Views on America

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna steer clear of this one - a lot of the Americans are giving the typical stereotype views they have.

Lets just say America needs to remember it's a little part of the world - not THE world.
    I never got that from any of these posts.

I did, but then I guess as an 'outsider' the stereotypes are just easier to identify? Not the majority of the thread mind, but there are quite a few posts which made me chuckle :smile:

Though there is a disappointing lack of 'yeeeehawwww's in this thread :grumble: Come on y'all, lets crack out all the stereotypes while we're at it!

Let me run home and grab my cowboy boots and hat, I need to wear them while I go get a bald eagle wrapped in an American flag tattooed on my bicep! Just gotta make sure I have my rifle first, never know who you might come across on the way to the tattoo parlor! Now where's my moonshine...
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna steer clear of this one - a lot of the Americans are giving the typical stereotype views they have.

Lets just say America needs to remember it's a little part of the world - not THE world.

While we may be a nation in a larger world, we've done more than any other country in the last 200+ years to ensure the freedom and lives of just about everyone on this planet. Others may not like hearing it we've brought more innovation and inventions to the world to save lives and improve standards of living, and have done more to squelch and eliminate threats to all people.

I'm sure we can all agree that if it weren't for America entering the war in WW2 pretty much all of Europe would still be under Nazi rule, and all of SE Asia and Australia would be under Japanese control.

Let's not forget that America gives out more foreign aid money to more nations than anyone else. It's easy to forget that.

My personal opinion is that America should pull back. Get out of Afghanistan, Iraq, S. Korea, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc. etc. etc. Cut all foreign aid to all nations and concentrate on improving our own society, and lowering taxes for all of our citizens. Boost manufacuring so we don't have to import as much, and then adopt a no tolerance policy for attacks on our nation.

Let's see how the world gets on then :laugh: :tongue:

Booooooom and we have a winner. How many stereotypes can we fit in one post?

I can't defend this one. lol THis topic should get real interesting now.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

While we may be a nation in a larger world, we've done more than any other country in the last 200+ years to ensure the freedom and lives of just about everyone on this planet. Others may not like hearing it we've brought more innovation and inventions to the world to save lives and improve standards of living, and have done more to squelch and eliminate threats to all people.

I'm sure we can all agree that if it weren't for America entering the war in WW2 pretty much all of Europe would still be under Nazi rule, and all of SE Asia and Australia would be under Japanese control.

Let's not forget that America gives out more foreign aid money to more nations than anyone else. It's easy to forget that.

My personal opinion is that America should pull back. Get out of Afghanistan, Iraq, S. Korea, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc. etc. etc. Cut all foreign aid to all nations and concentrate on improving our own society, and lowering taxes for all of our citizens. Boost manufacuring so we don't have to import as much, and then adopt a no tolerance policy for attacks on our nation.

Let's see how the world gets on then :laugh: :tongue:

Booooooom and we have a winner. How many stereotypes can we fit in one post?

Hrm, I don't see any sterotypes, I just see facts. If you want sterotypes I could give them to you. I've travelled extensively and love many nations for their own unique traits, everybody just loves to hate on America for being what we are though.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian, and I have quite a few American friends (irl)... I love them, they are beautiful, smart, funny, and always awesome fun to go out with!

And I'm not going to make any generalizations about the whole of America, as anything I would say would pretty much be just a few stereotypes of what some people think about Americans, and is not generally true. Like 'all Australians do is drink pi**' which is only kinda true haha!

Drink Pi ss? HUH? I never made THAT stereotype!!

It means alcohol! I'm sorry haha! I should probably change it before everyone thinks we drink our own urine

I love this! And I totally read it in my head in an Australian accent.

WAIT--- Is Bear Grylls Australian??? I thought he was English! Lol
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Religion has no place in politics and I'm fortunate to live in a country which has separated Church and State.

I just can't get over that you don't have Universal Healthcare.
    I can't get over the abortion bill in Virginia.
    I can't get over the fact that the bill to allow employers to pick and choose what healthcare to cover only marginally got kicked out (we're talking like 4 votes between them).
    I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue.

But your people. I love your people. For the most part. Everywhere has bad eggs. Just your politics I cannot abide.

