No Carbs for how long? How long could one survive?

Options
How many days could one survive without ANY carbs in their diet?

I'll be the tester since my team of doctors recommends I consume as few carbs as I possibly can. I already have medical clearance for zero carbs so don't fret. I have a team of doctors standing by.

Since my brain won't be able to function and they are essential for red blood cells and all, how long do I have to live guys? Place your bets!

And if anyone wants to take bets on whether I can maintain at least a 3.5 GPA with my non functioning brain I'm up for that too!

Replies

• MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say 13 days. GO
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I didn't say before I go crazy, I said how long could I survive! LOL
  • karmelkutie310
    karmelkutie310 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I didn't say before I go crazy, I said how long could I survive! LOL

I just did like 3 posts trying to spread the word… I had the same problem girl, there is a solution and I’d been eating for years before I knew it do any good. Google “Shirataki Pasta” you’ll be happy you did. Look it up on Youtube, and enjoy :heart:
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I know someone who was put in the hospital because she cut out carbs completely. I'm not sure cutting them out entirely is a great idea
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Ummm I would say about forever. There is no such thing as an essential carb. You could live a long happy healthy life without ever having a single gram of carbs.
  • shelton2202
    Options
    I really suggest you don't forgo carbs altogether. They are an important source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. It doesn't hurt to cut out bread products, but I'd include healthy carbs like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, new potatoes, sweet potatoes and beans. It's all about quantity. Keep your portions about like a half cup and you'll do fine. An easy plan to follow is to eat half your plate of vegetables, one quarter starchy food like potatoes, and one quarter meat. Top that off with a milk or yogurt and a piece of fruit and you can't go wrong, plus it's healthy. Free advice from a dietitian who is using this fabulous site to track my own calories! Good luck. Remember muscles need carbs and your brain prefers carbs too!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    ketogenic diet? You'll be fine and you won't die, especially under a doctor's care. I know you were being sarcastic, just saying I agree!
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    Ummm I would say about forever. There is no such thing as an essential carb. You could live a long happy healthy life without ever having a single gram of carbs.

This!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    As long as you like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-carbohydrate_diet

Great 1 year study done on explorers that had already seen it done and had done it themselves.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, maybe you should have a nutritionist menu plan for you.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    So... what are you going to eat? Just meat and water?
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    "Zero" carbs? What are you planning to eat besides steak and olives?

Personally, I don't like very low-carb diets, but I understand that many people do – so if you'd like to go low-carb, then more power to you. But be aware that a "zero-carb" diet is unhealthy and unrealistic; most foods – including basically all fruits and vegetables – do contain carbohydrates.

Edit: This is unrelated to this post, but I checked out your food diary, and I'm confused. How did you consume negative half of an apple, or negative three slices of tomato? Does not compute.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    How many days could one survive without ANY carbs in their diet?

I'll be the tester since my team of doctors recommends I consume as few carbs as I possibly can. I already have medical clearance for zero carbs so don't fret. I have a team of doctors standing by.

Since my brain won't be able to function and they are essential for red blood cells and all, how long do I have to live guys? Place your bets!

And if anyone wants to take bets on whether I can maintain at least a 3.5 GPA with my non functioning brain I'm up for that too!

Unless all you are going to eat is meat and nothing else, there is no such thing as a ZERO carb diet.

Carbs are in veggies, dairy, fruit, even eggs have .7 carb. You can get plenty of healthy carbs and not eat a single grain (rice, pasta, wheat)
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, you will either crack and binge or you will end up hospitalised for an eating disorder. Maybe you should have a nutritionist menu plan for you.

Really what's wrong with my food diary?
  • RachelsReboot
    Options

Personally, I don't like very low-carb diets, but I understand that many people do – so if you'd like to go low-carb, then more power to you. But be aware that a "zero-carb" diet is unhealthy and unrealistic; most foods – including basically all fruits and vegetables – do contain carbohydrates.

Edit: This is unrelated to this post, but I checked out your food diary, and I'm confused. How did you consume negative half of an apple, or negative three slices of tomato? Does not compute.

because it was already counted into that particular resteraunts food item or that recipe and I picked it out.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    As long as you need to. Your body does not "need" carbohydrates. It does need glucose. While carbohydrates are the macronutrient most quickly converted to glucose, protein is also eventually converted to glucose. YMMV based on your activity level. Many diabetics and others with metabolic disorders follow an extremely low carb diet. You can google Dr. Richard Bernstein
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, maybe you should have a nutritionist menu plan for you.

I do, and again I ask you what's wrong with my food diary?
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options

because it was already counted into that particular resteraunts food item or that recipe and I picked it out.

Ah, that makes sense. I was really confused at first...
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you could survive quite a while, but be healthy...I doubt it.

From what I heard eskimos ate a mainly carb free diet (Although they did eat vegetation out of animal stomachs)
    and fermented some of their food.

Your intake would be like 70% fat and 30% protein. I dunno, but that's a pretty gross diet.