Runners, what do you do for cross training?

Options
2»

Replies

• Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I like to swtich it up. so I take Zumba classes now and again. Walking, Uphill/incline walking. Maybe a circuit dvd here and there. Some light strength (dumbells, sit-ups, push-ups)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be in the minority here but I don't do anything. The best exercise to do to become a better runner is to run. So, I fill up all my exercise time with running.

This, exactly.

Thats all I really do been considering doing some basic strength training stuff to tone up. But I really enjoy running, 8 miles 4-6 times a week. Maybe a longer run on sundays not always sometimes like 10 or a few more. Oh yea I do do the stair master occassionaly once or twice a week but that is on top of my running.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Walking, weights, volleyball
  • carollee41
    Options
    I circuit train at least twice a week...it has made me a much better runner.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I can't run every day w/o feeling sore. I have to run every other day. So...I bike or use my elliptical 1-2 days per week and run 3-4 days per week.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Spin, yoga, crossfit.
  • mrsher2
    mrsher2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for more than a decade but always had a hard time getting my body to cooperate with long runs (10 miles or up). I trained for a sprint triathlon and was able to successfully use that fitness to improve my running and endurance and completed my first half. The next year I completed triathlon training again (increasing the distances of my workouts) and was able to successfully transition from that training into a full marathon which I did with absolutely no injuries or pain other than some muscle soreness. I've found that when I'm training for distance it is really hard to do much more than the running and maybe a cross-training day of hiking or walking but that the benefit of cross-training comes from what I do before I begin the running program. I used to hate swimming but I have to say that it really is much nicer on the joints and is a great way to build up endurance.