I lost weight for a guy

Options
No not me, but that is what my cousin told me on the way she obtain her husband. Is that smart, or is this customary and people just don't talk about it?

Replies

• Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Lose weight for HEALTH REASONS! I mean if that was her motivation to get healthy then it worked. Hopefully she will keep up the lifestyle.
  • TIDDYBEAR
    TIDDYBEAR Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I dont' know......... I was always told that you can't loose weight for somebody else, you have to do it for yourSELF! Although
    my husband LOVES my weight loss, I didn't do it "for" him.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    No not me, but that is what my cousin told me on the way she obtain her husband. Is that smart, or is this customary and people just don't talk about it?

Vanity is real.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    All those politically correct answer are cool and def loss weight for yourself and your health cause you will feel great , BUT I will say this when you go to the car lot to buy a car, the car is washed, clean inside, New tires and the fluids topped off. If you want a husband be the best YOU you can be. A lot of women out here try being a nickel and want a dime and end up old maids. <jumps off soap box>
  • sublimedoll
    Options
    The only time that I've ever lost weight "for a guy" was so that I could get skinny and then dump his @$$, which I did =) Then I proceeded to gain it all back about five months later :(
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    im gonna get yelled at here,

but isnt the overall point is that your loosing weight?
    loosing weight means your getting healthy, if that her motivation then whats the problem with that?
    better than not making a change at all

*this is NOT why im doing it, but i can see her point of view
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Vanity is real.

Couldn't have been said any better!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    People do whatever they want to do most of the time maybe in years to come you look back and think I shouldnt have done that... But hey this is life and if she has lost weight for her husband good for her as long as she's healthier abd not under weight. :O)
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I was about ten pounds heavier when I married my husband than I was when I met him. This is not customary.
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    I had already lost like 80lbs but ended but getting into a relationship with a great friend. I don't go to the gym for him but I love when he can see a difference. He has lost a lot too, but this is for me and my health!
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    You lose weight for yourself. Point blaaaaank
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight for a guy. I'll take whatever motivation I can get.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    I know I once tried to lose weight for an ex. An attempt to make her upset over the break up. However, that didn't last long and the efforts. Now that I've made it for myself and to try and be healthy it's actually lasted.

So, looking at my situation, I would imagine people may try to lose weight for someone and fail. Or they start to lose weight for the person, but then as the efforts start to pay off they stop losing it for them and start to lose it for themselves.

So yes, it's bad and good. Depending on how it turns out, heh.
  • midnightwhispers
    Options
    I've known a few people - male and female - who have lost weight to get the attention of a certain person. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. There was one girl I knew who lost a ton of weight, got with the guy only to slowly gain half of the loss back over the years and he broke up with her because of it. If s/he doesn't want to be with you at your worst than why should they have the pleasure to be with you at your best
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight for Rahm Emmanuel
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think people lose weight and get healthy for a variety of reasons. Case in point: When I got divorced, I proceeded to lose 60 pounds on my own, eating right and exercising. Then I met my current spouse and proceeded to gain 85 pounds in 3 years. Keep in mind this is following a lifetime of yo-yo dieting to please other people (parents, friends, grandparents etc...).

Notice the trend? I was always doing for reasons other than the most important one: to get healthy.

Now I'm here and losing the weight for me! This is MY time and I WANT this more than anything. I am tired of seat belt extensions on planes, not being able to keep up with my son, having a sore back, being tired all the time. THAT'S ENOUGH! I want to be healthy... FOR ME! I think it's the only way I'll be able to stick to the lifestyle change.

My two cents...
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I know I once tried to lose weight for an ex. An attempt to make her upset over the break up. However, that didn't last long and the efforts. Now that I've made it for myself and to try and be healthy it's actually lasted.

So, looking at my situation, I would imagine people may try to lose weight for someone and fail. Or they start to lose weight for the person, but then as the efforts start to pay off they stop losing it for them and start to lose it for themselves.

So yes, it's bad and good. Depending on how it turns out, heh.

^^ This ^^

I lost weight to show an ex what he was missing. He didn't care....and I gained it all back.

Now it's for me!!!!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I did too for a guy in highschool. Throwing everything up + hardcore working out. Got everyone else's attention BUT his. haha He turned out to be a dumpster fire later on after highschool so its whatever. But I still lost alot of weight, the wrong way. :/
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I look at the additional attention I get as an added bonus to my triceps.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Do it for self. Period. If it benefits you in other areas of your life that is a bonus.