Views on America

Options

Replies

• tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    No need for guns. Someone mentioned this was to 'overthrow' a tyrannical government and gave some stupid example of the Holocaust. We don't have guns and our government has never rounded us up.

Are you kidding?! I want to get a gun so I can be prepared for the zombie takeover!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    how about some Mi Tierra's? mmmmm!
    Was there this past weekend! Fuynny how some people think that having Texas Pride means forgetting that part of our land was once Mexico. We take great pride in our Mexican heritage here, too.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    We are not perfect all you have to do is look at the government assisstance programs and how easy it is to get this assisstance in many states and to live off of it. All you have to do is walk into any grocery store at the beginning of the month where I live and watch people fill their carts pay with a benefit card then walk outside and load their groceries in a new vehicle. Or buy steaks for their dogs because dog food is not covered (True story I was behind this in line one time) . It just shows how easy governments can be manipulated.

Seen this too many times in line, I have my cart filled with generic food. The lady in front of me buys food with her money. Then does a separate purchase of name brand name juices and bread using her WIC card. Or, they buy their food with Food Stamps. Then a separate purchase by cigarettes with their own money. Or paying for their food with Food Stamp, meanwhile they and their kids have smart phones and I have a crap phone and I paying for all of my generic label food for my family of 8!!

Let me play devil's advocate. I'm not talking about government assistance lifer's. How do you know the person you see paying their food with food stamps has not just recently lost their job and are struggling at the present time. They already owned a nice car, the kids already had smart phones etc... They need temporary assistance to get them through a tough time period. We already know how terrible many Americans are in saving money. :) . Are they suppose to sell everything they own immediately? Let's say they got a another nice paying job within a couple of months, they still have the car, the phones etc.... You may be surprised how many people use government assistance in a the way that it was intended, for short term temporary relief.

I do not mind our government helping people out temporarily! In fact, as a wealthy and compassionate country, we should do this. And you are right, I do not know if this is a temporary situation.

But, when my kids were in the public school, there were kids at my sons' school that receive and have always received free breakfast and lunch and they had cell phones when my kids did not and they wore expensive clothes. I remember one of my sons asking how come I packed their lunch when other kids got the nicer food for free. (The school had a basic lunch, but you could pay more money for the yummier food). I said because their parents do not make enough money, and the boys told me that they have money for nice clothes and phones.

I agree with you that there is plenty of abuse of the system and we have to eliminate that or else there will be no assistance available in the near future. I researched government assistance available here in Illinois when I become in unemployed in case my situation ever become very serious. It would be the last thing I would ever think of doing as I'm way too proud and stubborn to ask for help, but I have kids and would have to bite the bullet and get help if needed. Here in Illinois, it seems they have some steps in place to avoid abuse. They use a link card (not food stamps) for food benefits. You can only purchase groceries, not booze, not hot meals or any other non food items. My understanding is that when your items get scanned and you pay for them with your link card, if you have any items that don't meet the criteria for benefits, you will have a balance due at checkout for those items. You either have to pay for them by other means or don't buy them.
    You do have to provide much documentation and proof of your situation, your dependents etc... You have 10 days to notify the state of any changes in income, dependent status etc.... Your case gets reviewed every 6 months.
    That being said, there are flaws galore. To fully educate myself on this I had to go through the initial process of applying for benefits. Wow, what an eye opener. I applied online but had to go into one of the offices for an interview. Five hour wait!!! The office is badly understaffed. (sickens me with the current unemployment rate) I guess since Illinois is basically broke, this would explained the badly staffed situation. While waiting I talked to many people, especially people who know the routine. 1) Any paperwork you have hand it to your case worker directly or else they will never get it, even if it means coming in and waiting another 5 hours to hand it to them. 2) Some case workers are great and will do whatever to help while others don't give a crap about you. It's all in the luck of the draw.
    So if this office is so understaffed, I assume the entire state office is understaffed and very lacking in making sure people are not abusing the system. IMO
    Once I left there I became more determined then ver to get work and fix my situation, I never want to go t that office again. :)

