Views on America

Options

Replies

• tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Exactly, english is the official language of this country and I should not have to press a button on my phone to hear whatever in english. I should not have to go to the ATM and have to choose a language. I think at least 4 years of a second language should be required by all. Also, all new citizens to our country should be required to know English, not required to speak it, but have a working knowledge of the language.

Actually, the United States does NOT have an official language. We are one of the few countries in the world that does not have a recognized official language listed in any government document.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I live in America, and frankly I hate living here.

I work my butt off monday through friday for pay that barely covers my bills and groceries.
    I go to college monday through thursday nights, for which I pay out of pocket for. (yes full time school and work leaves me tired all the time!)
    I don't have any health insurance, so I just try to keep myself as healthy as possible.
    I only get 1 week, yes 1 week of vacation a year - and it's not even paid vacation.
    The political system scares the *kitten* out of me.
    And the way people here view the gay community, and people of other cultures/skin color/etc is just horrific.

The boyfriend and I are just trying to get through college, and then we're looking to gain citizenship elsewhere and get out of here!

I would love to help you leave. Good riddance!

oh let me just get the education and them were out. My gut tells me you received a pell grant.
    BTW I get 3 weeks paid vacation and a week of sick pay. 2 personal days and lots of overtime if I like it. I get to work in an office with ac in the Texas summer and heat in the winter. I get to jump in my mercedes when I leave and drive on a gorgeous freeway paid for by the citizens of this Great State of Texas to a home that I own in a gorgeous neighborhood that my job paid for and its MINE. God Bless the USA! Oh and if I want I can throw a big *kitten* ribeye steak on my big Texas sized gas grill in my big *kitten* back yard too.

Hey, guess what? I don't get a pell grant. I don't get any kind of government assistance. I love the assumptions people make.

You should apply they are out there to help.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If it were easy to up and leave, I would, but it's not as easy as that...can't just pack up and move to France. Plus, my whole family is here.

I'm just grateful I live in New York City, which is fairly liberal. Most right wing religious zealots in this country are unbelievably ignorant and intolerant of anyone who is not exactly like them.

Is America the best country in the world? Oh hell no. I've spent a lot of time in Europe, and the quality of life is way, way better. Is it the worst country? No, definitely not. But for all we have...we should be a LOT more tolerant. Healthcare for EVERYONE, equal marriage rights for EVERYONE.

CHURCH AND STATE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SEPARATE!!

Soooo much judgment against people who have less than you. Do you really think most people on government assistance or scamming the system? Yes, some are, and that's not good, but the amount of people who legitimately need help outnumber those scammers. Trust me, the greedy bankers on Wall Street and the greedy politicians are a FAR FAR greater contributer to the financial crisis than illegal immigrants!!!

Wow, how ignorant and intolerant of you. So, I guess you know most " right wing religious zealots". I live in a state where most people believe in God and are conservatives and they are not as you described nor are they how our press likes to portray us.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Yes I've seen that film, but doesn't have a place in reality. First of all, Germany had a fractured history before the two world wars. They weren't unified until the late 1800s. Britain has long been relatively stable and peaceful, we've had no 'revolutions' as such, a short civil war. We've had hundreds of years to develop, countries in a state of flux (as Germany was) are susceptible to extremes like Hitler.
    But despite that, don't kid yourself into thinking just because the people have guns they will rise up and overthrow a corrupt government. Seems like silly reasoning.

No place in reality? What about Guy Fawke's and his gunpowder plot? I believe that was reality. He believed the government at the time to be corrupt, did he not? I know the colonies in the 1770's believed it to be corrupt. Britain's government has not always been so benevolent to it's citizens, and it seems silly to think that it (or any Western gov't) will always be that benevolent for all time. In fact, it seems like silly idealism to me. I'd rather be prepared for worst-case eventualities that to have blind faith in government. There have been a lot of revolutions throught the world in the last century where the people have rose up against a corrupt government, and those overthrows have usually been lubricated with firearms, whether internal or external. I'm generally a hippy-dippy peace loving type person, but I'm a realist in that there comes a time and place where action is required. I like Great Britain in most respects - I think it would be a "lovely" place to visit, but gun law is one thing that would stop me from taking permanent residence there.

Guy Fawkes didn't agree with the Religion of the current king. He wanted a Catholic king. The British Government gave in to many of the demands and constantly reduced taxes for the Colonies before the Revolutionary War but they did too little too late.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm an American.

I think the life goals of most people, in most countries, are the same. Be able to live a comfortable life and be happy. Very simple. It's when the governments get involved. Then the simple goals of most people are compromised. Other than that, I think some people from "western' civilizations are spoiled and expect to be catered to. I have news for them. The world isn't waiting to be blessed with your presence.

Without government regulation, how will people ensure that their families have clean water, safe working conditions, sufficient food and medical care, and good housing in order to have that comfortable life?

It's a serious question, I'm not mocking you, by the way. I simply know of no alternative to regulation that works or has ever worked.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I love the States, but their military interventions in places where they have no business being (Iraq, Afghanistan, tons of bases all around the world) rub a lot of people (including me) the wrong way.
    For some reason most of the wars the USA wages to "bring democracy" seem to be located in places where there's a lot of oil in the ground.

Great answer....And I didn't have to read anything else...
    There military and financial and unilateral support to countries that practice racism, and state terrorism as well is something people don't like.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Like every place in the world their are the ones that you want to slap up side the head and the ones you would welcome into your life. I have had the pleasure of meeting both types from the US. I live not 10 min from it's border but have no desire to live there. The politics, living conditions and the fear that a lot of the people from the US live in is not what I would want to be around.