Agree.
  • Apa93
    Apa93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think the education system over there needs to be a lot better and they need to increase the opportunities available for the lower classes; a university education is practically unreachable. If I were living in the US I would be screwed because I come from a very working class background and in a country as developed as America I don't think that's right. The overflowing prisons and gang culture speak for themselves in regards to the quality of the education system and what help there is (or lack of it.)
    I also think that creationism should be COMPLETELY BANNED and that the US should be made into a religion-neutral country, as the founders intended it to be. I don't think Christianity should be taught as the "main" religion. I think religions of all kinds should be taught but not as fact and that no-one should have to choose.
    Abstinence should not in any way be taught. It's just stupidity beyond words. Proper contraception and safe sex should be an education available to all. Again, this ties in with Christianity and, frankly, some of its teachings are outdated and idiotic, especially in regards to contraception and abortion. People need to realise that teenagers are going to have sex and the best thing to do about it is to just educate them properly so that accidents don't happen and if they do they can be taken care of.

I could go on and on but I get that most of the MFP is American and I'm and Atheist and detest religion of all kinds so the react probably wouldn't be very kind...
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm an American.

I think the life goals of most people, in most countries, are the same. Be able to live a comfortable life and be happy. Very simple. It's when the governments get involved. Then the simple goals of most people are compromised. Other than that, I think some people from "western' civilizations are spoiled and expect to be catered to. I have news for them. The world isn't waiting to be blessed with your presence.

Without government regulation, how will people ensure that their families have clean water, safe working conditions, sufficient food and medical care, and good housing in order to have that comfortable life?

It's a serious question, I'm not mocking you, by the way. I simply know of no alternative to regulation that works or has ever worked.

I understand how the government should make sure we have clear water, an outbreak of contamination could cause massive death but where does it say that people should have food, housing, medical care and comfortable life?

If you give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he can feed HIMSELF for a lifetime. Right now lots of people just want a fish, and the government wants to make everyone pay for that fish...

I am what would be considered "poor" but I sympathsize for the upper class sometimes. If you work hard and make something of your life, the government punishes you to support people who are either in bad situations or just plain chose NOT to work hard.

Interesting. I have some relatives who are dyed in the wool conservatives as are some friends. But when it came time for the government to help, they were happy to apply for the Social Security widow's and children's benefit and SSI, respectively.

They will still vote conservative because they believe OTHER people are not contributing. Meanwhile, even the working poor without health insurance contribute part of their paycheck for Medicare and Medicaid, even when they're not eligible. My late mother's husband served in the military (as did my husband). Because he retired from a comfy desk job in uniform, he had lifetime healthcare and never paid a dime. He's an old man now, and he still receives FREE everything. Yes he served, but we are all supporting this. And, he has a large pension from military and social security, to the tune of 100k a year. Not bad for a job he could never really be fired from, right? And, that never really put him in harm's way, with the exception of a few months in WWII.

On another note, I think the people who game and cheat the system are wrong, but at the same time, there's a lot of more cheating and gaming going on in the upper echelons and corporate boardrooms.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Are there no maps of the world in American class rooms?
    No. We do not believe in having maps of places outside of the United States in any of our classrooms. :huh:

It is a funny stereotype, but I've met a few US citizens (in Iowa) that genuinely thought Alaska was an island near Hawaii because on the TV weather channel it always showed them both in a box to better fit the TV screen!

Before I offer a reply to the OP on the topic, I just want to say that it isn't just in Iowa--I know people...kids and adults alike...who think this, as well!! I've seen adults looking on a globe at Hawaii, then wondering why Alaska isn't right next to it. It really boggles my mind! Sadly I think I know more people who think that's where Alaska is than don't...
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Really? I have read this entire thread and there is very little of Americans giving typical stereotype views of others.

You sure you didn't just read one page and found one post like that and just assumed?

I didn't find that either.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I think the education system over there needs to be a lot better and they need to increase the opportunities available for the lower classes; a university education is practically unreachable. If I were living in the US I would be screwed because I come from a very working class background and in a country as developed as America I don't think that's right. The overflowing prisons and gang culture speak for themselves in regards to the quality of the education system and what help there is (or lack of it.)

A university education is actually quite attainable, and rapidly becoming worthless. Grad school is what is difficult to obtain access to and funds for.

Also, even if every American had a graduate degree, there aren't enough jobs that require them. The real issue isn't educational opportunities, it's the treatment of workers in all jobs. Even unskilled workers deserve a decent standard of living, but because the minimum wage is not a living wage, because so many jobs have been outsourced, and because services for those in need are not readily available, most unskilled workers live very precarious lives. Providing for all instead of for an elite few is where our society fails.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Dear people who keep saying how they are glad to live in the US because its free...wake up people, loads of countries are free, most of them in fact,. I get the same if not more freedoms than you, apart from the gun thing and my freedom of speech is curtailed in one respect, hate speech is not legal here, but I don't want to spout a lot of violent racist drivel so don't look on it as an issue, I am not so afraid that I feel the need to own a gun to defend myself from criminals or my democratically elected Government, The whole land of the free thing is where you fall down, its free in Europe, free in Australia, free in Canada...people are not all living in tyranny on the rest of the planet...most places are nice, the people are free to vote, free to do what they want when they want..''merca does not have the monopoly on that, you are just sold it like you do.
  • Elizabeth0913
    Options
    bump
  • Sascha
    Sascha Posts: 204
    Options
    Hey folks! While we all enjoy a good debate, some topics are better left for private messages, groups or outside MFP all together.