I have noticed 2 types of payment. One is a card, I believe that is Food Stamps, but then we have WIC (do other states have that) That is a piece of paper that they sign. And I have seen things rejected on both (like one lady got a juice that was a mixture and it had to be just one juice) I DO NOT mind people needing these services. Like you said....you needed them and could not WAIT to get off of them. That is how it should be. If you need to help, I have your back...just as you will if I need it one day.
    But, I think we get irritated at the abuses. And then when we say something, it seems like we hate the poor....that is not the case at all. We just hate the abuse. I have a police officer friend, that was trying to get disability...there was nothing wrong with him. He would be the 3rd generation on disability. He was denied...but I just did not get why he would want to be on it. Sure, he would not have to work, but all of the kids at the ball parks think he is so cool!! He has a great job! But, he was tired of working.
    I have an ER nurse friend that sees Medicaid abuse a lot. They have to keep a sharp eye because they will use each others ID to use the ER. She has people use the ER as a doctor's office (pregnancy tests, colds) these are all services that they could get at the clinic. Ya, they would have to pay the $25 co-pay, but that is not bad for seeing a DR. But, the ER is free!

We have got to figure out a way to prevent fraud in our services so we can still have these available when people truly need them!

all great points!! We could start a thread on here about the abuses of USA government assistance programs and we would have 500+ replies in 15 minutes. LOL

Our card has two uses also, the other is for cash benefits (welfare).
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    :Absolutely love America, Iv' e had some great holidays there, but I don't like your tea! neither does my American friends.
    When I visit my friends ask me to bring tons of PG Tips / Tetley tea bags..with me.....got nice coffee though :bigsmile:
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    No need for guns. Someone mentioned this was to 'overthrow' a tyrannical government and gave some stupid example of the Holocaust. We don't have guns and our government has never rounded us up.

Are you kidding?! I want to get a gun so I can be prepared for the zombie takeover!

Guns won't be of use, we need cross bows so that the sound doesn't attract more zombies. Duh.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

They likely found out he was an engineer... that's why he had to wait.. LoL... JK gotta get my digs in on engineers every chance i get! :laugh:

I'm married to an engineer and most of my friends are engineers. It's actually a great career. Great benefits. And, you get to use your brain at work.

Dig all you want.

We have 3 houses and travel the world (work hard, two full time jobs, one side business) Engineering has been very rewarding...so think of that the next time you poke fun at an engineer. They happen to be the hardest working group of people I know.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Was there this past weekend! Fuynny how some people think that having Texas Pride means forgetting that part of our land was once Mexico. We take great pride in our Mexican heritage here, too.

Si Senora! Es la verdad
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

American's focus on the constitution like it's some divine document and this prevents your progress. The most developed legal systems in the world do not have a constitution.

yeeeess!!! I am so sick of hearing people say, "But I have the right!"
    Yes, we have the right to bear arms. Guess who has the highest gun death rate probably in the entire world?
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Guns won't be of use, we need cross bows so that the sound doesn't attract more zombies. Duh.

hmph...I thought that's what the silencer was for!
  • TheDoctor90
    Options
    :Absolutely love America, Iv' e had some great holidays there, but I don't like your tea! neither does my American friends.
    When I visit my friends ask me to bring tons of PG Tips / Tetley tea bags..with me.....got nice coffee though :bigsmile:

That's another thing, American tea is terrible. Couldn't live anywhere that lacks a good brew.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I must say, I am very thankful to live in the USA, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about problems in this country. People have a right to complain about their home if they want. Sometimes they just need to vent. :flowerforyou:
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm British.
    My experience with America and American's is two fold.

American's focus on the constitution like it's some divine document and this prevents your progress. The most developed legal systems in the world do not have a constitution.

That someone may have been me. You only say never because it hasn't happened yet. Has it not happened in other countries? What makes Great Britain impervious? Have you seen "V for Vendetta"? Is that so unbelievable? No one in Germany thought that their constitutional government would be replaced by fascism before it happened during Hitler's rise to power, yet it did. Should we not learn from history? In both our countries, we have systems of checks and balances to prevent the takeover of the government by corrupt individuals, but it is not inconceivable that it could slowly happen in either country, and I, for one, would like to be able to do my part to stop it.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I must say, I am very thankful to live in the USA, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about problems in this country. People have a right to complain about their home if they want. Sometimes they just need to vent. :flowerforyou:
    Complaining while taking some action to make it a better place is fine. Complaining while saying how much one hates it and can't wait to leave is something else.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm........ BBQ........ especially with the black Kansas City type BBQ sauce, not that nasty-azz redish Carolina style sauce. ;)
    Kansas City does have some awesome BBQ sauce!

