Scared to get pregnant?!

Options
12346»

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments...

But a during a healthy pregnancy, you should only gain between 25 and 30 pounds. Of course every pregnancy is different. Being healthy before getting pregnant makes your pregnancy that much easier. Plus, don't think you can't work out because you are pregnant. Not only will it help you shed the pounds quicker after you have a baby, exorcise also helps tremendously during labor and pretty much your entire pregnancy.

If you only gain 25-30 pounds, you will seriously shed 20 of it in the hospital. Yes, your stomach will look different depending how far you stretch, but it's nothing that can't bounce back.

My favorite picture is a picture of a woman with horrid stretch marks...the caption says "Your body isn't ruined. You are a god damned tiger who earned her stripes"

Besides, once you fall in love with that baby, you won't even care about the marks.

That is until they turn into vile, unappreciative teenagers. *snort* (Help!)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have a different perspective on this, maybe someone will find it helpful.

I was 38 when I got pregnant and I was very overweight (5'2" and weighed about 250). I lost weight the first few months of my pregnancy because I had finally started eating properly. My doctor was very pleased. Over my pregnancy, I only added about 17 lbs over my starting weight because I had made such positive changes in my diet. BUT... being 5'3", 260+ lbs and pregnant led to some health problems during the pregnancy and there were several scary days when I didn't know if she was going to be ok or not. She did fine, but we did an emergency c-section a couple of weeks before my due date because my blood pressure was sky high (200/100) and wouldn't come back under control.

So if your question is "should I get into shape before getting pregnant" or wait til after - I'd vote "now". Strengthening your heart, improving your circulation, keeping hydrated, etc. will do you and your future child a lot of good. Best wishes!

Yes you should get into shape first. It's not dumb to lose weight only to get pregnant.

My youngest almost died because of my weight before I got pregnant. Being over weight during pregnancy causes a million complications. My pregnancy was hell. I was also induced but no c-section. I pushed her out with no drugs. All 10 pounds of her. Oy!
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I actually craved HEALTHY foods when I was prego.:

THIS! and because i knew i was nurishing myself as well as my unborn child i made it a point to eat healthy and my dr told me i didn't gain enough weight. my hubby has been hinting at baby number 2 for us and i'm not afraid to get preggers at all. were not trying or anything and i'm on the pill but if it happens then its gods will. also i was smaller afer i gave birth than my pre pregnancy weight. i read "what to expect when expecting" and it said that it's normal to gain atleast 30 pounds as on average 27 pounds of that is baby and amniotic fluid. i plan on being totally fit and toned up when/if i have baby number 2 so my body can bounce back quicker and also i'll lose any extra weight i gain quicker.
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a different perspective on this, maybe someone will find it helpful.

I was 38 when I got pregnant and I was very overweight (5'2" and weighed about 250). I lost weight the first few months of my pregnancy because I had finally started eating properly. My doctor was very pleased. Over my pregnancy, I only added about 17 lbs over my starting weight because I had made such positive changes in my diet. BUT... being 5'3", 260+ lbs and pregnant led to some health problems during the pregnancy and there were several scary days when I didn't know if she was going to be ok or not. She did fine, but we did an emergency c-section a couple of weeks before my due date because my blood pressure was sky high (200/100) and wouldn't come back under control.

So if your question is "should I get into shape before getting pregnant" or wait til after - I'd vote "now". Strengthening your heart, improving your circulation, keeping hydrated, etc. will do you and your future child a lot of good. Best wishes!

Yes you should get into shape first. It's not dumb to lose weight only to get pregnant.

My youngest almost died because of my weight before I got pregnant. Being over weight during pregnancy causes a million complications. My pregnancy was hell. I was also induced but no c-section. I pushed her out with no drugs. All 10 pounds of her. Oy!

these posters have a very good point a family member or mine was trying for her first (who is almost 6 months old now :)) and she miscarried three times before her OB/GYN advised her to lose 30 pounds before trying again. she lost all 30 plus a few more and had a problem free pregnancy, she continued her healthy eating and daily walks while pregnant and only gained 20 pounds during her pregnancy, 8 of that her beautiful daughter, she was losing fat while simultaneously gaining baby.
  • Jennifer873
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one anxious about babies someday..they are on my hunny's mind but I would love to be healthier for me first.. : )
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    OMG yes. I don't really want kids and never have, but when I think about the "what if's" (it's not like I'm a nun, so it could happen), that always jumps to mind. Most of the women in my family got HUGE after they had kids, so it's hard not to imagine the same happening to me!
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    I was not fearful at all about gaining weight during pregnancy! I had put on a few pounds before we started trying, so I worked out and lost those few before getting preganant. I will say with my first child I gained 65lbs being completely careless of what I ate and only lost about 20lbs of it before getting pregnant with my second. With my second I only gained 25lbs, because I had morning sickness for nearly half of it, and walked daily through the entire pregnancy. It was super hard to get all the weight off, but my kids are now 6 and going on 4 and I have finally gotten back to my pre pregnancy weight. Now just working on getting those last few pounds off to be back to what I was the day my husband and I got married 10 1/2 years ago! It is perfectly normal to gain weight during pregnancy, it means the baby is growing nice and healthy! If you pay attention to your eating and continue to workout you shouldn't gain that much and it should come off quite easily after the baby is born.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would not be scared. You are doing the right things now in terms of food/exercise, and you will continue those habits after the baby. From what I understand, the joy of having a child far outweighs the work may have to do post-baby.

Most of my friends continued to eat healthy while they were pregnant with, albeit a few more cheat days, and they bounced back in record time.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I'm afraid to get pregnant (someday) because I put a lot of work into my body, and I know it is really easy for me to gain weight. I know it sounds vain but when you've spent a lot of time overweight, it isn't a good feeling.

And I'm also with you. Its not about being selfish or vain, its because I was overweight for most of my adult life & worked so hard to be where I am right now & then all of a sudden nature tell us to gain weight because of a baby. Its not that easy & frankly even if I wanted a baby but I sooo hate the consecuences of getting bigger because of pregnancy. When that time comes, I will still continue doing what I do & making sure that I will still fit in the same clothes size that I have now before & after giving birth.