Losing inches, not weight... How do i change this?

Options

Replies

• evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Why would you rather lose weight instead of inches? Weight is just a number on the scale. Inches are what people see. The inches lost will allow you to fit into smaller clothes. The weight will soon follow. Don't be down about this, it's really a good thing! You're doing awesome!!!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is still AMAZING.

I would not change a thing.

You want to lose fat not muscle and that's just what you are doing.

So, congrats!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    This happens to me and it's hard not to be frustrated at the scale, but I've learned that as long as I'm losing inches, it means that fat is shrinking and muscle (which takes up less space than fat) is growing therefore making me look slimmer. Much better. I at one time in my life weighed 160 lbs and went from a 16 to almost a 10 and my scale never moved off of 160.
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have not been losing alot of weight either but I have lost inches and my clothes are fitting so much better. I'm trying really hard not to be bugged by the # on the scale since it really seems like it's not mattering in terms of my clothes fitting better. I've tightened up and gotten smaller by doing cardio and lifting weights. I'd like to see the # go down a bit faster but I'll take what I've got because I know that I do look better. According to my husband and people who have not seen me in awhile.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My mind is boggled. Sounds like your doing an awesome job, dont stop what u r doing.
    Nobody is going to stick you on a scale to decide if you're attractive. Your body is getting stronger and dispensing with bodyfat. Keep doing what you're doing.
    This
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Nobody is going to stick you on a scale to decide if you're attractive. Your body is getting stronger and dispensing with bodyfat. Keep doing what you're doing.

I love this!!! ^^^
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    What others have said...plus you're 5 days into 30 DS...I promise by the end you'll love the results. Don't forget to take before and after pics.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Losing inches and feeling my clothes getting too big makes me much happier than a couple pounds down on the scale does! I'm learning that what the scale says does not define who I am...
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The same thing has happened to me! I've been dieting for 2 years and only lost 25 pounds! The scale wouldn't budge for a year but I've gone from a 20 women's jean to a 16 women's jean and a 2x top to a 14/16 top! Don't get discouraged! Just keep doing what you are doing! Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less! I started eating a lot more and the last few days the scale moved 1.5 pounds down for the first time in over a year! Good luck to you!
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There is a woman on MFP who is 4 inches shorter than me (I'm 5'9" and 139) and weighs only 3 lbs less than me - but she looks AMAZING - totally cut arms, tiny waist and gorgeous legs. Her weight - though probably a bit high for her height according to charts - is totally irrelevant because she looks amazing and is in top condition. I also have a friend (not on MFP) who is 2 inches shorter than me and at 5'7" hovers around 110 lbs. She looks horrible and she is obsessed with a number on the scale. She doesn't feed her body, doesn't work out and is the definition of skinny fat. Her face is gaunt and her arms and legs have no muscle tone. She is weak and always getting sick.

Which one would you rather be?

It is hard to let go of the number in your head - but what everyone says is right. Weight is just a number and how you look and feel is FAR more important. If you are losing inches you may rock your wedding dress while weighing more than you did 5 years ago. Congratulations on losing inches!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    People can only see your body. Your weight isn't tattoed across your forehead.

Not sure what height you are but keep doing what you're doing. It will bring results. How many calories are you on?

Finally no you are not doing too much strength. I'd say you're not doing enough but to each their own :)
  • watercolormama
    watercolormama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is the best feeling. While strength/weight training tones us, it is cardio that burns the calories seriously. Three days a week I do a mix of 40 minutes on the elliptical and a 40-minute weight program mixed with 2 minute cardio every two exercises. I've heard from a trainer that is one of the best ways to work out. I joined a weight lifting class a couple years ago and the trainer eventually had us doing our workouts like that. When the class ended I quit doing it that way. Now I'm back to it and it really does burn the calories and build heart strength. The other 2-3 days I walk for an hour, using my arms in a 'power walk' ....you can google that up to see how it's done properly, but the posture and way you use your feet, abs and arms helps you to walk faster and it automatically works the back of the arms. That is a bonus for me. All the clothes that were formerly uncomfortable in the arms now fit with room to spare. That extra dedicated cardio buys me extra calories which are kind of fun to spend on certain days. Good luck with your journey.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i'm like that too.
  • tinlee
    tinlee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel. I can't get the scale to budge, either. Just try to stay Zen about it and keep working.

I think in my case I feel jealous when I see all the tickers on mfp with astounding poundage losses.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? That's all I can add - I'd love to lose inches. Gaining muscle increases your metabolism and your clothes will start falling off.

So, up your water, you're probably retaining fluid from your workouts - I know I do. Have to remember to not do strength day before weigh day to make my scale move more.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shoosh413
    shoosh413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    Are you serious? I weigh 2 pounds more than I did a year ago but have 6% less body fat and my clothes are lose and you can see muscles in my arms and abs. And I look like I lost 10 pounds. Am I complaining bc the scale says I am "fatter" Hell no! Muscle burns more calories than fat so if you keep building muscle, that alone will burn off fat. You can eat more and/or exercise less. Throw your scale away!
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale away! Plain and simple!