Views on America

Options

Replies

• TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It seems much less realistic to believe in owning a gun in case the government suddenly decides to crush the people. Especially looking at your gun crime stats.

uhh, we have more gun crime, because we have more guns. I bet you have higher baseball bat and knife crime stats. Does the choice of weapon really matter all that much?

Yes. You're much more likely to kill with a gun....
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Actually we have a lot of people in MA that live in trailer parks, low income housing, and have tarps for roofs.

So, it's a mix.

Sorry that MA appears to be wealthier.

It's really not.

I went to a poor school that was made up of 7 towns (hubby is from another school that is another set of 7). I know that's considered a poor area. MA is anything but wealthy once you get outside of Boston proper.

Just really think before you write something like that.

We have extreme poverty in New England. In fact, half of Maine was unemployed the last I checked (I'm also a taxpayer in Maine).

Was that really necessary? I felt like we were having a nice dialogue.

And just because MA has some trailer parks does not make it a poor state.

Median Household 2009

Massachusetts #6 $64,081
    Alabama #46 $40,489

Massachusetts #7 $60,923
    Alabama #41 $42,218

So, yes, I did think before I wrote something. Massachusetts is a wealthier state, especially compared to Alabama!

Yup and I'm sure rent in Alabama for a modest 2 bed 1200sq st apartment doesnt' cost 1400$ a month. Its all relative, we make more because we pay more for cost of living so in the end its about even.

Not in all cases. Metro Dallas area makes the same income as Chicago, but the Chicago cost of living is considerably higher.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I love the States, but their military interventions in places where they have no business being (Iraq, Afghanistan, tons of bases all around the world) rub a lot of people (including me) the wrong way.
    For some reason most of the wars the USA wages to "bring democracy" seem to be located in places where there's a lot of oil in the ground.

Great answer....And I didn't have to read anything else...
    There military and financial and unilateral support to countries that practice racism, and state terrorism as well is something people don't like.

I agree.... We should elect Ron Paul president, he would stop this...

AMEN!!! He has the most military support out of all the Republican candidates for a reason!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Actually we have a lot of people in MA that live in trailer parks, low income housing, and have tarps for roofs.

So, it's a mix.

It's really not.

I went to a poor school that was made up of 7 towns (hubby is from another school that is another set of 7). I know that's considered a poor area. MA is anything but wealthy once you get outside of Boston proper.

We have extreme poverty in New England. In fact, half of Maine was unemployed the last I checked (I'm also a taxpayer in Maine).

Median Household 2009

Massachusetts #6 $64,081
    Alabama #46 $40,489

Massachusetts #7 $60,923
    Alabama #41 $42,218

So, yes, I did think before I wrote something. Massachusetts is a wealthier state, especially compared to Alabama!

Yup and I'm sure rent in Alabama for a modest 2 bed 1200sq st apartment doesnt' cost 1400$ a month. Its all relative, we make more because we pay more for cost of living so in the end its about even.

You have 2 bedroom 1200sq ft apartments. Now I am jealous I pay almost $1000 for a 2 bedroom 700 sq ft apartment.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    America_is_a_what.jpg

LOL...you must be a Canadian....
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada, but I'm not a fan of North American culture, in general.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    America_is_a_what.jpg

Purely to nitpick but technically the two continents are North America and South America.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    The politics, living conditions and the fear that a lot of the people from the US live in is not what I would want to be around.
    You haven't been to much of the US, then.

Yeah I was gonna say, that's a pretty broad generalization because I live in a pretty nice home, have a great job that I worked hard to get, and I'm not really afraid of anything in my daily life. You know, except tornadoes or scorpions or rattlesnakes...normal things to be afraid of in my part of the country :)

That's not to say I think things are all honky dory here, there is a lot I'd like to see change, but generally speaking, I think I've got it pretty good here. (FYI--not from a privileged family or anything, I worked my butt off to have everything that I own and my accomplishments are the result of my hard work and dedication.)
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options

...and a frail old lady is a lot more likely to be able to defend herself with a gun. It's called an equalizer.
    granny-with-gun.jpg
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options

So, it's a mix.

It's really not.

Median Household 2009

Massachusetts #6 $64,081
    Alabama #46 $40,489

Massachusetts #7 $60,923
    Alabama #41 $42,218

You have 2 bedroom 1200sq ft apartments. Now I am jealous I pay almost $1000 for a 2 bedroom 700 sq ft apartment.

