Do you feel hungry when dieting?

Options
Normally i eat well. But as soon as i get in a diet, although im eating a good amount of calories, i feel always hungry. Think its more psychological than physic.

Replies

• Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I can't think of it as a diet. I hate the word diet. I'm thinking of it as changes I can live with forever. I don't deprive myself if I really want something.
  • kimmysueneal
    kimmysueneal Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I definitely do! The healthier I eat, the hungrier I am. It's very annoying b/c I hate feeling hungry ;(
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I can't think of it as a diet. I hate the word diet. I'm thinking of it as changes I can live with forever. I don't deprive myself if I really want something.

^^^^
    This. It's not a diet, it's a healthy balanced lifestyle that I can keep up forever. I'm hardly ever hungry and losing 1.5lbs most weeks. If you are constantly hungry your weight loss goals are probably set too high x
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

^^^^
    This. It's not a diet, it's a healthy balanced lifestyle that I can keep up forever. I'm hardly ever hungry and losing 1.5lbs most weeks. If you are constantly hungry your weight loss goals are probably set too high x
    :drinker:
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I don't cuz like the previous poster said....It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. You need to make changes for the rest of your life not just for a certain amount of time. Otherwise, u will end up right where u started. I have good days a few bad ones every month. I don't beat myself up over it and I log everything so I can see what works and what doesn't :) If I'm hungry, I eat :)
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Honestly it depends on the day. Some days I get into a eat everything on sight mood and it takes all my will power to control myself, other days I struggle to meet my cal goal...
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options

^^^^

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Making lifestyle changes is the way to go. I am not going to say I am never hungry but I will give you that I don't have any about 95% of the time. I eat on a schedule and it keeps your blood sugar stable so that you never get cravings or get hungry. Plus grouping your foods is also another way to do away with cravings. (Key is never eat a carb without a veggie and fat to stabilize your blood sugar) This is my strategy for keeping my moods stable also it has worked for me for quite a while.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Right now.

Yes.

I've got it set at 1lb of weight loss. I eat back my exercise calories. I get in a good ratio of healthy carbs, fat, and protein. I try to space my "meals" well. Still some weeks I'm just hungry a lot. Physically I mean. Stomach growling and all that.

Some weeks not so much. But mostly. Yes I am hungry.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Why do we always get so caught up on the verbiage? This person is looking for help and it never fails that people will always pick a part the word diet! If you are hungry it maybe because you are having withdrawals from certain foods! Your body has to get use to eating health foods and once it does it will be satisfied with them and it wont crave the quick fix of poor food choices! Or not I just made that up off the top of my head!!!!
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Why do we always get so caught up on the verbiage? This person is looking for help and it never fails that people will always pick a part the word diet! If you are hungry it maybe because you are having withdrawals from certain foods! Your body has to get use to eating health foods and once it does it will be satisfied with them and it wont crave the quick fix of poor food choices! Or not I just made that up off the top of my head!!!!

Because people need to make a distinction. Dieting is restriction - a form of punishment and not something you want to sustain. A positive lifestyle change on the other hand is about balance, control and learning to respect your body for the rest of your life. A positive lifestyle change is a permenant fix.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think it's mainly about finding a way to eat that works for your life. Some people feel less hungry eating small meals or snacks, some do better intermittent fasting. If I pay attention to what my body wants I tend to be less hungry than if I'm trying to be "good" and deprive myself or eat less than I should. Getting enough sleep definitely helps (~8 hours).

It would be nice if we could take back the word "diet" so it doesn't stand for starving yourself. "Lifestyle change" sounds a bit silly to me.
  • mwcraig34
    Options

Because people need to make a distinction. Dieting is restriction - a form of punishment and not something you want to sustain. A positive lifestyle change on the other hand is about balance, control and learning to respect your body for the rest of your life. A positive lifestyle change is a permenant fix.

Ok do you get a daily aformation with that too! :bigsmile:
  • mwcraig34
    Options

It would be nice if we could take back the word "diet" so it doesn't stand for starving yourself. "Lifestyle change" sounds a bit silly to me.

Thats what I'm saying!
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Yeah but the truth is that because I am losing weight right now I am restricting my calories such that they ultimately create a deficit. When I am maintaining I will eat the number of calories to maintain my weight which will hopefully be far more satisfying. So while this is not a form of punishment I hope I won't live out my days on a calorie deficit. I know the distinction you are trying to make but still it's important to note that there is also a difference between maintaining and creating a calorie deficit for loss.
  • ironanimal
    Options

O_O wut? If you mean, do I go into the bathroom and repeat 'I am not on a diet! This is a lifestyle change!' four times every morning, then no. :tongue:
  • MelsieK
    MelsieK Posts: 72
    Options

^^^^
    :drinker:

^^^agree 100%

I have times I feel hungry for sure. But more if I haven't eaten properly. I eat every 2-3 hours and make sure I'm having protein throughout the day and foods that will make me feel fuller for longer. Also drinking water constantly helps too. Sometimes when you feel hungry, it's actually a sign that your body is dehydrated.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Nope... cuz I don't "diet". I just eat sensibly! :)
  • mwcraig34
    Options

O_O wut? If you mean, do I go into the bathroom and repeat 'I am not on a diet! This is a lifestyle change!' four times every morning, then no. :tongue:

Why does it have to be in the bathroom?
  • ironanimal
    Options

Yeah but the truth is that because I am losing weight right now I am restricting my calories such that they ultimately create a deficit. When I am maintaining I will eat the number of calories to maintain my weight which will hopefully be far more satisfying. So while this is not a form of punishment I hope I won't live out my days on a calorie deficit. I know the distinction you are trying to make but still it's important to note that there is also a difference between maintaining and creating a calorie deficit for loss.
    Last thing I'm saying here 'cos the thread be derailin'

Your idea of a diet isn't the same as the general Western population. Over the years the idea that diets are restrictive, unpleasant and based on the principles of self-denial and self-punishment for making a mistake has been drilled into the heads of everyone. It is only relatively recently that these ideas are being challenged :)