Views on America

Options
I'm always hearing that other countries hate America. If they do, I'm not going to argue, because America does need to mind their own business sometimes. But, I live here, I love it, wouldn't live anywhere else.

Here's a rare opportunity for me to listen to other people's (from other countries) views on America.
So, what do you think?

No wrong answers here, ready to listen!
Americans can chime in too!!

Replies

• gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love the States, but their military interventions in places where they have no business being (Iraq, Afghanistan, tons of bases all around the world) rub a lot of people (including me) the wrong way.
    For some reason most of the wars the USA wages to "bring democracy" seem to be located in places where there's a lot of oil in the ground.
  • kirstand
    kirstand Posts: 76
    Options
    i cant say i hate it...ive never been there to judge! but my son loves the Miami Heat and just about every other American professional sport...sorry, gone off topic 8)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    funny-pictures-cat-has-an-idea-that-this-will-not-end-well.jpg
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian, and I have quite a few American friends (irl)... I love them, they are beautiful, smart, funny, and always awesome fun to go out with!

And I'm not going to make any generalizations about the whole of America, as anything I would say would pretty much be just a few stereotypes of what some people think about Americans, and is not generally true. Like 'all Australians do is drink pi**' which is only kinda true haha!
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    I'm Australian, and I have quite a few American friends (irl)... I love them, they are beautiful, smart, funny, and always awesome fun to go out with!

And I'm not going to make any generalizations about the whole of America, as anything I would say would pretty much be just a few stereotypes of what some people think about Americans, and is not generally true. Like 'all Australians do is drink pi**' which is only kinda true haha!

Drink Pi ss? HUH? I never made THAT stereotype!!
  • D446
    Options

It means alcohol! I'm sorry haha! I should probably change it before everyone thinks we drink our own urine
  • jaydubbayu
    Options

It means alcohol! I'm sorry haha! I should probably change it before everyone thinks we drink our own urine

Nah people will see this correction, good enough! Ha ha I've never heard alcohol called that before... I've heard people say "I got pissed drunk", see I'm learning things from this thread already!
    BTW, the only Aussies I ever hung out with, I got pissed drunk with them!! Ha ha!
  • jankleberry
    jankleberry Posts: 508
    Options
    I'm from Scotland and I love America. Have only been to Washington though.
  • D446
    Options
    Yeah, we call it a heap of different things. And we do call it pissed, if you get drunk, which is probably where it comes from.
  • jaydubbayu
    Options
    Well, beer makes you piss, so I can see where it comes from!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

our craft and microbrew beer has gotten better. unfortunatly, people still think all we do is drink coors light and budweiser. i won't touch that stuff.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    There's wonderful and hideous people in every country....We can't generalise about one - it would be wrong.
    I'm Australian and have met some lovely people on Mfp from all over the world.
    They all have their own charms!
  • jaydubbayu
    Options
    Yeah I'm a Yuengling guy myself. Just became available in Ohio about 6 months ago. BOMB!!
  • TaniaMcCormick
    TaniaMcCormick Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No hard feelings over here :P I want to visit America some day!
  • CShepherd91
    Options
    I have a lot of friends in America. I love them to bits. As individuals they're amazing women.

But, err... (damn it, I hope I don't offend anyone right now) monitoring your political situation scares me so bad. Religion has no place in politics and I'm fortunate to live in a country which has separated Church and State.

I just can't get over that you don't have Universal Healthcare.
    I can't get over the abortion bill in Virginia.
    I can't get over the fact that the bill to allow employers to pick and choose what healthcare to cover only marginally got kicked out (we're talking like 4 votes between them).
    I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue.
    And although I love Barack Obama, I can't get over the fact that your President acts more like a celebrity than he does as a ruler of a country.

But your people. I love your people. For the most part. Everywhere has bad eggs. Just your politics I cannot abide.
  • jaydubbayu
    Options

But, err... (damn it, I hope I don't offend anyone right now) monitoring your political situation scares me so bad. Religion has no place in politics and I'm fortunate to live in a country which has separated Church and State.

You can't even SAY something like that over here... I FULLY agree with you though!! People are just CLAWING to hold on to this concept.. It's going out of the window with so many people but the politicians are holding onto it like a baby blanket!!! Religion and politics shouldn't mix!!!
  • Kymmu
    Options
    ^^^ so well said and so true! How can such wonderful people allow these things to happen?
  • jaydubbayu
    Options
    ^^^ so well said and so true! How can such wonderful people allow these things to happen?

The freeminded individuals have no one to vote for.
  • Kymmu
    Options
    It's getting harder to find someone to vote for here too- but the scenarios are not as drastic!
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Ut oh

smileyvault-popcorn.gif