OMG. MI TIERRA'S. My mom is moving to San Antonio this summer, and I'm making sure we go to Mi Tierra's at least one a month. That place is AMAZING!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

That's another thing, American tea is terrible. Couldn't live anywhere that lacks a good brew.

You've never had http://www.smithtea.com/

Come back and say American tea is terrible after trying that. He's the dude that invented Tazo tea (and sold it to Starbucks to fund his other venture). :)
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Complaining while taking some action to make it a better place is fine. Complaining while saying how much one hates it and can't wait to leave is something else.

THIS
  • TheDoctor90
    Options

That someone may have been me. You only say never because it hasn't happened yet. Has it not happened in other countries? What makes Great Britain impervious? Have you seen "V for Vendetta"? Is that so unbelievable? No one in Germany thought that their constitutional government would be replaced by fascism before it happened during Hitler's rise to power, yet it did. Should we not learn from history? In both our countries, we have systems of checks and balances to prevent the takeover of the government by corrupt individuals, but it is not inconceivable that it could slowly happen in either country, and I, for one, would like to be able to do my part to stop it.

Yes I've seen that film, but doesn't have a place in reality. First of all, Germany had a fractured history before the two world wars. They weren't unified until the late 1800s. Britain has long been relatively stable and peaceful, we've had no 'revolutions' as such, a short civil war. We've had hundreds of years to develop, countries in a state of flux (as Germany was) are susceptible to extremes like Hitler.
    But despite that, don't kid yourself into thinking just because the people have guns they will rise up and overthrow a corrupt government. Seems like silly reasoning.
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE America and have always felt like I was born in the wrong country !! - Love most things about it - political situation/views not so but the lifestyle/ way of life love love love x
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm British.
    My experience with America and American's is two fold.
    First, the NHS is one of our greatest creations, and the fact that a developed and wealthy country like the USA can allow thousands of people to go without basic healthcare borders on the disgusting. As a future Doctor, I could never 'charge' for my services, the day the NHS does that (it'll never happen) I'm out.

However, most, if not all American's I've met have been amazing people. I love visiting the US you just need to sort a few things out.

Many Americans believe they won't get good healthcare if doctors aren't ridiculously well paid. They forget that the best doctors don't become doctors for the money. They do it to help their fellow human beings. So thank you.

I actually want to see doctors, nurses, and the guy who mops the blood off the floor be paid very well for what they do. It's the HMO execs and shareholders that need to be removed from the system. All the parasite paper pushers who make money in the medical care system despite having no medical training at all.

As for guns, we shall agree to disagree, I hope. I'm with my rightwing brothers and sisters on this one, if nothing else. When the police and military are fighting with batons, we'll give up our guns, too. Not that it doesn't cause problems for us, because it does. And many of those brothers and sisters of mine don't need to be toting guns, and they feel the same way about me!

As for our constitution, the most important part now has no power at all. The Bill of Rights is essentially dead, thanks to Obama. Every time an official says we'd like to do such and so but the constitution forbids it, that's just an excuse. They do what they like, regardless of what it says.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    We are not perfect all you have to do is look at the government assisstance programs and how easy it is to get this assisstance in many states and to live off of it. All you have to do is walk into any grocery store at the beginning of the month where I live and watch people fill their carts pay with a benefit card then walk outside and load their groceries in a new vehicle. Or buy steaks for their dogs because dog food is not covered (True story I was behind this in line one time) . It just shows how easy governments can be manipulated.

Seen this too many times in line, I have my cart filled with generic food. The lady in front of me buys food with her money. Then does a separate purchase of name brand name juices and bread using her WIC card. Or, they buy their food with Food Stamps. Then a separate purchase by cigarettes with their own money. Or paying for their food with Food Stamp, meanwhile they and their kids have smart phones and I have a crap phone and I paying for all of my generic label food for my family of 8!!

