. Some days I eat really well. Other days not so much. I have, however, took away some great ideas from other diaries as far as healthy meals and such.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    :huh: Mine is public because I look at the diaries of others. I eat interesting stuff!

I think people whose diaries are CLOSED truly have some nerve to look at people's OPEN diaries, especially those who gripe about it!
  • Lauraaaa88
    Options
    Mines open. I'll admit I'm not the best when it comes to my diet but I'm honest about it and I believe that its about everything in moderation. I don't think you should eliminate things from your diet, just learn to be a bit stricter on yourself.
  • vanessaleigh818
    Options
    I guess I never pay much attention. Mine is closed because I KNOW I eat weird foods or too much of one thing or the other and me seeing it and logging it for myself is as much scrutiny as I can handle haha.

Haha! So true. But I have decided to keep mine open, but just to friends. I have found on days when I wasn't happy with what I did, and I submitted to cravings, or too much snacking, all documented, Friends have been awesome about pointing out what I did RIGHT! That is pretty awesome.

I also like seeing what other folks are eating. I eat pretty traditionally, 3 meals and snacks. Other people besides clever names, make some amazing concoctions, but also some killer recipes! All in all, I think it's helpful.
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open.

I enjoy looking at ideas that other people have in their diaries for meals, and if I can reciprocate that with my food log, then I'm more than happy to.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and almost all of my friends diaries are open. I am so curious about what other people eat. I have gotten so many great ideas from looking at other people's diaries!
  • TerrJohns
    TerrJohns Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like to look at public diaries for ideas of things or meals that I may have not tried * People having items that you'd (maybe just I) would only think of having for lunch/dinner, for breakfast instead * Mine is open at this time to friends * If one feels that a person is going to scrutinized or belittle you instead of supporting you then maybe they should not be in that circle of support * I'd only comment on ones entries of over endulgence or selections in their diary if asked * By the way, always looking for ideas/ suggestions * My usual vegetables: Broccoli, Green Beans, Spinach and Brussel Sprouts are wearing thin, please suggest *
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    I have mine set to open - because it really makes me question "Do you want to eat this, when you know people will see?"

I haven't seen anything weird - but I get some good ideas for things to eat from others diaries - and I even discovered a product I never knew existed from a friend's diary, that I use all the time!
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed.... because this isn't a peep show. :tongue:
  • Flemstica
    Flemstica Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I love reading others food diaries but I don't consider it snooping. If you didn't want me to look then you would keep it closed! Mine is open and I must have really nice friends because I eat weird stuff, unhealthy stuff, I drink too much alcohal and go over on my calories often but no one ever says anything negative to me ;-D And I would never dream of saying something critical about what some one ate. We're all a work in progress here right? I'm trying the best I can and you are too!