Views on America

Options

Replies

• TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I also hate some people's attitudes towards different languages. Why is it that our children are not taught a second language from a small age. My daughter is 5 and she is learning French because her father speaks it. People act like it's dirty. They get pissed that they have to press 1 for English. lol

I think US citizens should learn 2 languages (husband is a Spanish professor) But, we are in the US. So, we should not have to push 1 for English.

When I lived in Panama and I had to get permission to stay longer, no one in that office spoke English. They all spoke Spanish. Thank goodness I had my husband!! haha! But, I did not fuss or complain, I was in their country and their national language is Spanish. I either needed to learn it or go everywhere with DH!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

As for guns, we shall agree to disagree, I hope. I'm with my rightwing brothers and sisters on this one, if nothing else. When the police and military are fighting with batons, we'll give up our guns, too. Not that it doesn't cause problems for us, because it does. And many of those brothers and sisters of mine don't need to be toting guns, and they feel the same way about me!

Catch-22. Your police have guns, so you want guns, fair enough. I wouldn't expect our police to start carrying guns either, so for me, the best result would be neither side having guns. Works well enough in most other countries. I just don't see a need for them.

It's a difficult issue. But if an order went out today that everyone must turn in their weapons, yesterday would have been a good day to leave. Because if that order ever goes out, or if the police and military go house to house retrieving those guns, it will not be because some neighborhood watch idiot shot someone instead of doing what the police told him to do. It will be because the country has totally collapsed to the point of martial law.
  • TorridSkies4
    Options
    I live in America, and frankly I hate living here.

I work my butt off monday through friday for pay that barely covers my bills and groceries.
    I go to college monday through thursday nights, for which I pay out of pocket for. (yes full time school and work leaves me tired all the time!)
    I don't have any health insurance, so I just try to keep myself as healthy as possible.
    I only get 1 week, yes 1 week of vacation a year - and it's not even paid vacation.
    The political system scares the *kitten* out of me.
    And the way people here view the gay community, and people of other cultures/skin color/etc is just horrific.

The boyfriend and I are just trying to get through college, and then we're looking to gain citizenship elsewhere and get out of here!

Unlike some countries in this world...you are free to leave anytime. Cuba might work for you...free healthcare as long as you mind standing in line for your groceries.

You're such a ****.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm British.

American's focus on the constitution like it's some divine document and this prevents your progress. The most developed legal systems in the world do not have a constitution.

Most governments have a constitution but it may not be called The Constitution. It is the series of rules and laws by which a nation is ruled.

The UK has the Acts of Parliament as one of the corner stones of their constitutional infrastructure.

But having it enshrined in one document makes it extremely inflexible. We can change our Acts, it seems trying to change the US Constitution is akin to blasphemy.
  • Tracey0013
    Tracey0013 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Like every place in the world their are the ones that you want to slap up side the head and the ones you would welcome into your life. I have had the pleasure of meeting both types from the US. I live not 10 min from it's border but have no desire to live there. The politics, living conditions and the fear that a lot of the people from the US live in is not what I would want to be around.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have in the past been anti-American (I am Canadian) and the reason for this is that I had grown tired of "Pro Americans" shoving their American Pride down my throat at every turn. HOWEVER, after having grown wiser in my old age...lol....I no longer can say I am Anti-American but instead PRO Canadian. I wear my Canadian Pride on my sleeve loud and proud.

That being said, I still encounter many Americans who are rude and difficult to deal with but I do not paint everyone with the same generalized brush anymore. Equally, there are many Canadians who are rude and difficult to deal with.

What I think it boils down to is that while we are all individuals and should be treated as so, we as a Country, are the sum of all our parts (both good and bad).

I would however love to see the American Government adopt the policy of protecting ALL countries that should ask for help and not just those with oil etc. but I guess something is better than nothing. (I am not a supporter of war but I do wholeheartedly support the men and women that defend our countries in the name of freedom.)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I'm an American.

I think the life goals of most people, in most countries, are the same. Be able to live a comfortable life and be happy. Very simple. It's when the governments get involved. Then the simple goals of most people are compromised. Other than that, I think some people from "western' civilizations are spoiled and expect to be catered to. I have news for them. The world isn't waiting to be blessed with your presence.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I also hate some people's attitudes towards different languages. Why is it that our children are not taught a second language from a small age. My daughter is 5 and she is learning French because her father speaks it. People act like it's dirty. They get pissed that they have to press 1 for English. lol
    Not sure about the education system in PA, but here our students are required to take a foreign language. I don't know anyone who acts like "it's dirty".

We weren't required to take language until middle school and even that was laughable.

