Does Slim Fast Really Work?

Options

Replies

• aradje01
    aradje01 Posts: 12
    Options
    No, it doesn't. Just stick to eating less calories, eating healthy REAL foods, and exercising. Slim Fast didn't help me, it just made me hungry still and I felt worse than if I ate a nice hearty salad, veggies or fruits.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm already doing a calorie controlled diet and hit the gym three times a week as well as having a cross trainer at home. I just need something at lunch time really that will keep me going until I get home for dinner. There's far too much temptation at the office where I work with vending machines etc. I need something that will help me feel full. I've got surgery coming up in the next few months, so I'm really trying to shift the weight so I'm at less risk of something going wrong due to being overweight.

I read in NROLFW that a slim fast mixed with a scoop of the same flavoured whey protein was a pretty good meal replacement. I've had this a couple of times, just for convenience so might be an idea for you if your stuck for something for lunch.
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It helped me lose my fist 50 pounds, and am starting them again due lacking vitamins and not able to eat breakfast due to my lapband as a replacement to get some more nutrients in. I loved them personally. For my situation it helps me. and there is 18g of sugar, your allowance is like 24-27 grams of bad sugar... As long as you stay on track and eat healthy the rest of the day.. It wont hurt your weight loss at all.
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Slim fast causes me to bleed out of my butt. So, after that happened, I stopped using it.
    Wtf..no it didn't...you need to go see a doctor...Slim fast can't cause that....unless you're just trolling...
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes it works, it got me to my smallest weight ever :)
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use the powered stuff for breakfast. And, I always keep a couple of the premixed shakes (different brand, but same thing) in the fridge at work: in-case I get called off to a surprise meeting (I can drink one on the way), or I wind up working late.

I used it on and off as a quick and easy meal replacement for 25-years, and I've never had any ill effects from it. As far as whether or not it "works" for weight loss, as long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
  • Melaney1
    Melaney1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have used slimfast for years and years for a breakfast meal replacement and have had no issues with it. Everyone is different, try it out and see if it works for you. I now put it in the blender with ice and sometimes a banana or other fruits.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    chemicals and more chemicals. no. just go the natural way
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Yup it works, but so would any 1200 calorie diet, but it helps if you get chocolate cravings. It's how I got started losing weight.

Lots of people here on their high horse lol as if they never once ate anything processed ever smh lmao
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they work, but why would you want to starve yourself?
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    I've tried the slim fast diet several times. It's never worked for me. By the time dinner came around, I was so hungry that I always ate too much food.
  • newloafofbread
    newloafofbread Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ironically I think they're okay if you aren't ACTUALLY using them as a meal replacement. I eat three meals a day and two snacks and I use the slim fast shake as one of my snacks. It's filling enough to get me from breakfast to lunch, and it's got an easy amount of protein and calories (sometimes I have peanuts instead, but I feel less satisfied). Plus I only get one lunch break at work, but I need to eat three times, so having a shake is a super easy thing to have while on the clock. It's a drink so no one cares.

I agree with what someone else said though. If you're eating it WITH food then you will gain weight. Having one is essentially like drinking a 16 oz glass of 2% milk. It's calories and it counts. On the other hand, it's not enough vitamins or sustanance to really be a meal.

So pretty much if it's for a snack, it's okay, but otherwise no.
  • RavenWolf1977
    RavenWolf1977 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think Slim Fast is okay for an occassional on the go meal. I know in the past I've taken one with me if I was going out and about and may be tempted to hit a fast food joint or something. As far as depending on it as a daily meal replacement program, I think it is a bad idea.

The point of "dieting" isn't to diet short term and then go back to eating the way you are used to. The point is to make life long sustainable changes that are healthy and will keep you healthy. Slim Fast is not a good lifelong meal choice.

:)
  • Fatbirdtalking
    Options
    I used them, got bloated, suffered terrible pains in both stomach and head, became ill and collapsed. Not for me ever again,
    The friend that suggested them as being great then said after "oh yeah, the same thing happened to me" Thanks mate !
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    slimfast, meal replacements etc IMO basically make it easy and give you the nutrition /protein you need daily.... it eliminates any thought. Maintaining protein levels etc throughout the day does keep your hunger at bay...but this doesnt keep head hunger in check...that is something different and has to be dealt with behavioural modifications.

These diets do work to get the weight off...but it doesnt teach you life long habits you need to know to eat healthy afterwards.

I did follow a "liquid" diet approach...very much like slimfast...yes it drops the weight etc and usually fast...but I also learned how to transition to healthy eating ...which also you can lose weight.
    just remember it will get the weight off if the program is followed....but keeping the weight off and going back to your "normal " eating doesnt....at some point... healthy eating behaviours have to be developed to maintain the loss.

^This!^ As a lifelong yo yo dieter I was always looking for the quick fix when it was right under my nose all the time. This website made it easy to eat healthy, eat what I want, and control portions for a slow steady weight loss. I know that this is how I will need to eat for the rest of my life if I want to maintain a healthy weight and stay healthy. I am literally having fun doing this! It does work.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    if you prefer a milkshake in place of a meal, then yes it works, when i tried it i lost 20 lbs and gained it all back.
  • bmansur1
    bmansur1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the Atkins shakes here and there when I need the quick meal or I am just to lazy to think about cooking. They have less carbs and I like the taste better than slimfast. Slimfast always left me hungry and eventually it led to weight gain and not weight loss. If you just want a quick sip for the chocolate fix, I would leave a mixed drink in the fridge and take a sip every now and then. This way it's a treat and you're not fully relying on it for a meal.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I used a couple of the shakes and bars when I first started to eat better and track calories. After doing some simple research and minimal prep work, I quickly found out that I could eat better stuff for wayyy cheaper by hanging around the outside edge of the grocery store. If you eat properly, you'll feel like a glutton just hitting your daily goal. I eat all day and still struggle to hit 2k/day, so thank goodness for calorie-dense foods!
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    I used a couple of the shakes and bars when I first started to eat better and track calories. After doing some simple research and minimal prep work, I quickly found out that I could eat better stuff for wayyy cheaper by hanging around the outside edge of the grocery store. If you eat properly, you'll feel like a glutton just hitting your daily goal. I eat all day and still struggle to hit 2k/day, so thank goodness for calorie-dense foods!

so true.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have used Slimfast in the past. I reall liked the taste of the chocolate royale powder. However, they did not fill me up and I would eat just as I always did so there was no weight loss. I can't really see any benefit to it.