Please keep in mind this guideline while contributing to the post: No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

Thanks for your understanding-
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Without government regulation, how will people ensure that their families have clean water, safe working conditions, sufficient food and medical care, and good housing in order to have that comfortable life?

I'll try to remember this while watching the next Kitchen Nightmares.
    By that logic every walk-in would be spotless, with no moldy food! :tongue:
    I think word of mouth works pretty good now days, since Al Gore invented
    the internet.

howfair.jpg

The gun law worked out pretty good in Kennesaw, Georgia.

In 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-21]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.
    (b)Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

Gun rights activist David Kopel has claimed that there is evidence that this gun law has reduced the incident rate of home burglaries citing that in the first year, home burglaries dropped from 65 before the ordinance, down to 26 in 1983, and to 11 in 1984. Another report observed a noticeable reduction in burglary from 1981, the year before the ordinance was passed, to 1999.

Statistical analysis of [the] data over a longer period of time did not show any evidence that [the law] reduced the rate of home burglaries [in Kennesaw.] However, the overall crime rate has decreased by more than 50% since the law was put into affect according to statistics from 2005.

The city's website claims the city has the lowest crime rate in the county.

THIS^^

Just make sure when defending your home to shoot any intruders dead, as we all know the liberals in the country allow burglars to sue and WIN for injuries sustained while committing crimes.
  • TheWinman
    Options
    Hey folks! While we all enjoy a good debate, some topics are better left for private messages, groups or outside MFP all together.

Please keep in mind this guideline while contributing to the post: No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

Thanks for your understanding-

I don't know if you have read the entire thread, but for the most part this has been a very civil and educational debate. IMO Please keep it open.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm not really afraid of anything in my daily life. You know, except tornadoes or scorpions or rattlesnakes...normal things to be afraid of in my part of the country :)
    Tornadoes scare me too so unpredictable
    Hurricanes, too! They scare me because I'm so close to the Gulf of Mexico. See how frightening it can be to live in the USA?

earthquakes....im in so cal
    Then we agree. The USA is a scary place to live!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Unfortunately these all are not just unique to the U.S.
  • carrie1013
    carrie1013 Posts: 129
    Options
    I also think that creationism should be COMPLETELY BANNED and that the US should be made into a religion-neutral country, as the founders intended it to be. I don't think Christianity should be taught as the "main" religion. I think religions of all kinds should be taught but not as fact and that no-one should have to choose.
    Abstinence should not in any way be taught. It's just stupidity beyond words. Proper contraception and safe sex should be an education available to all. Again, this ties in with Christianity and, frankly, some of its teachings are outdated and idiotic, especially in regards to contraception and abortion. People need to realise that teenagers are going to have sex and the best thing to do about it is to just educate them properly so that accidents don't happen and if they do they can be taken care of.

I could go on and on but I get that most of the MFP is American and I'm and Atheist and detest religion of all kinds so the react probably wouldn't be very kind...

Wow! Your opinions are so sad, and sound very UNeducated
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    funny-3.jpg
  • Apa93
    Apa93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

A university education is actually quite attainable, and rapidly becoming worthless. Grad school is what is difficult to obtain access to and funds for.

Also, even if every American had a graduate degree, there aren't enough jobs that require them. The real issue isn't educational opportunities, it's the treatment of workers in all jobs. Even unskilled workers deserve a decent standard of living, but because the minimum wage is not a living wage, because so many jobs have been outsourced, and because services for those in need are not readily available, most unskilled workers live very precarious lives. Providing for all instead of for an elite few is where our society fails.

I don't just mean university, I mean both higher and further education. It seems to be either you have a degree or nothing; there is no middle ground. We have ex-polytechnics and further educational colleges all over the UK and you get full funding over here so there's no money to pay whatsoever. The quality of the student loans over there just aren't up to par. My friend went to university in the US and she asked for assistance with funding and they told her to go to a loan shark. We don't even have those over here in the first place and I really think that is testament to the quality of the student loans systems and also just funding for poorer people in general.
  • TheWinman
    Options
    bump