Dear driver who passed me today

Options
12346»

Replies

• stufie
    stufie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The OP didn't make any sweeping generalizations about car drivers, she talked about one specifically, who acted like an a- hole.

So maybe the rest of you can stop making sweeping generalizations about cyclists.?

Yeah, thatd be great. :)

^^THIS.

Kudos to all of the cyclists who have made some great arguments in this thread. It will make me feel prouder when I ride my bike tonight.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am confused as to how people think that cyclists "own the road" as well as drivers? Do you have to pay to register your vehicle? Do you have to get an inspection sticker every year? Do you have to follow the bazillion traffic laws? Do you have to pay for insurance every month because its a law? No you don't.

So in my opinion, drivers who pay thousands of dollars a year for a car, they own the road. So when you choose to ride on a 1 lane road, and i have to go 10 mph behind you because I can't pass you, it pisses me off and makes me late. So can you not just pick a road that has a large shoulder? Or ride in a neighborhood? Or only ride on roads with at least 2 lanes so we can pass you? I'm all about you guys going out and getting exercise but choose your roads wiser.
    Precisely what I think. Austin cyclists drive where ever they damn please all up on the busy service roads, so people are constantly having to enter halfway into the other lane to go around, and from my experiences, can be hazardous. Cyclists drive me nuts, to be honest. At least pick a less busy road! Common sense.

Common sense also says that a less busy road may not be available, it all depends on the cyclist's destination.
  • stufie
    stufie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If I saw you cycling, I woulda gave you a sexy honk.

This cracked me up.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I already posted this, but at least in the US - cyclists pay as much for the road whether or not they own a car or not. Local roads are paid for out of property and sales taxes.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

And the suggestion (at least for some bikers around here)... just be smart WHERE and WHEN you bike. A two lane country road with blind curves and hills where the speed limit is 55 during rush hour may NOT be the smartest place to bike. I drive carefully, slow down for curves and hills, ect... but there needs to be some common sense used by a biker. There isn't even a dang shoulder because we live in the mountains.

*Edit* Yes, I know as a driver we should drive as safely as possible and attempt to avoid accidents with a cyclist. I am just suggesting that there may be roads that should be avoided by a cyclist for the safety of ALL.

Oh I agree with this so much! And then, on the two lane, no shoulder, 50mph speed limit twisty road with blind curves at every turn, the ride two - or THREE- ABREAST!!!! This is what ticks me off - because if I hit someone *i* will be the bad guy even though they are riding illegally.

ETA: And in MD is it illegal to ride two abreast, I saw someone pointed out that Ohio law allows it, but here it is illegal.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Oh I agree with this so much! And then, on the two lane, no shoulder, 50mph speed limit twisty road with blind curves at every turn, the ride two - or THREE- ABREAST!!!! This is what ticks me off - because if I hit someone *i* will be the bad guy even though they are riding illegally.

You might be surprised. The law favors motorists. Some have literally gotten away with murder.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

You might be surprised. The law favors motorists. Some have literally gotten away with murder.

Like that of Natasha Pettigrew:
    http://www.tbd.com/articles/2010/09/green-party-candidate-hospitalized-after-accident-12745.html
    A woman hit her with her Escalade and dragged her bike under her SUV for 3 miles and didn't even call the police right away.
    Bikeundercar.sized.jpg
    You can see the bicycle still under the vehicle...

I don't believe the woman has been found guilty of any crime. And there have been several cases of people purposefully passing cyclists and then slamming on the brakes and forcing the cyclist(s) to slam into them. One infamous individual who did this was a doctor and his attorneys attempted to get the guy cleared of charges...because it would ruin his career. :noway:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I am confused as to how people think that cyclists "own the road" as well as drivers? Do you have to pay to register your vehicle? Do you have to get an inspection sticker every year? Do you have to follow the bazillion traffic laws? Do you have to pay for insurance every month because its a law? No you don't.

So in my opinion, drivers who pay thousands of dollars a year for a car, they own the road. So when you choose to ride on a 1 lane road, and i have to go 10 mph behind you because I can't pass you, it pisses me off and makes me late. So can you not just pick a road that has a large shoulder? Or ride in a neighborhood? Or only ride on roads with at least 2 lanes so we can pass you? I'm all about you guys going out and getting exercise but choose your roads wiser.
    Precisely what I think. Austin cyclists drive where ever they damn please all up on the busy service roads, so people are constantly having to enter halfway into the other lane to go around, and from my experiences, can be hazardous. Cyclists drive me nuts, to be honest. At least pick a less busy road! Common sense.

This cracks me up. I'm thinking you should probably just move. The cyclists here in Austin aren't going anywhere and they will always be on the roads. All of the roads. Just the other day I was driving my son to school on a very busy cycling road, big groups all the time. Yes, there is a bike path, but cars also get to park there so they have to come into the main lane often, as is their right. I have no problem slowing down for them and if I can, I'll move into the opposing lane and go around. THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS ON BICYCLES. Someday, it maybe me in that bike lane or my son. Is my destination more important than that? Never.

I do wish that there were more ad campaigns like, "Be Kind to Cyclists" but for runners. Our visibility is even lower and I have almost been hit three times.