Does Slim Fast Really Work?

Options

Replies

• la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I often have a shake for breakfast and that works for me. I don't like to eat breakfast but need to so it takes the hunger edge off and gets me to lunch time. Plus it does have some essential nutrients I don't otherwise get enough of.

Ditto
  • amycaramel
    Options
    About to do a week of slim fast to kick start a new diet.
    Will say how things go!
  • JenaFernwood
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what ingredients are used in Slim Fast, but the thing I don't like about most of the shake-type programs is there is usually at least some chemical preservatives, dyes, artificial flavors, etc in them, and I am trying to eat as clean and natural as possible. Sure, I grab a protein shake every now and then when I'm in a hurry, but programs like that really don't teach you about portion control or eating whole organic foods.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yes.

in the 90's I lost 30 lbs and kept them off for several years when I returned to my version of normal eating. which is somewhat healthy to begin with not meticulously counted but overall health conscious.

recently my 25lbs have been on slim fast 123 plan.

It's not magic though anything would work that would limit your cals.

It's not even necessary either, there are plenty of people here who claim to have been able to lose weight by simply eating at a caloric deficit of a certain percent less than either a) they were already eating or b) their specific body needs as per their weight and activity levels. key words to use in the search feature for these methods include "level obstacles", "TDEE", "caloric deficit", "IPOARM", etc. There's more once you start reading these you'll see the others.

I only mention this as since you bought "two tubs" I wonder if you are just starting and if so knowing the most possible before you get started may help you start off on the right foot with a plan that while being way less restrictive can still achieve lasting weight loss.
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use it through weeks where I do 35 hours (usually only do 14) because I simply have no time to eat for breakfast or lunch. I personally like the snacks they do and often buy them purely down to the way they taste. I have just started a long stint on them while I'm in work full time (6 weeks), and 5 days in and I am down 5lbs BUT I only use them during the week as weekends I have the time to eat the equivalent in calories as food - this seems to help me maintain whatever loss I have achieved. I've not had any of the side effects mentioned on here but that's not to say that you won't. It's all trial and error and totally down to personal preference.
  • zrjp9
    zrjp9 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You are going to be soooooo hungry
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    You'd get better nutrition from a low cal protein shake and a Snickers bar than a Slimfast.

^^ this ^^ or drink ensure. But slim fast is junk. After my last child I thought it was easier to just do slimfast than exercise and eat right. WRONG!! It made me break out really bad and gave me bad gas not to mention the fact that after several months I had only lost 5 lbs.
  • KandySkull82
    Options
    I started using slim fast 3 days ago and already I have lost 2lbs!

Its not easy and very restrictive, I dont eat the slim fast snacks as I feel it kinda defeats the purpose but I have a shake for breakfast and lunch, I snack on an apple and have a low calorie main meal with a pear for desert. Then I have low calorie bread toasted for my supper with a cup of tea. I'm just finishing off day 3 and I feel alot more focused on my diet than I usually do.

I have to say that I tried Skinny Sprinkles too, and at £30 a tub it wasn't worth it as it really didn't work for me :(
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Only works if your eating in a deficit. Probably would of been better if you just got some whey protein and add some fruits or something for carbs.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I tried it briefly about 10 years ago. I lost a little bit of weight, but got so sick of the stuff I quit long before making any real progress.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    ANY DIET works when adhered to. Sustainability on it is another issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    About 19 years ago I did the slim-fast plan for about 6 months and lost 20 pounds. It was an easy plan to follow and it took the guess work out of what you were going to eat. I didn't feel too hungry. They didn't taste all that great then, I don't know if they have improved on the flavors. Even with all that said I wouldnt' recommend them though because as soon as I quit the plan I gained back what I had lost plus more. I learned I just needed to watch the portions of how much I ate of real food.
  • astange83
    astange83 Posts: 105
    Options
    I use it for the days I'm in a pinch and had too much of a workout before work and find that at 11am its a shake or a candy bar til lunch at 130, so I grab the shake for the protein and added fiber. It does tend to have a bad aftertaste though. The powders don't seem as bad if you can get them mixed in.
  • rachso
    rachso Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't do Slim-Fast. I will, occasionally grrab a Special K preotein shake and drink it before a workout--esp my early mornings workouts that happen before breakfast., But even then I ALWAYS shower and grab a proper meal after that
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have said it was sustainable at all.

I used it when I started JUDDD, the idea was to break the habit of over eating. It was hard to do but it was only 2 or 3 days a week, so I stuck with it. And yes, it did cause some trouble with my stomach. But I was aware of that before I started and had decided that it was worth it, short term.

I buy a pack of the ready made stuff whenever I see the coffee or chocolate ones on offer. So I usually have 4 in the fridge at home and another 4 at work - they are foul if not ice cold.

They are, as others have said, really useful if you are in a rush, or are using them as a snack rather than your only food source.

As for trans fats and artificial vitamins, pah! You find more of both in most breakfast cereals.

In my lifetime I am fully aware that, before we knew about additives, I ate a lot of stuff I would avoid these days - I mean, we all grew up on margarine, didn't we? I choose not to include them now, as far as is practicable. I wouldn't spend or drive twice as much/far to avoid them, I accept that in many every day foods I will be consuming them. So I rationalised my using Slimfast. If I find something comparable that is as easy I may well switch.

Basically, I don't rely on them and I don't panic about the additives. There's no nicotine or arsenic in them!
  • Vokerath
    Vokerath Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes slimfast works, it started me off on my diet last week but really it is just calorie control. I still use the shakes but I don't bother with the snack bars other than for a treat.

Just stick to your calorie goal on MFP, it works better.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I haven't followed the slim fast diet plan because I would get really bored with just drinking shakes for breakfast and lunch. I do however always keep slim fast shakes on hand for a quick meal when I am busy. Love the cappuccino one, and they really are filling. I also love the peanut butter crunch and chocolate mint snack bars.
  • tannadine
    tannadine Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Slimfast definitely works, purely because it drops the calories you are consuming down to around 1300 (if you are following the 3-2-1 plan). I agree with some of the previous posters though - if you have an active lifestyle (and it sounds like you do, with your regular workouts) it probably wont be enough to keep you satisfied.

I use Slimfast in conjunction with normal calorie counting - I find if I only have one shake a day it keeps my IBS from flaring up. That said, I know I probably shouldn't be eating them at all if they cause such gastrointestinal distress...!

Anyway, all the best on your journey! xx
  • zoomzoom443
    Options
    I have recently started using slim fast and still after a week my stomach hurts all the time and when i feel unwell i get migranes but it does help drop the pounds
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I often have a slimfast for lunch when at work, and actually I really like the cafe latte flavour one. It is convenient for busy days and takes the temptation to have a big calorie-laden lunch out away!