I say some people act like another language is dirty because there are people creating Facebook pages called "I live in America! I shouldn't have to press 1 for English!" or people complaining that outsourced call center reps from India don't speak perfect English and that their accents are terrible. Um, pretty sure someone who speaks English even through a heavy accent is speaking English! Plus! They know English AND their native language.
    You hear people all the time say they are uncomfortable when they hear Middle Eastern people speaking their language out in public or get pissed at the Mexicans speaking Spanish at a restaurant. I've worked in service for years and hear it all the time.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options

I think US citizens should learn 2 languages (husband is a Spanish professor) But, we are in the US. So, we should not have to push 1 for English.

When I lived in Panama and I had to get permission to stay longer, no one in that office spoke English. They all spoke Spanish. Thank goodness I had my husband!! haha! But, I did not fuss or complain, I was in their country and their national language is Spanish. I either needed to learn it or go everywhere with DH!

Exactly, english is the de facto language of this country and maybe should be the official since a vast majority speak it. I should not have to press a button on my phone to hear whatever in english. I should not have to go to the ATM and have to choose a language. I think at least 4 years of a second language should be required by all. Also, all new citizens to our country should be required to know English, not required to speak it, but have a working knowledge of the language.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I'm British.

American's focus on the constitution like it's some divine document and this prevents your progress. The most developed legal systems in the world do not have a constitution.

Most governments have a constitution but it may not be called The Constitution. It is the series of rules and laws by which a nation is ruled.

The UK has the Acts of Parliament as one of the corner stones of their constitutional infrastructure.

But having it enshrined in one document makes it extremely inflexible. We can change our Acts, it seems trying to change the US Constitution is akin to blasphemy.

That is the great US political divide. The Constitution was written as a living document to evolve with the times. But, when things begin to change too much for some people, the cries of changing the intent of the Constitution comes into play.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I work my butt off monday through friday for pay that barely covers my bills and groceries.
    I go to college monday through thursday nights, for which I pay out of pocket for. (yes full time school and work leaves me tired all the time!)
    I don't have any health insurance, so I just try to keep myself as healthy as possible.
    I only get 1 week, yes 1 week of vacation a year - and it's not even paid vacation.
    And the way people here view the gay community, and people of other cultures/skin color/etc is just horrific.

The boyfriend and I are just trying to get through college, and then we're looking to gain citizenship elsewhere and get out of here!

I would love to help you leave. Good riddance!

Sounds they just wnat everything handed to them??
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

America doesn't have an official language.
  • TorridSkies4
    Options

I would love to help you leave. Good riddance!

oh let me just get the education and them were out. My gut tells me you received a pell grant.
    BTW I get 3 weeks paid vacation and a week of sick pay. 2 personal days and lots of overtime if I like it. I get to work in an office with ac in the Texas summer and heat in the winter. I get to jump in my mercedes when I leave and drive on a gorgeous freeway paid for by the citizens of this Great State of Texas to a home that I own in a gorgeous neighborhood that my job paid for and its MINE. God Bless the USA! Oh and if I want I can throw a big *kitten* ribeye steak on my big Texas sized gas grill in my big *kitten* back yard too.

Hey, guess what? I don't get a pell grant. I don't get any kind of government assistance. I love the assumptions people make.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm French and I've been living in the US for a bit more than 18 months now.
    I'm in Alabama so what I say might not count for the rest of the country.

I've never met more lovely people than the people I met down here. I travelled quite a bit in Europe, Asia, and Africa but I can assure you that I've never felt so "at home" and "welcomed" than in the US. I am white and I have a good American accent, it might be why. But I still believe that the south as so much to offer.

There are still some things that makes me wonder what the hell I am doing here. I am living in Alabama but am far far from conservative so it sometimes is hard for me to understand how people can think like they do. I tend to think that I am ok with losing a bit of my freedom if it gives equality for all. And I know that a lot of Americans disagree. America, land of freedom.

The presidential campaign makes me cry, but so does the French one so I cannot complain.

I disagree with a lot of things but sweet tea always makes me feel better.

Thank you!!! See, we are sweet people down here! Sure, you are going to see some messed up looking people....but I assume you get that everywhere (I think) haha!

I am from Georgia and Dh is from Florida, and we do joke around...how in the world did we end up in Alabama!!!

I do love living in the South and Alabama. The weather is beautiful, the land is beautiful, and most of the people are so nice....YES, you have to wave when you drive by someone!!

And sweet tea...YUMMMM!!!!
  • AmandaK3
    AmandaK3 Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm Canadian, and I travel to the USA a couple times a year. I haven't really had a bad experience. Most people are friendly and warm and wanting to give you advice on the best things to do and see in their towns.

