Views on America

Options

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My parents were born in India..but dad was raised in Kenya. i was born in England..but raised in the states. i will say I do have a very different view of America..but wouldn't live any other place...i will say that some states are less desirable than others. i was raised in Cali..very open minded and hubby in new jersey...we live in Colorado..and have faced so much hatred..i had to keep my oldest out of school for a year.

but as many have mentioned..each country/area has its good stuff and bad stuff...we do as much as we can..as far as teaching our children about tolerance ( cant help it when we have about 4 different religions in our immediate family, let alone 5-6 different races)...and we volunteer at church to teach children about tolerance as well..
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna steer clear of this one - a lot of the Americans are giving the typical stereotype views they have.

Lets just say America needs to remember it's a little part of the world - not THE world.

Good job staying clear!!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna steer clear of this one - a lot of the Americans are giving the typical stereotype views they have.

Lets just say America needs to remember it's a little part of the world - not THE world.
    I never got that from any of these posts.
  • macpatti
    Options

Good job staying clear!!
    :laugh:
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Really? I have read this entire thread and there is very little of Americans giving typical stereotype views of others.

You sure you didn't just read one page and found one post like that and just assumed?
  • macpatti
    Options
    I'm not really afraid of anything in my daily life. You know, except tornadoes or scorpions or rattlesnakes...normal things to be afraid of in my part of the country :)
    Tornadoes scare me too so unpredictable
    Hurricanes, too! They scare me because I'm so close to the Gulf of Mexico. See how frightening it can be to live in the USA?
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    America is my home. I love it here. We're not a perfect people, but we're pretty good overall.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

While we may be a nation in a larger world, we've done more than any other country in the last 200+ years to ensure the freedom and lives of just about everyone on this planet. Others may not like hearing it we've brought more innovation and inventions to the world to save lives and improve standards of living, and have done more to squelch and eliminate threats to all people.

I'm sure we can all agree that if it weren't for America entering the war in WW2 pretty much all of Europe would still be under Nazi rule, and all of SE Asia and Australia would be under Japanese control.

Let's not forget that America gives out more foreign aid money to more nations than anyone else. It's easy to forget that.

My personal opinion is that America should pull back. Get out of Afghanistan, Iraq, S. Korea, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc. etc. etc. Cut all foreign aid to all nations and concentrate on improving our own society, and lowering taxes for all of our citizens. Boost manufacuring so we don't have to import as much, and then adopt a no tolerance policy for attacks on our nation.

Let's see how the world gets on then :laugh: :tongue:
  • macpatti
    Options
    America is my home. I love it here. We're not a perfect people, but we're pretty good overall.
    :flowerforyou:
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Apart from evangelical politics, the remarkable rise of ignorant and untalented extremists, gun law,laws against abortion and an unfortunate healthcare system, I generally like the US.

I have family there and I love the gregariousness, openness and helpfulness of the Americans I've met when I've visited.

Unfortunately, it seems the few Americans who cross the pond are doing your reputation a disservice.. - I don't mind a little nationalistic pride but there's a difference between loving your country and thinking everywhere is a dump because they 'don't accept dollars', 'don't have a grid system' or they 'speak funny' (exact comments from American tourists)
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options

I never got that from any of these posts.

I did, but then I guess as an 'outsider' the stereotypes are just easier to identify? Not the majority of the thread mind, but there are quite a few posts which made me chuckle :smile:

Though there is a disappointing lack of 'yeeeehawwww's in this thread :grumble: Come on y'all, lets crack out all the stereotypes while we're at it!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I'm not really afraid of anything in my daily life. You know, except tornadoes or scorpions or rattlesnakes...normal things to be afraid of in my part of the country :)
    Hurricanes, too! They scare me because I'm so close to the Gulf of Mexico. See how frightening it can be to live in the USA?

earthquakes....im in so cal
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I dislike how dependent the rest of the world is on the US. You guys are in trouble & you're dragging the rest of the world down with you, yet if any other country had the same problems, you wouldn't see the issue on a global scale.
    America should mind it's own business unless there's a problem directly involving it - get your troops out of Australia & everywhere else you don't belong, & stop bullying the other countries. & goddammit, stop influencing Canada to follow in your footsteps. This country would be great if they'd stop taking advice from you.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm an American.