Let me play devil's advocate. I'm not talking about government assistance lifer's. How do you know the person you see paying their food with food stamps has not just recently lost their job and are struggling at the present time. They already owned a nice car, the kids already had smart phones etc... They need temporary assistance to get them through a tough time period. We already know how terrible many Americans are in saving money. :) . Are they suppose to sell everything they own immediately? Let's say they got a another nice paying job within a couple of months, they still have the car, the phones etc.... You may be surprised how many people use government assistance in a the way that it was intended, for short term temporary relief.

I do not mind our government helping people out temporarily! In fact, as a wealthy and compassionate country, we should do this. And you are right, I do not know if this is a temporary situation.

But, when my kids were in the public school, there were kids at my sons' school that receive and have always received free breakfast and lunch and they had cell phones when my kids did not and they wore expensive clothes. I remember one of my sons asking how come I packed their lunch when other kids got the nicer food for free. (The school had a basic lunch, but you could pay more money for the yummier food). I said because their parents do not make enough money, and the boys told me that they have money for nice clothes and phones.

I agree with you that there is plenty of abuse of the system and we have to eliminate that or else there will be no assistance available in the near future. I researched government assistance available here in Illinois when I become in unemployed in case my situation ever become very serious. It would be the last thing I would ever think of doing as I'm way too proud and stubborn to ask for help, but I have kids and would have to bite the bullet and get help if needed. Here in Illinois, it seems they have some steps in place to avoid abuse. They use a link card (not food stamps) for food benefits. You can only purchase groceries, not booze, not hot meals or any other non food items. My understanding is that when your items get scanned and you pay for them with your link card, if you have any items that don't meet the criteria for benefits, you will have a balance due at checkout for those items. You either have to pay for them by other means or don't buy them.
    You do have to provide much documentation and proof of your situation, your dependents etc... You have 10 days to notify the state of any changes in income, dependent status etc.... Your case gets reviewed every 6 months.
    That being said, there are flaws galore. To fully educate myself on this I had to go through the initial process of applying for benefits. Wow, what an eye opener. I applied online but had to go into one of the offices for an interview. Five hour wait!!! The office is badly understaffed. (sickens me with the current unemployment rate) I guess since Illinois is basically broke, this would explained the badly staffed situation. While waiting I talked to many people, especially people who know the routine. 1) Any paperwork you have hand it to your case worker directly or else they will never get it, even if it means coming in and waiting another 5 hours to hand it to them. 2) Some case workers are great and will do whatever to help while others don't give a crap about you. It's all in the luck of the draw.
    So if this office is so understaffed, I assume the entire state office is understaffed and very lacking in making sure people are not abusing the system. IMO
    Once I left there I became more determined then ver to get work and fix my situation, I never want to go t that office again. :)

I have noticed 2 types of payment. One is a card, I believe that is Food Stamps, but then we have WIC (do other states have that) That is a piece of paper that they sign. And I have seen things rejected on both (like one lady got a juice that was a mixture and it had to be just one juice) I DO NOT mind people needing these services. Like you said....you needed them and could not WAIT to get off of them. That is how it should be. If you need to help, I have your back...just as you will if I need it one day.
    But, I think we get irritated at the abuses. And then when we say something, it seems like we hate the poor....that is not the case at all. We just hate the abuse. I have a police officer friend, that was trying to get disability...there was nothing wrong with him. He would be the 3rd generation on disability. He was denied...but I just did not get why he would want to be on it. Sure, he would not have to work, but all of the kids at the ball parks think he is so cool!! He has a great job! But, he was tired of working.
    I have an ER nurse friend that sees Medicaid abuse a lot. They have to keep a sharp eye because they will use each others ID to use the ER. She has people use the ER as a doctor's office (pregnancy tests, colds) these are all services that they could get at the clinic. Ya, they would have to pay the $25 co-pay, but that is not bad for seeing a DR. But, the ER is free!

We have got to figure out a way to prevent fraud in our services so we can still have these available when people truly need them!

So true I agree completely. Yes medicaid abuse is a big one here too. Every once in awhile someone gets caught but not very often.