Although I have had bad experiences traveling in Europe and going on city tours with American tourists. At one point I had to ask a lady "why did she even bother coming to Paris if all she wanted to do was ***** about how things are so different are here". I think those were isolated incidents though since on my last trip I met a really nice couple from Philly who were really loving the differences.

The US Healthcare system scares me, so we keep our adventure travel to countries with a better system. :)

So I guess, USA as a country (in my opinion) is fun to visit but wouldn't want to live there...and for the most part Amercians are awesome. Looking forward to another visit, this time hopefully southern Cali!

As for being Canadian, I love it. There are very few places I would rather live, and those places only because of the warmer climate.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends in America. I love them to bits. As individuals they're amazing women.

But, err... (damn it, I hope I don't offend anyone right now) monitoring your political situation scares me so bad. Religion has no place in politics and I'm fortunate to live in a country which has separated Church and State.

I just can't get over that you don't have Universal Healthcare.
    I can't get over the abortion bill in Virginia.
    I can't get over the fact that the bill to allow employers to pick and choose what healthcare to cover only marginally got kicked out (we're talking like 4 votes between them).
    I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue.
    And although I love Barack Obama, I can't get over the fact that your President acts more like a celebrity than he does as a ruler of a country.

But your people. I love your people. For the most part. Everywhere has bad eggs. Just your politics I cannot abide.

Geez, it sounds as if you know more about US politics than most Americans! :laugh:

As an American, I agree with most of your points, however technically we do have a separation of Church and State (although our conservative politicians fight tooth and nail to make people forget it) and Rick Santorum has dropped out of the Presidential candidacy race to focus on his family and his disabled daughter.

But other than that, you're pretty much dead on. I feel as though people want to have it both ways. They want the freedom to say and do whatever they please---but they don't want anyone who disagrees with them to have the same freedom. Regardless of people's dramatically different views I can say and appreciate this: as an American, I have the right to say whatever I want. I have the right to believe in any religion I choose. I have the right to have whatever job I'd like to have. And although I disagree wholeheartedly with others on their ideology, I defend their right to believe and say whatever they want.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If it were easy to up and leave, I would, but it's not as easy as that...can't just pack up and move to France. Plus, my whole family is here.

I'm just grateful I live in New York City, which is fairly liberal. Most right wing religious zealots in this country are unbelievably ignorant and intolerant of anyone who is not exactly like them.

Is America the best country in the world? Oh hell no. I've spent a lot of time in Europe, and the quality of life is way, way better. Is it the worst country? No, definitely not. But for all we have...we should be a LOT more tolerant. Healthcare for EVERYONE, equal marriage rights for EVERYONE.

CHURCH AND STATE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SEPARATE!!

Soooo much judgment against people who have less than you. Do you really think most people on government assistance or scamming the system? Yes, some are, and that's not good, but the amount of people who legitimately need help outnumber those scammers. Trust me, the greedy bankers on Wall Street and the greedy politicians are a FAR FAR greater contributer to the financial crisis than illegal immigrants!!!
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Yes I've seen that film, but doesn't have a place in reality. First of all, Germany had a fractured history before the two world wars. They weren't unified until the late 1800s. Britain has long been relatively stable and peaceful, we've had no 'revolutions' as such, a short civil war. We've had hundreds of years to develop, countries in a state of flux (as Germany was) are susceptible to extremes like Hitler.
    But despite that, don't kid yourself into thinking just because the people have guns they will rise up and overthrow a corrupt government. Seems like silly reasoning.

No place in reality? What about Guy Fawke's and his gunpowder plot? I believe that was reality. He believed the government at the time to be corrupt, did he not? I know the colonies in the 1770's believed it to be corrupt. Britain's government has not always been so benevolent to it's citizens, and it seems silly to think that it (or any Western gov't) will always be that benevolent for all time. In fact, it seems like silly idealism to me. I'd rather be prepared for worst-case eventualities that to have blind faith in government. There have been a lot of revolutions throught the world in the last century where the people have rose up against a corrupt government, and those overthrows have usually been lubricated with firearms, whether internal or external. I'm generally a hippy-dippy peace loving type person, but I'm a realist in that there comes a time and place where action is required. I like Great Britain in most respects - I think it would be a "lovely" place to visit, but gun law is one thing that would stop me from taking permanent residence there.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

I despair at our school system's language programs. Even private schools tend to neglect it. It isn't fair to Americans, either. Aprender una lengua secondaria cuando una persona es un adulto es terible porque cuando este pobre persona ensaya aprender la lengua, ella habla y escribe como este!

There is a very small window for becoming fluent in a second language. It happens young, or it generally doesn't happen.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the education system in PA, but here our students are required to take a foreign language. I don't know anyone who acts like "it's dirty".

I speak 2 languages and most of my education was in Virginia.