I think the life goals of most people, in most countries, are the same. Be able to live a comfortable life and be happy. Very simple. It's when the governments get involved. Then the simple goals of most people are compromised. Other than that, I think some people from "western' civilizations are spoiled and expect to be catered to. I have news for them. The world isn't waiting to be blessed with your presence.

Without government regulation, how will people ensure that their families have clean water, safe working conditions, sufficient food and medical care, and good housing in order to have that comfortable life?

It's a serious question, I'm not mocking you, by the way. I simply know of no alternative to regulation that works or has ever worked.

I understand how the government should make sure we have clear water, an outbreak of contamination could cause massive death but where does it say that people should have food, housing, medical care and comfortable life?

If you give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he can feed HIMSELF for a lifetime. Right now lots of people just want a fish, and the government wants to make everyone pay for that fish...

I am what would be considered "poor" but I sympathsize for the upper class sometimes. If you work hard and make something of your life, the government punishes you to support people who are either in bad situations or just plain chose NOT to work hard.
  • macpatti
    Options

earthquakes....im in so cal
    Then we agree. The USA is a scary place to live!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I dislike how dependent the rest of the world is on the US. You guys are in trouble & you're dragging the rest of the world down with you, yet if any other country had the same problems, you wouldn't see the issue on a global scale.
    America should mind it's own business unless there's a problem directly involving it - get your troops out of Australia & everywhere else you don't belong, & stop bullying the other countries. & goddammit, stop influencing Canada to follow in your footsteps. This country would be great if they'd stop taking advice from you.

Actually, the US economy is in recovery that is only threatened by the EU debt crisis.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Without government regulation, how will people ensure that their families have clean water, safe working conditions, sufficient food and medical care, and good housing in order to have that comfortable life?

I'll try to remember this while watching the next Kitchen Nightmares.
    By that logic every walk-in would be spotless, with no moldy food! :tongue:
    I think word of mouth works pretty good now days, since Al Gore invented
    the internet.

howfair.jpg

The gun law worked out pretty good in Kennesaw, Georgia.

In 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-21]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.
    (b)Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

Gun rights activist David Kopel has claimed that there is evidence that this gun law has reduced the incident rate of home burglaries citing that in the first year, home burglaries dropped from 65 before the ordinance, down to 26 in 1983, and to 11 in 1984. Another report observed a noticeable reduction in burglary from 1981, the year before the ordinance was passed, to 1999.

Statistical analysis of [the] data over a longer period of time did not show any evidence that [the law] reduced the rate of home burglaries [in Kennesaw.] However, the overall crime rate has decreased by more than 50% since the law was put into affect according to statistics from 2005.

The city's website claims the city has the lowest crime rate in the county.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian, and I have quite a few American friends (irl)... I love them, they are beautiful, smart, funny, and always awesome fun to go out with!

And I'm not going to make any generalizations about the whole of America, as anything I would say would pretty much be just a few stereotypes of what some people think about Americans, and is not generally true. Like 'all Australians do is drink pi**' which is only kinda true haha!

Drink Pi ss? HUH? I never made THAT stereotype!!

It means alcohol! I'm sorry haha! I should probably change it before everyone thinks we drink our own urine

I love this! And I totally read it in my head in an Australian accent.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options

While we may be a nation in a larger world, we've done more than any other country in the last 200+ years to ensure the freedom and lives of just about everyone on this planet. Others may not like hearing it we've brought more innovation and inventions to the world to save lives and improve standards of living, and have done more to squelch and eliminate threats to all people.

I'm sure we can all agree that if it weren't for America entering the war in WW2 pretty much all of Europe would still be under Nazi rule, and all of SE Asia and Australia would be under Japanese control.

Let's not forget that America gives out more foreign aid money to more nations than anyone else. It's easy to forget that.

My personal opinion is that America should pull back. Get out of Afghanistan, Iraq, S. Korea, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc. etc. etc. Cut all foreign aid to all nations and concentrate on improving our own society, and lowering taxes for all of our citizens. Boost manufacuring so we don't have to import as much, and then adopt a no tolerance policy for attacks on our nation.

Let's see how the world gets on then :laugh: :tongue:

Booooooom and we have a winner. How many stereotypes can we fit in one post?
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

God doesn't need a dam, He walked on water! ;)