...and what fear would that be?
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    I love the States, but their military interventions in places where they have no business being (Iraq, Afghanistan, tons of bases all around the world) rub a lot of people (including me) the wrong way.
    For some reason most of the wars the USA wages to "bring democracy" seem to be located in places where there's a lot of oil in the ground.

There military and financial and unilateral support to countries that practice racism, and state terrorism as well is something people don't like.

I agree.... We should elect Ron Paul president, he would stop this...
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yes I've seen that film, but doesn't have a place in reality. First of all, Germany had a fractured history before the two world wars. They weren't unified until the late 1800s. Britain has long been relatively stable and peaceful, we've had no 'revolutions' as such, a short civil war. We've had hundreds of years to develop, countries in a state of flux (as Germany was) are susceptible to extremes like Hitler.
    But despite that, don't kid yourself into thinking just because the people have guns they will rise up and overthrow a corrupt government. Seems like silly reasoning.

No place in reality? What about Guy Fawke's and his gunpowder plot? I believe that was reality. He believed the government at the time to be corrupt, did he not? I know the colonies in the 1770's believed it to be corrupt. Britain's government has not always been so benevolent to it's citizens, and it seems silly to think that it (or any Western gov't) will always be that benevolent for all time. In fact, it seems like silly idealism to me. I'd rather be prepared for worst-case eventualities that to have blind faith in government. There have been a lot of revolutions throught the world in the last century where the people have rose up against a corrupt government, and those overthrows have usually been lubricated with firearms, whether internal or external. I'm generally a hippy-dippy peace loving type person, but I'm a realist in that there comes a time and place where action is required. I like Great Britain in most respects - I think it would be a "lovely" place to visit, but gun law is one thing that would stop me from taking permanent residence there.

Guy Fawkes wanted to assassinate the current king of the time by blowing up our parliament building. That isn't rising up against a tyrannical government, it's terrorism.
    It seems much less realistic to believe in owning a gun in case the government suddenly decides to crush the people. Especially looking at your gun crime stats.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Exactly, english is the official language of this country and I should not have to press a button on my phone to hear whatever in english. I should not have to go to the ATM and have to choose a language. I think at least 4 years of a second language should be required by all. Also, all new citizens to our country should be required to know English, not required to speak it, but have a working knowledge of the language.

Actually, the United States does NOT have an official language. We are one of the few countries in the world that does not have a recognized official language listed in any government document.

post was edited as my desire to have english as the official language sometimes has me forget this. :)
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Those funds that are given to many of those nations is for national security. Its the drug pusher method, get them hooked on your product and you can use that as leverage when necessary.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    America_is_a_what.jpg
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I also hate some people's attitudes towards different languages. Why is it that our children are not taught a second language from a small age. My daughter is 5 and she is learning French because her father speaks it. People act like it's dirty. They get pissed that they have to press 1 for English. lol
    Not sure about the education system in PA, but here our students are required to take a foreign language. I don't know anyone who acts like "it's dirty".

I speak 2 languages and most of my education was in Virginia.

My husband is a Spanish Professor and his students find jobs faster if they have a minor in a foreign language. I have never had anyone say anything negative about my husband because he can speak 4 languages....if anything, they are impressed.

Saying that, even though the US does not have English as our official language, English is our main language. So, those that chose to live here, should learn it. Just as when I lived in Panama, I tried to learn it (I have some Spanish with and American accent!! haha)
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    as an amarican:

130021081692.png

lol
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    The politics, living conditions and the fear that a lot of the people from the US live in is not what I would want to be around.
    You haven't been to much of the US, then.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Actually we have a lot of people in MA that live in trailer parks, low income housing, and have tarps for roofs.

So, it's a mix.

Sorry that MA appears to be wealthier.

It's really not.

I went to a poor school that was made up of 7 towns (hubby is from another school that is another set of 7). I know that's considered a poor area. MA is anything but wealthy once you get outside of Boston proper.

Just really think before you write something like that.

We have extreme poverty in New England. In fact, half of Maine was unemployed the last I checked (I'm also a taxpayer in Maine).

Was that really necessary? I felt like we were having a nice dialogue.

And just because MA has some trailer parks does not make it a poor state.

Median Household 2009

Massachusetts #6 $64,081
    Alabama #46 $40,489

Massachusetts #7 $60,923
    Alabama #41 $42,218

So, yes, I did think before I wrote something. Massachusetts is a wealthier state, especially compared to Alabama!

Yup and I'm sure rent in Alabama for a modest 2 bed 1200sq st apartment doesnt' cost 1400$ a month. Its all relative, we make more because we pay more for cost of living so in the end its about even.
  • Coolhand1969
    Options
    It seems much less realistic to believe in owning a gun in case the government suddenly decides to crush the people. Especially looking at your gun crime stats.

uhh, we have more gun crime, because we have more guns. I bet you have higher baseball bat and knife crime stats. Does the choice of weapon really matter all that much?
  • rbovero
    rbovero Posts: 5
    Options
    The US is the best idea this planet ever had.
    agreed
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Like every place in the world their are the ones that you want to slap up side the head and the ones you would welcome into your life. I have had the pleasure of meeting both types from the US. I live not 10 min from it's border but have no desire to live there. The politics, living conditions and the fear that a lot of the people from the US live in is not what I would want to be around.

...and what fear would that be?

I am curious too. Not sure what the fear is.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options

lol, maybe if he wasn't a hundred...