Do you feel hungry when dieting?

Options

Replies

• ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have never been hungry and not eaten - I couldn't do this if I was. I'd just go back to eating all of the junk I used to, so if I'm hungry I eat, usually fruit, or something low calorie that I like. I've eaten some more of what I call junk this last week too lol but within my goals so am good with it.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Nope and if I do I fill up on fresh veggies!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Usually only around the transition points. When I transitioned from a surplus to a deficit, I felt hungry for the first several days. Even the opposite is true: when transitioning from a deficit to a surplus, the first few days where like, "whoaaa! how am i supposed to eat all these calories!"

With a little practice you can come up with a menu that meets your needs and is satiating. This often means plenty of protein and fiber. If you take most of your calories from fast food and starbucks drinks, of course you'll be more hungry than if you were eating lean meats and lots of veggies....
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I used to until I started packing protein into every meal and making sure my nutrients were balanced.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Why do we always get so caught up on the verbiage? This person is looking for help and it never fails that people will always pick a part the word diet! If you are hungry it maybe because you are having withdrawals from certain foods! Your body has to get use to eating health foods and once it does it will be satisfied with them and it wont crave the quick fix of poor food choices! Or not I just made that up off the top of my head!!!!

This is true! When I first started to eat healthier my body wasnt used to it but after a while I didn't crave the foods I used to at and wasn't hungry as often...... But its hard for me to get back on track.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    No. :drinker:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Why do we always get so caught up on the verbiage? This person is looking for help and it never fails that people will always pick a part the word diet!

Because this:
    Think its more psychological than physic.
    indicates that the OP believes it's a mental thing, rather than actual physical hunger. Perhaps, by shifting from the "diet means I am starving myself" mentality, to the "diet just means all of the foods that make up my nutritional intake, and this is a permanent change towards better health" one, something will click in the OP's head - psychologically, you see - therefore eliminating the problem.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I can't think of it as a diet. I hate the word diet. I'm thinking of it as changes I can live with forever. I don't deprive myself if I really want something.

I guess if you are still hungry you need to adjust your schedule and change things up and around I have to do that every so often sometimes it is because I am not getting enough protein in my diet or fiber. I need to go back and review what is working and what is not working. My body gets use to it. But I don't think of it as a diet either I think of it as a lifestyle change. Good luck to you I hope you find what works for you.
  • dovesinthethroneroom
    Options
    I think some of it is learning that not being full doesn't mean you feel hungry. If it's between meals eat a handful of almonds to get some protein in you and you should be good. It may be different for you, but I've found that I think clearer and my mood is better when I'm a little hungry, and so I've learned to like that feeling to an extent.
  • hannahbanana0480
    hannahbanana0480 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am always more hungry too. I think it's because I'm not stuffing my face with fried fatty goodness.
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I definitely do! The healthier I eat, the hungrier I am. It's very annoying b/c I hate feeling hungry ;(
    Exactly! This is the most big pain in the *kitten* of losing weight. Im always hungry.
  • tantalee
    Options
    I can't think of it as a diet. I hate the word diet. I'm thinking of it as changes I can live with forever. I don't deprive myself if I really want something.

^^^^
    This. It's not a diet, it's a healthy balanced lifestyle that I can keep up forever. I'm hardly ever hungry and losing 1.5lbs most weeks. If you are constantly hungry your weight loss goals are probably set too high x

The goals are realistic, but just the idea of eating things i dont like, like fruit and vegetables and grilled meat, just makes me depressed
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options

The goals are realistic, but just the idea of eating things i dont like, like fruit and vegetables and grilled meat, just makes me depressed

I've lost 23 pounds eating things I love. I simply eat them in moderation now instead of eating half a pizza at a time. There's no reason to torture yourself. Right now? A huge chili bread bowl that fits neatly into my calories for the day. I'm very rarely hungry.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I may be eating more now than I used to, just less of the junk and more of the stuff that's good for me. The way I see it, if I cannot sustain this way of eating for the rest of my life, I'm doing it wrong.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Sounds like a punishment. I've always found that eating in moderation, and making small changes work better than going all out and making huge changes that I hate and wouldn't want to abide by in the long run.
  • tantalee
    Options
    I definitely do! The healthier I eat, the hungrier I am. It's very annoying b/c I hate feeling hungry ;(

Then I would suggest you aren't eating enough. Just mho. I eat healthy, and if I'm hungry, I eat more healthy. Hence: never hungry.
    Exactly! I feel like im starving all the time unless i eat something i really like, like a small portion of fries (around 200 calories) or a little bit of chocolate (around 150 cal) by the end of the day, like a prize for being a "good girl".
  • tantalee
    Options

Sounds like a punishment. I've always found that eating in moderation, and making small changes work better than going all out and making huge changes that I hate and wouldn't want to abide by in the long run.

I want to lose weight but eating those stuff that i really dont like its just awful. So why cant i lose weight having my "every day" treat? I dont mind of the vegetables or the soup, but please please...i just want to be able to eat a small portion of fries or a little kinder chocolate. Each have less than 200 calories and make me happy. Its that so bad?
  • tantalee
    Options
    I may be eating more now than I used to, just less of the junk and more of the stuff that's good for me. The way I see it, if I cannot sustain this way of eating for the rest of my life, I'm doing it wrong.

:D
    My style :D
  • mcquilna
    mcquilna Posts: 8
    Options
    try eating more fiber. It keeps you feeling fuller, longer.
  • angie_sample
    Options
    What i do isnt a diet. This not something im going to do for 2 months to get to a certain pants size. What i have done is completely changed my lifestyle. I eat 5 times a day and i am never hungry. Eating 5 times a day isnt for everyone and it is ok for u to feel a little hungry but if ur starving u need to eat a snack. I use to think if my hands were shaking and i had headaches from hunger i would lose weight and it is quite the opposite u have to eat to lose weight. Good LUck!