I won't lie. I live in a 2 bedroom 1200sq ft apartment. And I really, really love it and don't wanna move even though I know I need to start looking at houses lol
  • blink1021
    Options
    I also hate some people's attitudes towards different languages. Why is it that our children are not taught a second language from a small age. My daughter is 5 and she is learning French because her father speaks it. People act like it's dirty. They get pissed that they have to press 1 for English. lol
    Not sure about the education system in PA, but here our students are required to take a foreign language. I don't know anyone who acts like "it's dirty".

I speak 2 languages and most of my education was in Virginia.

My husband is a Spanish Professor and his students find jobs faster if they have a minor in a foreign language. I have never had anyone say anything negative about my husband because he can speak 4 languages....if anything, they are impressed.

Saying that, even though the US does not have English as our official language, English is our main language. So, those that chose to live here, should learn it. Just as when I lived in Panama, I tried to learn it (I have some Spanish with and American accent!! haha)

So true at least it used to be our main language unfortunately we are slowly becoming outnumbered not sure of the actual stats but by 2030 spanish speaking community is supposed to surpass the english speaking.
  • rbovero
    rbovero Posts: 5
    Options
    It seems much less realistic to believe in owning a gun in case the government suddenly decides to crush the people. Especially looking at your gun crime stats.

uhh, we have more gun crime, because we have more guns. I bet you have higher baseball bat and knife crime stats. Does the choice of weapon really matter all that much?
    exactly! And the states that have more law abiding gun owners have LESS gun crime!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

not if you know how and when to use it. actualy much more likely to kill you with a car than a gun
  • blink1021
    Options
    The politics, living conditions and the fear that a lot of the people from the US live in is not what I would want to be around.
    You haven't been to much of the US, then.

Yeah I was gonna say, that's a pretty broad generalization because I live in a pretty nice home, have a great job that I worked hard to get, and I'm not really afraid of anything in my daily life. You know, except tornadoes or scorpions or rattlesnakes...normal things to be afraid of in my part of the country :)

That's not to say I think things are all honky dory here, there is a lot I'd like to see change, but generally speaking, I think I've got it pretty good here. (FYI--not from a privileged family or anything, I worked my butt off to have everything that I own and my accomplishments are the result of my hard work and dedication.)

Tornadoes scare me too so unpredictable
  • acmilan11
    acmilan11 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian and work for a big Austarlian bank in NYC. You Aussies are great!!!! You're very friendly and fun to be with.
    I love working with them!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

exactly! And the states that have more law abiding gun owners have LESS gun crime!

An armed society is a polite society, and statistics will show that states that have more guns per capita and make it easier to apply for and receive a concealed weapon permit generally have the lowest amount of gun related crimes.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends in America. I love them to bits. As individuals they're amazing women.

But, err... (damn it, I hope I don't offend anyone right now) monitoring your political situation scares me so bad. Religion has no place in politics and I'm fortunate to live in a country which has separated Church and State.

I just can't get over that you don't have Universal Healthcare.
    I can't get over the abortion bill in Virginia.
    I can't get over the fact that the bill to allow employers to pick and choose what healthcare to cover only marginally got kicked out (we're talking like 4 votes between them).
    I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue.
    And although I love Barack Obama, I can't get over the fact that your President acts more like a celebrity than he does as a ruler of a country.

But your people. I love your people. For the most part. Everywhere has bad eggs. Just your politics I cannot abide.

I agree with you, every where has bad eggs. But I don't understand your views about our politics.
    What do you love about Barack Obama? And why do you think Rick Santorum hates women, blacks, homosexuals?
    Health care isn't universal here because we pay lower taxes than most other countries. There would have to be a complete change in our tax system for our country to be able to afford universal health care.

Edit: and why call him Sanitorium? I always find it interesting that other countries have such strong views about American politics and wonder where it comes from?
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna steer clear of this one - a lot of the Americans are giving the typical stereotype views they have.

Lets just say America needs to remember it's a little part of the world - not THE world.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna steer clear of this one - a lot of the Americans are giving the typical stereotype views they have.

Lets just say America needs to remember it's a little part of the world - not THE world.

:heart:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

A lot fewer Americans are doing that in this thread than I expected. I'm very happy about that. Maybe things are starting to change a little bit.